CairnTalk

glucosamine

Guest dog person

Guest dog person

Supplements are not all benign.     Recently started my cairn on glucosamine for diagnosis of  probable mild arthritis symptoms.  Other anomalies ruled out via x-rays and examination.

Two weeks in, side effects of GI distress and occasional vomiting started.   Glucosamine is in the trash.   Most supplements are a waste of money.    Although, I think fish oil is okay.

Hopeful symptoms will resolve within 72 hours....,

Edited by dog person

We've given our older dogs glucosamine (per vet's recommendation) for years and never had an issue.  I wonder if the type you purchased has some additive that caused the stomach upset?  

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry your dog experienced ill effects :( 

Like hheldorfer we too have had no ill effects with glucosamine so far (our 14 y/o takes it daily, as did Echo from ages 14-16) but like most things mileage can vary and dogs vary. 

I had a terrible experience with a medication where a mere change in manufacturer of the same generic drug resulted in a dramatic change in negative side effect. I had been taking it without issue for a long time previously. I suspect perhaps something in the binder that manufacturer used, or a theoretically inactive ingredient.

• Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person
9 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

We've given our older dogs glucosamine (per vet's recommendation) for years and never had an issue.  I wonder if the type you purchased has some additive that caused the stomach upset?  

It's possible, I used a brand that had Bayer as it's parent company.   The glucosamine sold at my vets office is double the cost.  I compared the ingredients and they were very similar.     I'm leery of supplements anyway.   I will keep him active, I want to take him swimming.  I will find other ways to manage his occasional arthritis which is mild.

He's better today, luckily he was only sick for 1 day and I made sure he was holding down fluids, so we didn't have to go to the vet.

PS:  Below is an excerpt from https://nextgendog.com/glucosamine-chondroitin-for-dogs/

Supplements containing glucosamine and chondroitin may cause side effects, which if they occur, are usually gastrointestinal.

Mild side effects include vomiting or abnormal feces production (either diarrhea or constipation).

The symptoms are often alleviated if the dose of the supplement is reduced, or alternatively, given with food.

Edited by dog person

I think you have to be careful about the brand you buy which might or might not be what your vet sells. Unfortunately just like docs for people vets often get meds promoted to them by salesmen 

Consumer Lab tested several brands for dogs and not all were what they claimed to be. It did seem that the ones which delivered the amount stated helped the dogs tested. I've had quite a few old doggies in my life but surprisingly none with arthritis. Have plenty of it myself to make up for that !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest dog person
11 minutes ago, Hillscreek said:

I think you have to be careful about the brand you buy which might or might not be what your vet sells. Unfortunately just like docs for people vets often get meds promoted to them by salesmen 

That's just it, glucosamine supplements and such are not medication, they are classified as vitamins or dietary supplements.    Meaning, they are not screened by the FDA.    I will discuss with my vet next time we go in, but I am not convinced that glucosamine does that much and if it is going to cause GI upset.  No thanks.

"Vitamin products are regulated by FDA as "Dietary Supplements." The law defines dietary supplements, in part, as products taken by mouth that contain a "dietary ingredient" intended to supplement the diet".

"Listed in the "dietary ingredient" category are not only vitamins, but minerals, botanicals products, amino acids, and substances such as enzymes, microbial probiotics, and metabolites. Dietary supplements can also be extracts or concentrates, and may be found in many forms. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 requires that all such products be labeled as dietary supplements".

"In June 2007, FDA established dietary supplement "current Good Manufacturing Practice" (cGMP) regulations requiring that manufacturers evaluate their products through testing identity, purity, strength, and composition".    https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm118079.htm