CairnTalk

Teeth cleaning

Account Deleted

Account Deleted

I manage to brush Otis teeth once a day, but only for like 30 seconds. I also have a dental scraper but now that he is older- not so much😂 I do give him 2 baby carrots a day, and only other snack is tablespoon of  fage greek yogurt for a snack, he gets a cup of wellness core divided for two meals with natural pets g. I. intestinal support sorinkled on both meals with wild salmon oil. He has such a sensitive stomach. Anyways point is with limited food his teeth aren’t that bad except inside where there is s little tartar, not so much.  Any suggestions? I do not want to do scaling because of putting him under. 

Edited by Account Deleted

Guest dog person

Regarding dental cleanings, the anesthesia they use nowadays is not as harsh as years ago.

If your vet recommends a professional cleaning, I would do it.

Your vet may recommend  pre-op bloodwork, it is not mandatory, you may have the option of declining (depends on the vet).

You drop the pet off in the morning and in most cases the dog is home by suppertime.   

Supplements and food choices will have little to no effect on periodontal disease.     Many of these things are genetic, small breeds tend to have lousy teeth.

Daily brushing does help, I use Petrodex (Chewy dot com 6.2 oz tube) and a medium adult toothbrush, I brush my dogs teeth twice a day, it only takes less than 5 minutes each time.    In my experience most small breeds need about 1 or 2 professional dental cleanings per lifetime and that is with the daily brushing.    The daily brushings are a bit of a chore, but worth it in my opinion.    YouTube has some excellent how to videos, just search "how to brush a dog's teeth"

PS: Don't fall for the dental cleaning with no anesthesia scams, it's just cosmetic, most of the trouble is under the gumline, not visible.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2013/06/dental-disease-in-dogs-and-cats-does-treatment-improve-health/     excerpt below

Dental disease, especially periodontal disease, is very common in dogs and cats. Though affected pets rarely show obvious or severe symptoms, periodontal disease is undoubtedly a source of significant discomfort. The only accurate way to diagnose, characterize, and treat periodontal disease is with a thorough oral examination, dental x-rays, and appropriate cleaning and often extraction or endodontic treatment of infected teeth. This can only be accomplished under general anesthesia.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

I was just curious. His teeth are pearly white. I don’t brush his teeth twice a day I brush them once a day. And carrots help with the tarter. He doesn’t get his next check up until next April I’m sure the vet will let me know if he needs his teeth done. I also put dental rinse in his water that helps with the tarter/plaque buildup. I use the same toothpaste with the toothbrush that has brushes on both ends made for dogs only. It really works well as one size smaller than the other. My vet says that it does help that I 944AED3C-AE51-4ABC-9ED9-AA5CA63B9BF9.thumb.jpeg.d0e72adea28317625df2afc0d972c86f.jpegbrush the teeth but that isnt going to stop all the build up eventually as you said their teeth have issues being the smaller breeds. I keep him on a strict diet just because of a sensitive stomach. And I do not want him to  have a weight issue as these dogs tend to do, He is at a perfect weight now. Thanks for your advice much appreciated! I keep him on the G.I. intestinal support because he stools stay nice and firm with that.

Guest dog person
I don't condone any supplements except those that are recommended by a veterinarian that has examined the pet, even then it probably would be best to purchase from the veterinary clinic.    Lots of phony baloney stuff out there.   If you purchase from the vet clinic they will stand by you if your pet has an adverse reaction or you want to return the product.

Btw:   I only give regular size raw carrots, baby carrots are often bleached/chemically treated and are a choking hazard due to their size.

Account Deleted

I was just curious. His teeth are pearly white. I don’t brush his teeth twice a day I brush them once a day. And carrots help with the tarter. He doesn’t get his next check up until next April I’m sure the vet will let me know if he needs his teeth done. I also put dental rinse in his water that helps with the tarter/plaque buildup. I use the same toothpaste with the toothbrush that has brushes on both ends made for dogs only. It really works well as one size smaller than the other. My vet says that it does help that I 944AED3C-AE51-4ABC-9ED9-AA5CA63B9BF9.thumb.jpeg.d0e72adea28317625df2afc0d972c86f.jpegbrush the teeth but that isnt going to stop all the build up eventually as you said their teeth have issues being the smaller breeds. I keep him on a strict diet just because of a sensitive stomach. And I do not want him to  have a weight issue as these dogs tend to do, He is at a perfect weight now. Thanks for your advice much appreciated! I keep him on the G.I. intestinal support because he stools stay nice and firm with that.

Account Deleted

I rinse the carrots and scrub them before he gets them never been an issue at all with him.

And as for the natural pet supplement they have kept his stool firm, And this is the only thing that ever worked on him. Vets don’t know everything they often recommend foriflora And that does nothing. I’ll stick what works for me and Otis.  So far I have a healthy happy dog. 

After going through a bout of diarrhea with him I am happy that he is well again.

As always thanks for your insight have a blessed day!

• Like 2

We have had Rosie’s teeth done by a company that works out of a Veterinarians office that does anesthetic free cleaning. Our own vet has approved the work they do. Rosie is six years old now and has beautiful teeth, the gums are not inflamed and as long as that remains so we will not have her go under anesthetic. Rosie and Sam both get yearly check ups with our regular vet who always checks their teeth. We also  brush their teeth every day.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Account Deleted

Awesome!  Definitely look into that thank you so much you have been so helpful and I’m so glad your little babies are doing well! Otis lets me brush his teeth but I think it’s because he loves the taste of the toothpaste LOL Have a blessed day!