CairnTalk

Dougal Met a Yellow Jacket

Wacenturion

Well yesterday Dougal caught himself a nice fat yellow jacket when I took him outside to do his thing around 8 a.m.  He quickly spit it out where I saw it and stepped on it.  Watched him closely and saw no swelling or any change in personality until around 11:30 where he began to be quieter.  That is unusual for him being a pup without a stop button.  Apparently it took the venom awhile to take effect in his case.

Started to vomit off and on from noon till 1:15 (about 4 times total) and fortunately I was able to get him an appointment at my vet's office at 2:15.  Vet wasn't too concerned as no noticeable swelling etc.  Gave him a shot of Benadryl, some fluids and a Cerenia injectable.  He seems to be fine the rest of the evening although he wasn't hungry.  

Back to normal today.  Tough little guy.  

Cerenia is an antiemetic, prescription-required medication FDA approved for use in dogs 8 weeks of age or older for the prevention of acute vomiting and vomiting due to motion sickness.

Edited by Wacenturion
  • Like 1

somehow i don't think dougal will be making that mistake again. at some point they have to learn that not everything that fits into the mouth should go into the mouth. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 1

That must have been frightening!  Had it happen to a dog of mine quite a few years ago.  (Had it happen to myself, too, and it's no fun!)

Glad Dougal is on the mend!

Thank goodness he’s ok. I know someone whose dog ingested a wasp, landed up in ICU for 5 days. The emerg vet told the owner that the venom went systemic and almost killed the dog. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thatis scary!Happened to Keira when she was About 5 months old. Now she heads inside also she heads inside when she smell s the hint of skunk!