CairnTalk

Toto Trot 2018

bradl

While a smaller event than some years the Toto Trot this year still managed to raise over $500 for our designated beneficiary.

We had a nice walk through a park on a pretty pleasant summer morning. Not too hot and the rain didn't start until we were all packed up and on our way home. Perfect for people and dogs!

Helping us with the Oz theme we had two great Dorothy's — here's adorable junior Dorothy, aka Georgia.

large.IMG_1266.jpg.07d3e2e6759153854f204

I put some photos on our club album here (other members sometimes add more photos later). 

By great good fortune while planning the event I learned we had a piper in the neighborhood and he graciously gave us a proper start to our walk.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I think we should organize something like this in Minnesota as fundraiser too! It's a really good cause- and looks like loads of fun.

• Like 1

Wow! I counted 18 cairns... An impressive turnout!

(It was somewhat reassuring to see that most of them were constantly pulling ahead on the leashes as they walked... Just like Ruffy does - except when he's stubbornly pulling in the opposite direction!😀 No loose-leash walking with these guys... I guess it must be a "cairn thing").

Edited by sanford
  • Haha 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ha ha I was thinking exactly the same Sanford! 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

can you go on the road? i'd love the toto trot to come to my town. it can snowball, as you cross the country hundreds more join. end with ticker tape down Fifth Avenue.

• Like 2

All Cairns want to be in the lead, or so it seems. Dundee finally settled down to a loose lead walk — after 1.25 miles :P 

We had 19 Cairns checked in, but I think due to owner infirmity one possibly stayed back at the registration table to chat and visit. 

One charming thing was a member who brought two dogs was able to loan one of them to a Cairnless supporter. This was a couple who had come 300 miles (!) to the event because they had recently lost their Cairn and correctly surmised the event might be a good place to get a Cairn fix. 

The Cairn force is strong.

pk, love the visual. Imagine the pandemonium cairndemonium along the way :P 

• Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

4 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

can you go on the road? i'd love the toto trot to come to my town. it can snowball, as you cross the country hundreds more join. end with ticker tape down Fifth Avenue.

There is an annual event in NYC called the Tartan Day Parade. Bagpipes, drums, Kilts, etc., + a week of celebrations. Best of all, Scottie and Westie owners are encouraged to bring their pooches. Tried to attend, but no luck so far. I’m told this year there were 1 or 2 Scottish Deerhounds and always cairns as well. You can see pix online.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I love the idea of the ghost balloons recalling cairns whose bodies are no longer with us but whose spirit still remains.

• Like 3

And Alberta really isn’t that far....lots of good Scottish type terriers in our area. 💕

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 11 months later...

It was. I work weekends so wasn't able to be there except in spirit but Peggy said it was fairly well attended with around 20 Cairns (estimated) and a few park passerby who joined in (always nice when that happens). The club managed to raise around $450 dollars in direct donations for this year's beneficiaries.

Vicky M. Posted some photos (https://www.crctc.org/gallery/category/89-2019-toto-trot/).

Okay, I really have to start one of these in the Twin Cities.  Winston is from nearby, right? Want to join in?

We have about 4 cairns right in our neighborhood (a true sign we are living among like-minded people in the right neighborhood!). Minneapolis is famous for its park system.  And "Dorothy" was originally from Minnesota (Judy Garland, that is...). 

I think I will talk to some folks from the local club - SuMac Cairns -- and see if we can get this going...

I am on the look-out for a pair of ruby slippers...

• Like 2