CairnTalk

Cairn humour

Sam I Am

I remember when I first got our previous Cairn, Jock, that his breeder at the time told me they all have different personalities. Well those words ring true with Sam. I have never had a dog with such an incredible  sense of humour. If he could he would burst out laughing I am sure. Example: Sam knows very well that he is not allowed to take sock, books cell phones glasses, etc . He patiently waits till we are distracted, at that point and it can be a nano second, the item is grabbed, and with madly wagging tail, sheepishly trots away. Me in hot pursuit telling him, no Sam no, he then drops the item and no word of a lie he has a big grin on his face. I had a friend over for coffee And cheesecake on our deck in the garden. Our neighbours came out and I introduced my friend ....I turned around and the last piece of cheesecake was gone....a very happy Cairn was sitting beside the coffee table looking very pleased with himself. Again with a huge grin on his face. Of course the problem is I just can’t get angry at him...we have a stand up comic that has four legs that makes me laugh every day. 🤣💕. 

Please share your stories of mischievous and funny Cairns.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Our Daisy has a long rap sheet on grand theft, evading arrest and criminal mischief. She's about to turn 1 y.o. and already a jd!

Her thing is shoes, includes leather, flip flop, sandal, whatever qualifies as foot cover. She follows us into the bedroom and waits for the opportunity to snatch your shoe so she can run under the bed where you can't reach her. Usually the broom will flush her out and rescue the item. We finally had to block off under bed access to her. She thinks it's great fun to have you chase her around trying to catch her before damage is done. Have had to throw out a few things along the way.

We'd be quite mad at her if she wasn't so stinkin' cute!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brodie is HORRIBLE for stealing things and chewing them up before I can catch and grab him!!! Socks, dish towels, paper clip, glasses, small toys (grandkids left toyroom door open!), leaves, flowers, paper, shoes, etc.  He is so fast!!! Chomp, chomp, chomp!  Tries to chew and swallow before I can catch him...gives me more grey hairs than my teenage daughter did!  He just turned 1 year old on May 5....

Brodie 04.20.2018.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Pepper's Mom

It’s a miracle our Cairns reach old age given their garbage gut appetites. Never a dull moment that’s for sure. Why are they so darn naughty?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Look at Brodie's sweet face! I'd think you'd be making all this stuff up except I know better.

I may have told this story before but here it is again.Young Angus liked to work to get visitors' attention. So I thought it best to put him on the leash (a lightweight cotton one I always use). Visitor came. We chatted. Angus sat quietly by the side of my chair while we talked. I was secretly SO pleased........was he finally learning to be "a good boy" when I needed him to be? Then all of a sudden a furry cairn jumped on my visitor's lap! What??!! How could this be? Looking down I saw a leash chewed through. Looking back up the other end was dangling from his collar.  What could we do but laugh and grudging admit he was a smart boy to sit so sweet and quiet and be so naughty at the same time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hillscreek, that's a cute story. So "Cairn"... I could see the whole scene in my mind while reading it. Thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

When Robby was a pup he would steal stuff and chew it up .when i would find whatever it  was his tail would wag and his body would shake like he was trying to laugh but just wasn't able to make the sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Did I forget to mention that last week Brodie stole a tampon from my granddaughter's purse - the poor boyfriend had to retrieve it!!!  AAGGGHHH!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Pepper's Mom

Tag team: Haggis used to be able to leap high enough to grab a sponge off the countertop. He didn't do anything other than fetch the sponge — he was giving them to Barley so SHE could turn it into a pile of sponge-crumbs. 

Just a thoughtful, helpful guy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Remember when you were a kid and you'd be given an orange sliced with the peel on, then you'd put the peel in your mouth between your teeth and lips,  and turn and smile at your friends with nothing but orange peel showing?  Loki grabbed something on the morning walk one day when he was a pup.  I didn't see what it was, but he turned to me and all I saw was orange peel and his smile.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who rescued whom?

Have had a couple Cairns over the years, and now Dougal is our latest family member.  Either I'm getting much older or this breed has evolved into something much faster than I recall.  To sum it up, Dougal came without an on/off button.  He will be 6 months of age on June 22nd,  and the puppy tooth stage is almost a memory.  Miracles can happen...lol.

In summary he is becoming more mature and a joy to be around.  How can one get upset when they are so darn cute.  Cairns also are cheap entertainment providing new things to laugh at every day.  Dougal is now 11.2 lbs and will probably be on the small side, which we prefer....easier to pick up.  He has alreadyt taken several 5 hour trips back and forth to my property in eastern Washington which has helped him become a good traveler.  Sits up and looks out his car seat at all the world has to offer.  My son's dog Rico who is five,  is his ranch buddy providing hours of playtime while we are over there working.  When they first met, Rico was more than twice Dougal's size, but now they are almost equal size wise.     

Dougal21.JPG

Dougal22.JPG

• Like 6