CairnTalk

All the great things about Cairns???

Shuki

Following on from my last Post where we are looking at adopting an 11 year old Cairns I would love to hear what all the good points are about this breed. I have no experience with them as a breed and our current dog is a cavoodle. 

Guest dog person

The main thing I would consider if I was you, would be:  Does the dog get along with my current dog?

The only way to find this out is to have the dogs meet.     We could tell you good things about cairns all day long but none of that matters if your current dog does not like him.    Dogs can have personality clashes just like people do, regardless of the breed or sex.

Cairns have some bad traits too, lol

Have you met the dog?   Have the visits gone well?

Can I afford the care of another dog, in example, unexpected vet bills and senior issues that may or may not come up for 2 dogs instead of just one.  

More dog food.  More heartworm preventives.  More flea/tick preventives.   More grooming.

Do you have the time to walk/exercise 2 dogs?   

No guarantees with anything in life.    I would jump in and try it out!  Or not, if you have concerns.

It may very well go smoothly.   Just have a backup plan in place for the pup in the off chance it doesn't work out.   

Edited by dog person

we all know the dues one pays for raising a cairn puppy --and they are puppies a long time, sometimes till they are 4 years old. and we know the rewards of the dues --a mature, loyal, sympathetic, funny, inspiring companion. it is hard to resist getting the best of both --a mature cairn who needs and deserves a some serious golden years. the stress is behind you, the wonders are all there. 

• Like 3

1. They don't shed - or shed minimally. 

2. Low maintenance - They have no natural body odor and their harsh coats shed dirt -  some folks only bathe them once a year, and some never do - with no ill effects. ( in fact, too much bathing can be bad for their skin).

3. The typical, shaggy natural look leaves a lot of latitude when it comes to coat care and home grooming, as opposed to $$$ for professional groomers fees.

4. A word I've heard applied to cairns is that they are not "biddable" dogs. A characteristic of many terriers - and cairns in particular -  is that they are very independent and think for themselves.  Whether or not this is a good point depends on the upright. I find their attitude, intelligence and stubbornness a constant source of fascination and delight  - others perhaps not so much.

🙂The list goes on...

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

My boy is thirteen years old and just now starting to act like a senior. He still does zoomies when he’s wet (from a bath or from the rain. My Cairn has a thin, long, soft coat that does not repel water or dirt and mats easily, but I can attest that he still smells great. He smells like baby powder most of the time except when he’s hot).  He runs to the couch to rub against it and roll on his back every time he eats, or feels good or wants to dry off his beard, scratch an itch, etc.  He’s slowly losing some of his hearing but he’s still an alert guard dog, and very interested in everything I do.  He follows me from room to room (except when I go upstairs. He’s figured out that if he lays by the garage, he can hear footsteps echoing from overhead and keep track of where I am without having to run upstairs.). He’s still a tracker; he is very persistent about following smells and staying put until he’s had a good sniff. He’s a Houdini at slipping out of harnesses and collars. I have yet to find something he can’t wriggle out of.  He used to be motivated primarily by praise and playtime: now he’d rather have food than go outside.  He still growls and squirms when I pick him up, but he likes snuggling with me in my recliner and tries to hog my footspace on my bed at least once a night.  

He’s very quiet most of the time. He does not make much noise unless he’s giving an alert “I thought I heard something” bark. 

He rumbles/purrs when he’s happy and he likes to drape a paw on my hand when I pet him.  

He’s very easy-going even in new situations. As long as he has a blanket to curl up on and has me nearby, he trusts that I will protect him from overly rambunctious dogs and toddlers, and care for him if he does not feel good. 

One major issue: he has IBS and acid reflux, so I have to make sure he eats a meal every eight hours. He’ll throw up bile otherwise, and he gets the runs from stress or diet changes.  Adding Glandex powdered pumpkin to his food has helped him with his bowel issues.  A lot of people on here use canned pumpkin or Forti Flora for occasional stomach upsets with their cairns, and many people report that their cairns can eat anything without problems, so it depends on the individual dog. 

Nikki is also protective of his face and back, so he snarls at other dogs if they keep poking him with their noses or paws. He was attacked by another dog a long time ago (possibly because he holds his tail and ears up straight when he meets other dogs and never acts submissive), so his history could be the source of his cantankerousness.  

That’s about all I can think of to mention. There are a lot of pros to owning an older Cairn (alert, somewhat playful, tons of personality, couch potato, easy going, adaptable, curious, knows its own strengths and limits) and potential cons (might have a sensitive tummy, a resourceful thief, escape artist, beggar, digger, might snarl at people and other dogs, ATTITUDE, self importance, assertiveness.) Like the others said, it mainly depends on how your dog gets along with the Cairn.

*** Most Cairns stay reserved around new people in new places for about a week, so the behavior you observe may not be the actual personality of the dog.  Young Cairns test their limits soon after they start feeling comfortable in their new surroundings. Senior Cairns tend to stand back and observe and explore at their own pace for a while before they start showing some spunk. They might growl to express their opinions and see how you react to them. Play growls are normal, “don’t pick me up! I’m a big dog!” growls are normal, “back off! This bone is mine!” growls are normal, “you startled me!” squeal or snap is normal.  A very excited Cairn might utter “the screech of death”, making high pitched crazy sounding squeals and growls and snarls, but you might not ever hear it.   

I can’t think of anything else to mention at the moment. Good luck and thanks for checking in with us for advice! 

• Like 2

All I have to say is..NEVER A DULL MOMENT.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

You know, your question sort of tested my ability to describe the personality and traits of the Cairn Terrier in a few words--Cairns are, I believe, best described as intelligent, independent, assertive, little dogs that adopt well to most circumstances--they are a "one size fits all" kind of canine.  Having said that, much of those beneficial things have a lot to do with how the particular dog was raised in the first place--there may be some rough edges that you, as a new owner, have to polish off a bit once you bring the dog into a new environment.  We have adopted a couple of mature Cairns and had absolutely no trouble with either once we mutually (the dogs and us) figured out each other.
My best advice, sans experiencing one live and in person, is to review all the dozens of YouTube videos on the web--there are enough, I think, to give you a pretty good idea what these wonderful little dogs are like in most circumstances.  If you spend a few hours on line, you ought to come away some basic knowledge about what you are likely to encounter with the Cairn.
Good luck and let  us know what you decide.

• Like 2