CairnTalk

Prayers and Scared

gd4

Hi all, I am beyond myself with upset. Our just over a year old female got into my husband's boat shoes last night. Apparently, she ate one of the white leather shoelaces and parts of the other one. This happened before we went to bed last night and I didn't find the shoe until 3 am this morning. She was crated overnight and did not throw up. Therefore, it is too late to have her throw up. She is acting normal and eating her treats and ate some food this morning to which I added pumpkin. I also contacted the vet who I am bringing her to see tomorrow, regardless --- if all is okay through today and tonight. The vet was not overly alarmed and stated that if she chewed in pieces, it will likely pass. If she did not , it could cause an obstruction but she may still pass it and/or vomit it. Hopefully, by tomorrow. She told me to feed her small amounts frequently to try to keep her moving. Either way, the vet tried to calm me down and tell me that the fact that we acted promptly, she will be okay. I pray that she does not have to have surgery. So far, she acts fine but I know it has not had time to go through, yet. She had a small bm this morning but that was likely food from earlier in the evening yesterday. I am so upset. We have to watch her diligently but this time was a sneaky move after we fell asleep in the chair. Has anyone ever had this happen with their pups?

Shoes.jpg

I can understand why you would be upset - I would be too. But try not to panic. Pups do this kind of thing all the time. The shoelaces are leather, a natural product which many dogs - domestic and wild, chew on and swallow. As far as I know canine digestive systems break down leather rather efficiently. For now try to focus on the positive attitude of your vet.

P.S. One of my cairns once ate the tongues out of a pair of leather moccasins I carelessly left on the floor. No ill effects at all, but amittedly they were not long shoelaces, which is the source of your worry.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks, Sanford. Little pup has given us so many scares since we've had her, I hope we can once more get lucky. Yes, it is the length of laces that trouble me. My hope is that she chewed them in pieces before swallowing. On a side note, I found a small piece a little while ago in her bm after dinner. Let's hope things begin to pass smoothly the next day or so!

I love the baby so much but she has given me many gray hairs of late. Thank you!

• Like 1

It is nerve-wracking and easy to understand your concern. Of the many inappropriate things that dogs can and do eat I would put a leather shoelace on the preferable end of the scale. We had a dog eat the entirety of a 56" long resco cordo-hyde leash, minus the part around her neck (which included the brass clamp) and the last six inches which she couldn't manage to get into her mouth.  It all came out in the end. Will hold a good thought the same is true for your little dickens.

resco.jpg

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you so much, hheldorfer and bradl. Wow, bradl! What a story to share :) Let's hope that she continues to pass the laces, whew! As a precaution, I'm still taking her to see the Vet tomorrow. She is a special little one!

Brodie keeps me on pins and needles!  I cannot turn my back on him because he grabs, chews and runs!  If he is quiet he is chewing on something he shouldn't - yesterday it was the end of the spray water bottle that we use to spray him with when he is naughty - I had it on the picnic table on the deck!  He chewed up the Iphone cable the other day.  I hope and pray that he slows down one of these days....

• Haha 2

Pepper's Mom

Pepper's Mom, Brodie and Trina Joy would have  grand time together. I am happy to report that today the laces are passing. I found several bits and one long piece in her bm. She also had a trip to the vet who stated that she thinks we are okay. We are hopeful that she swallowed in these small pieces. :)

Let's continue to hope for good news!

• Like 3

That's wonderful! After all you've been through, the final indignity is examining poop for pieces of laces. Who knows? You might even get lucky and find a diamond earring... It has happened!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!