CairnTalk

I Never Thought I'd Write This ...

Rate this topic

Karan

<<sigh>> I need to vent!

I've had 5 Cairns (one at a time) before I got the whirling dervish named Lucy, age 2.5 yrs.  Here's the 411:

Ditzy, Erica, and Graysen were here, living in harmony, until 8 days ago. 

Ditzy is a perfect Cairn, trained by me, a rescue @ age 2.5 yrs.  She's now 8. 

Erica is a rescued calico cat - got her when she was 10 yrs., she's now 14 and really grouchy cuz of arthritis. 

Graysen is a stray American Bobtail cat who chose us a yr. ago.  He's about 3 yrs.

I've trained all of my Cairns, from pups to adults. Use rewards and repetition. Have not used a crate. Always on leash outside.

Ditz gets daily walks except when the weather is intolerable in NC. 

So ... I hear about a 2.5 yo female spayed Cairn. Her owners just declared bankruptcy; the mom died 2 yrs. ago from cancer in her early 50's; Dad is somehow unable to work and has not for years (mid 50's); 24 yo son is mentally and physically handicapped.  19 yr daughter was paying bills via her survivor's SS; she turned 18 and it went away. She is a 4.0 student and is now away at college for her 2nd year.  The house just sold via short sale. Medically uninsured, the Mom's bills are impossible for them to pay down.  So, in a crazy moment, I agree to take her - the Cairn - because that's what I do - rescue Cairns and cats.  The daughter is arranging everything - finding a subsidized apt for her dad and brother; finding a home for Lucy the Cairn and Bambi the kitten.

Lucy seemed great  via telephone.  Doggie obedience school, etc.  The daughter asked me to take a 5 mo. old kitten, also.  In an insane moment, I agreed.  During the 1 week interval between agreeing to take the dynamic duo and picking them up, the son, sitting in a recliner, gets up and closes it on the kitten.  The kitty was bleeding from the nose & mouth and was at the emergency vet on a Sat. evening when daughter calls me, wailing about the kitty, named Bambi.  I agree to pay the emergency bill, which ended up being $1100.  <<grrrrrrrr>>>  Lil Bambi seems to be okay after several days of treatments.  I tell the daughter that I'll keep the animals until she wants them back (and is able to keep them wherever she is living at that time).

Lucy looks like a Scottie/Cairn mix and had never been groomed.  Her coat is  totally blown. I strip my Cairns' coats. I can handle that, although Lucy hates it. I'm about 3/4 done stripping her. 

Lucy and the kit love to play chase and wrestle, which means that Lucy would love to chase the 2 older cats.  Graysen can handle himself with Lucy, although he stayed in the woods for 2 days  after seeing her in the house.  I can't blame him.  I want to go camp out for 2 days, also!  Erica, though, is terrified of the kitten and Lucy, both of whom want to chase and harass her.  So, we set up Erica and Graysen in another part of the house and shut the hall door. 

Lucy and Ditzie have been friends from the get-go.  It's like a grand conspiracy - Lucy has convinced Ditz that chasing cats is fun and okay to do.  Ditz has never chased cats until now.  Now, if I let go of the leash, Lucy and the cat are running around the house like the Keystone Cops.  The kit knocks over everything within jumping range.  They'll go for 2 hours without stopping.

Lucy only goes potty on a leash - we have a dog proof fenced back yard.  Go potty by herself?  Noooooo.  Ditz is trained to "go potty" and sit at the door, quietly, until we let her in.  Lucy refuses to go down the steps, or ramp (put in for my last Cairn when she was elderly), so I put a leash on and lead her down the ramp, pulling her along.  Treats do no good.  If I release her at the bottom of the ramp, she runs up the opposite stairs and goes to the door.  She jumps, yelps, and scratches at the door.  She has not gone potty.  She will pee if I take her into the yard but will not poop on or off of leash.  I keep her on a leash, inside the house, trying to catch her pooping.  No luck.  I let go of the leash to change the laundry from the washer into the dryer. The leash handle was on a door knob.  She escapes and poops.  Every day.

I have a crate; she howls.  I let her get hungry and put a treat inside of it.  She refuses. 

Lucy barks.  A lot.  At everything.  When I clap my hands and say, "No bark!", Ditz cowers.  Lucy keeps barking.  A treat when she stops is a reward for barking in her mind.  She will howl like a hound sometimes - really!   Like a hound hearing a train whistle!

Lucy runs out of an open door. And won't come back. Ditz wouldn't think of going out of the open door. 

Lucy jumps up on people and scratches our legs because I haven't done her  nails yet.  Ditz sits quietly.  Lucy jumps up on the furniture.  Ditz waits to be invited. 

The kitten is nuts. She picks up the end of the leash and carries it with her mouth; Lucy follows her.  I won't go into how disruptive the kitten is.  Trust me, I've had many kittens/cats before.  This one is crazy! 

Lucy and the kitten eat the other pets' food while they are eating.  Ditz does not mind; the cats let her do it.  Ditz knows not to eat car food and generally does not. 

so .....  I got Ditz at the same age that Lucy is now.  She was untrained.  She had her tail between her legs for 3 months before she smiled.  Lucy has a different personality. 

In a week, I have not been able to get Lucy to sit on command, which is the first thing I teach my dogs.  She will "down" or roll over when I say "Sit."  I give up after 5 minutes, put the goody away, and find her sitting in the next room. Sitting!  I have to keep her on a leash with me at all times. If the kit is in another part of the house, Lucy whines until she can see the kit again. 

