CairnTalk

One cairn or two?

Min D

Our male cairn - Tewcsby- is 2 years old now, he has not been “ fixed” yet......we are thinking about getting another cairn. Thought about looking for an adult but they seem pretty hard to find. So we are thinking about a puppy...

Looking for advise-

-is 2 better than 1?

-we’re thinking a female would be best with our male, I have had 2 males ( not cairns) in the past and after a year they were trying to kill each other, so I’m afraid of that.

- we travel a fair bit, is travelling with 2 much more difficult than 1?

- one of them will have to get fixed- which one?

- will he leave the female “alone” ( sexually) or will it be too much for her?

- my other cairn that has passed away never was interested in another dog, Tewcsby seems to be yearning for a friend...

any thoughts / advise would be appreciated.

Idaho Cairns

We have found two Cairns better than one simply because they form bonds that relieves us from the single dog seeking attention all the time.  Our two entertain each other regularly, they fall into behavior "routines" that are interesting to watch develop and mature.
We have always had two neutered females so I can't speak to male Cairns or their behaviors.  Our females get along famously, we have never had a serious altercation between the two of them.

Never had 2 so I have no experience to offer, but I have frequently read on this site that 2 are ideal, as per Idaho's post, above. Most folks advise that opposite sex companions are best.

I'm curious to know your reasons for neutering only one instead of both.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person

Here is an article you may find helpful

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/12/evidence-update-evaluating-the-benefits-risks-of-neutering-in-dogs-and-cats/

I currently have a male cairn and a female small breed,  both fixed.

The cairn was fixed when I found him,  the female small breed was fixed when she was about 7 months.

In the past I had an uneutered male small breed that went nuts when I brought a female puppy into the mix.

Constantly trying to hump her (relentless), marking in the house and an increase in aggressive behavior.   Even after the female was fixed.   He did calm down a bit as he got older but I would not want to go through that again!

Even neutered males know when a female is intact by her scent.    They will instinctively try to mate,  that's what dogs do.

According to the link I provided females are more likely to suffer more problems if not spayed than males will if they are not neutered.

Edited by dog person