CairnTalk

Coprophagia

tlwtheq

The first observation Nelly's prior owner made when we brought Nelly back for grooming was that our Girl had gained "rolls" of fat on her neck.  In spite of all the adjustments we've made that problem has not been mitigated.  She's always so HUNGRY...she wants to eat gerbil food, rabbit food, and Max's food.  And then, when all is said and done she wants to eat Max's poop...and sometimes her own poop.  We got some stuff from "GNC Pets" that calls itself, "Stool-No!", and have been giving it to Nelly and Max on a daily basis.  Doesn't seem to help.  My next offer to DH is that I will follow them outdoors, after they eat, and sprinkle hot pepper sauce on any deposited poop.  Any reactions to this situation?  Thanks, Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Guest dog person

The only thing that I and other pet owners know that works is to follow the dog around when he or she is due for a bowel movement.

Scoop and discard immediately.   Out of sight, out of mind.   In fact, after a while they stop turning around to look for it.

Some dogs just have this nasty habit.   Sometimes puppies will outgrow it, but some never do.  These dogs can never be left alone with their feces.   That's the only effective method I know of.    Luckily the 2 that I have now don't do this,  but I have had one or two in the past  :-(

The supplements are a waste of money and don't work.  Hot sauce doesn't work either and anyway dog feces should be picked up immediately, as soon as it hits the ground.

Feed measured amounts of food with a splash of water 2 times a day, no or minimal snacks, you will be able to predict when a bm will happen.   Don't free feed/leave food down.

Good luck

Guest dog person

I am assuming that she had lab work and a physical prior to being spayed and adopted and all was within normal limits.

As there are some medical conditions that can cause excessive hunger.   Just saying.  

When Kirby was young, I tried putting Tabasco on the single thing he wanted to chew, the corner of our staircase.  Wouldn't you know, he loved the taste of Tabasco!  So, that might not work.  I agree that just picking it up immediately is the best solution.  I had to do that with Phinney when he was a puppy; luckily he grew out of it.

As for the always hungry part, you might check the protein content of the food you’re feeding.  We switched out the flavor of the dogs’ food a while back, same brand (Taste of the Wild), but DH thought they needed a change of taste.  I was feeding the same amount as the previous flavor but Phinney was always ravenous.  I finally looked at the nutritional content of both flavors and found that the first one had a higher protein content.  I switched them back and Phinney’s hunger was satisfied.  

Good luck with both!

• Thanks 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Dundee has always been a poop eater. Not all the time, but frequently, if allowed. The only thing we do is (a) watch him and interrupt if we see he's showing interest in a new pile and (b) follow the dogs out and scoop after pooping. He can't eat what isn't there.

We also call him Dungdee on these occasions but he doesn't get the hint.

• Haha 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Only thing I found worked was to scoop poop as soon as it was deposited.

Angus and some of the other dogs I've owned were very greedy and would have eaten till they burst if I let them! If after vet check they were deemed healthy gave hardly any treats and maintained their regular sized meals, ignoring pleas for more. On walks kept on leash. In yard supervised and/or on a long line. I wondered if that kind of "hunger' was mental or emotional but could never figure it out.

• Like 1

Read that MSG on the dog's food will prevent poop eating. Remember when MSG was supposed to be harmful. Gradually rehabilitated and shown not to be harmful. Now used again to enhance flavor in food - google UMAMI .

I've no idea if it works but it is something to try to heal deal with this problem.

Guest dog person

I would not recommend MSG.  I believe it to be toxic to dogs and humans.

Furthermore, most of the deterrents (including meat tenderizers) contain MSG anyway.  It is listed under a multitude of names.

I find prevention is often easier or more effective than remediation (hence picking up rather than trying to make poop unpalatable). The occasional surprise lunge for poop discovered in the wild or out-and-about seems to be part of life with dogs; poop in the backyard I have some chance of exercising control over. I'd rather not have to be "poop monitor" and have been blessed with relatively few dedicated poop-eaters, but since I got one, I gotta do what I gotta do. 

I accept Mayo Clinic re MSG. Not concerned, personally.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I've seen online or read most of these remedies.  Thanks for everyone's contributions.  I guess the group consensus is just to be observant and pick up as poop occurs...which is what DH argued to begin with.  And yes, I had read, and then seen on documentaries, that poop-eating is natural for canines, as it is helpful in times of famine, especially with litters of pups to feed.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg