CairnTalk

Our Brave Little Farm Manager

Dempsy's Mom

Hi you guys!  It's been a long time since I have checked in.  On September 7th at 4:00 pm Dempsy, our farm manager, left us and took a better job.  He loved it here and hated to move on but the benefits were better and the job more permanent.  So with great remorse I gave Dempsy a loving fairwell. 

It was time.  A couple of months ago I made an appointment for him, but I called and cancelled.  The vet said, "you can use a guideline of 5 things that Dempsy likes to do and still does."  So barking at the cows, barking at Jim, eating, peepeeing, loves being with us.  That took us out a couple of months more, but it weighs heavy on your mind.  You want to do right.  So after a few more months of sharing life with Demps, I made the hard decision to put Dempsy in his final resting place.  He rode in my lap on the way uptown.  I breathed in his smell and loved him all the way.  I told Demps he didn't have to wear his peepee pad today - today was all about freedom.  He loved attention and loved all the people around him.  Five of us.  He simply fell to sleep.  I gathered him up in my arms.  The vet helped me out the door and opened up the back door of the car ... "No.  Demps will ride in my lap, just like he came."  and away we drove.  home.  As I held him I realized that Demps wasn't there.  This was just an adorable little shell that Demps stayed in.  His sweet little face was there.  His delicate little hairs were there.  His beautiful paws and that wonderful body that was like an army tank.  All the tangible things were there, but not Demps.  His spirit soaked itself up right in my heart.  Demps was now in me.  With that knowledge it was easier to wrap him up in his blankey and lie him in his resting place.  Elsie is a little lost.  She tries to bark at the cows, but they don't listen to her.  This video shows Dempsy's spirit best.  Hope all of you are doing great with your pooches.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

IMG_3071.thumb.JPG.ddbbc91c382d64cec7e9eb868409f586.JPGIMG_3072.thumb.JPG.b675191f3f235c9dfb3454f1a65ddf92.JPG

I remember how excited I was to find cairn talk.  I was so excited about Dempsy and wanted to know all about cairns.  You folks are all so fun and have so much knowledge and experiences to share.  Very greatful for you all. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh Lori, this hit me really hard. I had missed not hearing from you and Dempsy and wondered what was going on, but never expected this.

Thank you for letting us know. Your wonderful stories about Dempsy will always stay with everyone here, together with the pain of his loss.

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Lori I loved Dempsey as one of my own ..the stories about the best darn farm manager on a farm in South Dakota were one of the highlights every time I opened up the forum. Thank you for being such an amazing Cairn mum...Elsie no doubt will miss him too.  

Dempsey and Jock and many other Cairns that have left us are no doubt on another amazing journey. I will miss all the stories about this wonderful wee dog.

FF08D17C-F6FC-4B58-88C7-3F0AEDEDFEFA.jpeg

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh nooo...this breaks my heart.  I loved Dempsey and the wonderful stories you shared with us.  He had the best life a Cairn could ask for - running through the fields, finding mice, rats, etc.  He was so lucky!!!! Hugs to you and your little family - he is in your heart and I am so glad you were able to carry him home on your lap...

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

Here's to Demps -- the only Cairntalk cairn besides mine I ever met in person.  He was curious, friendly, had good house manners, enjoyed a treat, and knew how important it is to take a good nap...I take comfort that he has joined Allie, who found him a good napping buddy, and hope there is a kitchen at the Rainbow Bridge where they could fence in T Bone when Demps came in.

Sometimes, Lori, I check in on Cairntalk, and my first reaction is an "OH NO." Happened with Packy, Buffy, Echo, most recently Doug's little Kat. For me this was somehow even bigger than that. Yes, I met Demps -- but your stories and videos made him (and you) such a close friend. 

He lived the life most cairns can only dream of.  From a rescue dog to the life of Riley on a farm! And people -- and some close doggy friends -- who adored him, pampered him, and loved him beyond belief. You did him proud. 

I can only hope that some day there is another cairn in your future. But whether or not there is, do not go away! Stay here, stay in touch.  Losing your both would be much too great a loss.  

Here's to Demps. Good dog. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm so sorry to see this...so sorry for the loss of Dempsey.  I've not had a chance to be on here much, but your posts about Dempsey were always a favorite. ❤️

• Like 3
Becky & Tanner

So sorry for your loss.  Through your stories, even us city folk, became fans of the most dedicated farm manager on four legs.

Rest easy Dempsy, your work here is done.

• Like 3

Who rescued whom?

I came on here this morning to post something about Sassy, but that can wait for now.

I am heartbroken and so sad for your loss.

The cows in heaven are shaking in their hooves.

Dempsy was the superstar of farm managers. No one but Elsie could possibly replace him.

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

We had alot of good stories, didn't we?  I do have a yearning for another cairn .... they are just a special breed.  Elsie is part cairn and I love her, but she doesn't have the special quirks that Demps had.  Her nature has sure changed since Dempsy left - she doesn't let me out of her sight.  Elsie is with me in the combine.  We sit in the combine and talk about Demps.  Dempsy sure has left a hole.  Yes, there is comfort in knowing that Demps had it made in life.  Dempsy was always humble about being so privileged to have farm life.  

Thank you Kathryn for your kind words.  Dempsy brought us together and it is a memory I will hold dear.  It was alot of fun visiting you and I think of you every time I hit the cities.  Life is busy and fleeting, but someday I hope to show up on your doorstep.  I would love to meet Oban.  I am glad I shared my loss with you folks ... it has brought me a soothing feeling. ❤️ Thank you all again and I wish you all the best.  I will keep in touch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I don't think any of us will forget Dempsey and his stories. So sad he has left us but so comforted by what a and good life he had with you and what a gentle caring passage to that place where quite a few of our cairn friends are waiting for him.

• Like 5

Sad to read about Dempsy’s passing. He was a very special little dog.

I’m glad that you have Elsie to comfort you.

Thanks for everything you have shared over the years.

• Like 3

Lori, I just saw this and I'm in tears.  Just yesterday I was thinking of you and Demps and wondering if you were beginning to harvest yet.  Dempsy had (and has) a special place in my heart and I'll miss your stories and videos of his adventures.  He was probably the happiest of all Cairns; you gave him a huge farm to roam, a wonderful sidekick in Elsie, and all the love in the world.  Every dog should be so lucky.  Hugs to you and Elsie.  Look after each other.

• Like 6

lori

am sorry to hear about Demps He was so special,kept us entertained with his work. We will all miss him and keep you in our. Thoughts and prayers

• Like 3

Echoing Sanford: This really hits me hard. Thanks you so much for sharing him with us. I always looked forward to learning of his adventures and his friendship with Elsie. Watching himon the Gator was pure joy. It was icing on the cake that he was almost an identical twin to my Redmon. I will miss Dempsy very much, like many I felt he was a part of my life, and all my best wishes are with you. Thank you, Demps. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 4

I only come on  this Forum every so often, and am so sad to read about Dempsey.  I loved the stories about his activities on the farm.  He had a wonderful life and will certainly be missed.  

• Like 2

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Aw, Lori, I haven’t been on for quite a while so I’m just reading about Dempsey.  I’m so, so sorry.  Just like everyone else, I loved reading about his work and exploits as farm manager.  Tell you what, Packy was right up there waiting for him because I always told Packy what Demps was up to.  I’m sure Packy already has him fishing and Demps is teaching Packy how to tell those cows what to do!  

And you’re right, he’s in your heart and will never leave...  💕

• Like 7
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Lori, I loved reading about Dempsey and all his adventures.  He has had so many friends and experiences living with you and Jim on the farm.  I have the picture of Dempsey and the little cow you had going to the nursing home to visit people in my thoughts often.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories and i hope to hear more from you in the future.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Like the others, this hit me hard.  

I don't know what to say except I send love and peace to you and Jim and Elsie.

Thank you for sharing his wonderful life with us.  

• Like 1

Lori, I am also late to this thread but I want you to know that I grieve for your Dempsey along with the others here.  I don't wish to pick at what must even two months later be an open wound to your heart but I want you to know I do care and am thinking of you this beautiful Idaho morning.  Peace.

Morning watch, framed no caption.JPG

• Like 6

I'm so sorry for your loss and especially sorry this is quite belated. These amazing little fur-balls become such a large part of our lives and unfortunately they take that large part of our heart with them when they leave. We are about a year out from such a loss and with the help of a couple new furry family additions the good memories are are finally overtaking the painful ones to some degree. I hope that can happen soon for you as well.

God Bless you and yours, he already blessed Dempsey by giving him you  to share his love and his life with.

All the best.

• Like 1

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

• 2 months later...

I just came back to the board, after being away for a long time myself, and finding this sad news of Dempsey's passing.  He was such a staple on the forum and I so loved reading about his antics on the farm.  I hope that you and your family are doing a little better with time passing.  Your memories of all the happy times you had with Dempsey will comfort you in the days ahead.  Take care and god bless.

• Like 1