I am at a loss trying to train this adolescent deliquent.  I have never had a dog either this stubborn or this dumb!  I'm exhausted and frustrated!  I'm ready to call the daughter and tell her that I'll keep Lucy and the kit until she can rehome them again. 

If anyone in Va. or NC want a cute little Cairn, .... and are willing to foster it until the daughter is out of college, ....  and take the tabby bob tail, ...... :-)

Thanks for listening.  Gotta go cook dinner. 

Karen the Cairn

Whew!  As the saying goes... One can't keep score without a scorecard! I can't comment until I create a spread-sheet in order to track who is who, and who is doing what to whom, but my main concern is not for Ditzie, Lucy, Erica, Bambi, etc., etc... My main concern is for your sanity!😜

Out of the constellation of problems you described, my feeble brain was able to only focus on one, (maybe more, later). You say when you clap your hands to correct Lucy, Ditz cowers. Perhaps a spray bottle of water, or tossing a soft baseball cap at Lucy would spare Ditz's nerves.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Col. Potter Cairn Rescue has a foster program specifically for temporary situations such as yours. They have volunteers all across the country and can be contacted online.

Bottom line... I sincerely admire you efforts and devotion, but your mention of Keystone Kops conjured up a hilarious image that I really enjoyed and I meant no disrespect. I hope you can keep up the good work you are doing and wish you all the best.👍

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks for your kind note and support.  Here is a list of the cast of characters:

Original pets in my home:

Ditzy - 8 yo Cairn

Graysen - 3 yo cat

Erica - 14 yo cat

Newly fostered:

Lucy - 2.5 yo Cairn/Scottie

Bambi - 5 mo. kitten

Karen the Cairn

• Like 2

i can see why you are frazzled. as you already know, 2-3 years is an extraordinarily difficult time (the worst, i think) in any cairn's life. in two years lucy could be a calm, easier-to-handle lady, but you clearly don't feel you can get there. like sanford i compliment you on making sure she is safe till you can find her a permanent home. it's a foster situation, and as stanford said there must be several organizations that can help you get lucy to a safe home. in the meantime just want to express admiration. whatever happens wtih lucy, she's lucky to be with you right now. 

Karan and PK's reference to cairn behavior at 2-3 years reminds me that when I adopted Ruffy at 3 yrs. old, I was so freaked out by his frantic, non-stop energy and antics that I actually bought a Pet Accident Insurance Policy, (as opposed to a vet health insurance policy)!

Now that he's approaching 11, he's calmed way down to the point that I'm even a bit nostalgic for those long-ago crazy days.🙃

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

1 hour ago, sanford said:

I'm even a bit nostalgic for those long-ago crazy days.🙃

No need to feel nostalgic..Sam is 1.5 yrs old...heading into to two, if you would like to borrow him let me know. 🤪😈

• Haha 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Agree two to three are wild times in a cairn's life! Lucy could be a while before she settles somewhat. How lucky for her she is with you. Hope things work out one way or another. Let us know if you are able

Sounds like my house!  I have 2 baby gates (one for the hall so that cat can escape Brodie), one for the kitchen and another glass door that I can shut and enclose the family/tv room and keep and eye on Brodie.  Brodie got into my friend's purse yesterday (I warned her not to put it on the floor) and chewed up her lip liner stick...uh oh.  He won't go out to the fake grass to pee or poop (I finally figured that out) so now I leash him up and take him out to the front yard where there is real grass! Today he stood by the front door!  These young Cairns are a handful!!! I feel your pain and think you are wonderful for offering to help out this family but I also agree that Colonel Potter is a good suggestion...if the kitten is cute and young you might try finding a new home for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pepper's Mom

This is too exhausting!

We have a 14 month irrepressible Cairn, Katie, after 40 years with Westies which included Westie rescue volunteering.

Sometimes even the rescuers need rescuing!

I would contact the daughter and get her permission for you to find a forever home NOW.  Telling her that It is far easier to place a kitten than a cat and the kitten, like all the pets, deserves her own  permanent loving home. And she , the daughter, needs less uncertainty. She has done an incredible job of sorting out family and pets. Now time to focus on herself.

As for Lucy...she is a challenge! these terriers, once something is learned, unlearning is difficult. I can only image that her brain is in a spin. Maybe with less (kitten) drama, she will be able to relax a little and focus on new learning.

We had a rescue, Sprout, who would only potty in a dog run. Trouble was we had just moved to a unfenced house and our Westies pottied on leash. Our solution was to make a fenced run out of X-pens. We were able to place her in a home with a yard. 

Wishing you the best.

Much thanks for rescuing. Keep us posted.

Dianne

• Like 1

I wish I could help you by taking Lucy, but my Molly doesn’t get along well with other animals. It’s the one thing I can not get through to her. We do cage her and have used it when all else doesn’t work, like doing laps in the house. She also sleeps in a big cage and will put herself to bed. It’s has become her own little den when she needs down time. I like the lease idea. It helps her to know who is in charge in the house. It’s sounds like she might have been where she came from. 

Has far as the pooping problem. Try walking her on the sidewalk or driveway.  Especially with all the rain we have had this summer. I know Molly will not go in the grass if there is standing water or if the grass gets too high. Most of the time she goes outside. Every once in a while she decides not to tell us she has to go. She does her business in the kitchen and then come tells us, so we can clean it up. I figure we are making progress since she is not cleaning it up herself. Yuck 🤢. One time she got past the hall gate and did it in the bathroom. Now I wish my bathroom was big enough for a pee pad. 

Overall it sounds like you are doing a great job with her. Once she feels confident that you will be there for her and loved, I bet she will settle down. 

By the way I am in the same stormy state,  NC. 

Laverne

• Like 1