CairnTalk

Gardens and Cairns

Sam I Am

Sure he looks innocent....but he is a canine excavator! One flower bed now has been rototilled..this is our 4th terrier and our first digger. The garden hose of death has now been taken out of the garden shed ...Sam has a slightly wet head.🤭

15564949-E347-4189-B0BD-5959F024DA68.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Sam, make her show the pictures of the garden otherwise these are just TRUMPed up charges so she can justify spraying you down.

Sassy

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I know Sassy, what’s wrong with the upright..I saved her a whole lot of trouble of having to dig the flower bed . Hummpppp.....ungrateful woman.

Sam

• Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I can't imagine what the problem is here.  Humans can dig in the garden, so why can't dogs?  We're trying to be flippin' helpful!  

Humans are stupid.

Nattie

• Haha 2

Oban is our first digger, of four cairns! In about a week or so, when I see plants coming up, he is going to be banned from the garden (and our whole yard is garden, with flowers, shrubs, and patios) until around October.   He has no respect for how beautiful a bed is, or how rare a particular plant. 

He get a couple of really good walks every day, and we have neighbors and friends with good fenced yards where he can play with other dogs. But he is just not allowed in the garden (off the leash, anyway). I have trained some of the terrier out of him, but this is one thing he just will not give up...

160.jpg

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 3

Kathryn as a gardener myself I absolutely love your garden! Wow ...just wow💕

It must have taken a Long time to create such a green haven.

Edited by Terrier lover

I am blessed with Kelly. She has always been a digger but seems to instantly knows what not to dig up. She knows she can dig up the orange daylilies and that is the only thing she has ever dug up.

I have just had my garden made over and now have raised borders as had to keep putting pots between plants to stop Ivy having a sniff and dig session!  mainly though had it done to assist me as it will make it easier for weeding and make garden look tidier!  It was done on Tuesday and we have lots of rain since so plants are well watered in!  And Ivy so far, so good, has not shown any interest whatever in the raised borders!!  hope that she stays that way.......

40782326355_f27ec2583f.jpgP1010110 by Josephine Dunster, on Flickr

Edited by josie&holly
add
  • Like 2

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Lynn in TN -- Just a quick alert: daylilies are a part of the onion family (indeed, sometimes folks recommend using the flowers in salads). This means they can be quite harmful to any dog that eats them, flowers or leaves or roots.  We have a neighbor whose little frenchie pup ate daylilies and had seizures.  She was eventually okay, but they had no idea their flowers could cause such harm...

@Kathryn Kelly hasn't shown any interest in eating them. She just wants to rid the yard of them. It is the funniest thing. She will dig when I dig, and compete with my small little roto tiller, and thats it. Of course she steals my cucumbers and raspberries, doesn't touch the onions. lol

• Haha 1

Nattie and I spent the day in the garden yesterday.  I think she's catching on and realizing that only the humans get to dig and that tromping through the plantings is a no-no.  God bless her, she LOVES being outside and I love having a gardening partner.

• Like 3

Adorable...and frustrating all at the same time!  FWIW, I made a big sandbox in the yard for the kids years ago under the swing set.  The kids were never that interested, but Divot LOVES it!  So when I'm out gardening, I'll bury a toy or two out there.  He goes nuts!  It keeps him busy and happy.  So even though the swing set is going this summer, the sandbox stays.  :-) 

Brilliant!

Here is a copy of an article I saved.

No, we haven't built it.

So far Katie has been content to dig briefly at the gopher holes that are sprouting daily and which we then fill back in. This has been the worst, most numerous gopher presence we have had in 15 years! If it doesn't abate soon, we will have to call a critter getter to rid them with canine safe methods. 

pupp dig2.jpg