CairnTalk

Looking for Adult Cairn to Adopt

karwask

Hi All,

Not so very long ago, I decided, being newly retired, that I had the time, energy and band with to take on having dog (s) again after many years. In between my having two black labs about 10 years ago, I had guinea pigs. They were super sweet and I loved them and with the passing of the last one, I found my 12 year old rescue Cairn, Jack, in November of 2017. And, I have totally and completely fallen in love with this breed and Jack the dog! 

He is so attached to me and I love him so much, that it scares me. For an older guy, he is still plenty playful and I think we would both benefit from having another dog now and I'd like it to be another Cairn. So, I'm putting it out there in case anyone here knows of an adult Cairn that needs a home. I think there are breeders on here and hope if this is the case, that they contact me, appropriately, privately, using the forum as intended. 

In reading similar past posts, I've taken the advice to heart. I'm in touch with numerous rescue organizations and Petfinder, etc. Have looked at another rescue dog as recently as today but that didn't work out. I found the Cairn Terrier NW club and nationwide one and sent off emails to the breeders listed there in OR, and WA and I've been in touch with some from ID as well and one in CA. 

Trying to navigate the rescue situation from afar is very challenging. Often, as was the case today, they will not hold a dog until you show up requiring me to drive great distances and I'm happy and willing to do that for a dog that might be a good fit. 

So, please keep me in mind. 

Thanks all and here's a picture of Jack in the driver seat of my motorhome. He was a real trouper when I took a month and 1/2 long trip down to CA and out to the desert:)

20180228_095632.jpg

• Like 4

Best of luck, hope you find one soon.....I’ve had lots a dogs before, but none has stolen my heart like a cairn. 

• Like 1

Jack looks like such a sweetheart! I adopted Carrington when I retired. He was 10 years old at the time and lived until almost 17. Like Jack, he was full of boundless energy and in good health well into his mid teens, until his last year when his age caught up with him. I think this longevity may be a breed characteristic,  that in general, many cairns are active and energetic well into their senior years, 

it sounds like you've made many good connections, so I'm sure a possibile adoption will appear soon. In my case, it took longer than I expected, but the reason was a good one... The volunteer cairn terrier rescue organizations I contacted put a lot of effort into placing the right cairn in the right home and they go through a detailed process of interviews and paperwork. In spite of the delay that this caused, I appreciated their thoroughness and commitment to the dogs.

Your patience and waiting will pay off, with great dividends for you and Jack. Let us know how things work out!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sanford,

Yes, indeed. The process of working with the rescues is very, very, thorough and time consuming. As  you know, in case others don't, they have lengthy and extensive questionnaires. They ask for many references as well as the contact information for your veterinarian and they do call all of them. Many also do a home visit. I am scheduled for one now. As you say, this is all in the interest of doing all they can to screen potential adopters to be sure the dog is going to a good and safe home. I very much appreciate all of the attention given to placing these little darlings by both the overall breeder community and for sure the rescue organizations. 

Yesterday I traveled to a shelter in Salem, OR, as there was a 2 year old female Cairn there that looked promising and, again, it was one of the rescue folks who called and alerted me that she was there. Unfortunately, when she met Jack, she demonstrated that she had an overly developed food and toy protection instinct and went after him. She is also quite wild and active and it will take a good deal of doing, IMHO working with her, to get her calmed down a bit and able to be trained. 

As much as I understand that what one sees in a shelter environment is not an accurate picture of the dog in general, there also has to be some things that I can and will work with and some things that I can't so this meeting yesterday was instuctive and helpful in that regard. Jack also had had "issues" when I adopted him (for example he bit the prior adopter more than once and she returned him after two months) but there were extenuating circumstances (as in she had cats at home and he was trying to kill them and she grabbed him to stop him and we all know about focused Cairns and not physically trying to force them to do something, right?). The rescue should have never allowed him to be placed in a home with cats but they simply didn't know. I suspected that with my drama and cat free household here, that I could work with Jack and that has been the case with biting not an issue now = a great outcome!

thanks,

- karen

• Like 2

We know there is a cairn out there waiting to join you and Jack. Great to adopt a needy boy/girl and great that you know what you can work with and what is not right for your particular circumstances.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

• Like 1

I think it's wonderful that you want to adopt another rescue Cairn.  It certainly takes patience and determination to maneuver through all the paperwork/requirements and find the right dog.  I'm sure there's one out there for you.  Good luck and keep us posted!

great homes for older dogs are desperately needed, i'm so glad you are looking. you are sure to find the right fit, and we are so happy for jack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, 

Am now in touch with all of the breeders in the country, I think:). Also, all of the big rescues and also doing a search on Petfinder. Am surprised that there are Cairns in the rescues just like Jack was. I just missed out on one in Salem, OR this week and I did go to see one at another rescue in Salem last week but she wasn't  a good match for Jack. So, I'm not in any hurry and want whatever happens to be the right thing. I'm sure when the time is right, the best dog will be there and we will work it out. Really appreciating all of the support and kind words:).

- k

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Just something in the way of a good news update:

Thanks so much for support and encouragement about finding a second, adult, Cairn to adopt. You would not believe how difficult this can be. I was in touch with a few gals who put out the word to virtually all of the breeders across the country, and I was in touch with several breeders directly along the way as well. In addition, had search set up in Petfinder and have been vetted and in touch with the rescue organizations even being assigned a matchmaker with Colonel Potter:) = nice.

In the end, amazingly, Tucker came up as not to far away and available. Shelters here will almost never hold a dog unless you are there in person but with a lot of begging and pleading, this one, in Portland, OR was willing to give me a few hours to drive up to meet  him. I arrived just a 1/2 hour before my hold expired and there was already a second hold on him. He was only at the shelter for a day. 

Amazingly, it worked out great that he and Jack got on with no signs of potential difficulty. I feel so lucky! Jack is a "velcro" dog, also a rescue (12) and I was worried that he would not tolerate another dog, especially next to me on the couch during snuggle time but he was very generous with allowing Tucker to be in our lives:). Tucker is 7. His owner turned him in due to divorce; not having ability to continue to care for him. Have a few things to manage, not major.

Noticing a significant difference in energy level = to be expected. Will probably take Tucker on extra walks for that.

So happy! Amazed it all came together in the end:).

tucker at the shelter.jpg

tucker and jack meet .jpg

Tucker At Home.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
23 hours ago, wellygoggles said:

How's it working out with Tucker karwask?

Thanks for asking. Overall things have worked out quite well. There are times when Tucker will be a bit aggressive with Jack but mostly they get on fine and all is well. Having two is really fun, feels like my little family. Also, cause Tucker walks so fast and Jack so slowly, it's really difficult to walk them together. So, most of the time, I have to walk them individually and as a result, I'm walking an additional 5100 steps a day, I figured out. With really bad arthritis and needing to keep on moving, this has turned out to be a blessing for me. I have also lost about 25 pounds (with some dietary changes too) but mostly because of all of the walking I'm doing these days:).

I too, have fallen in love with this breed. 

:)

20180724_124202.jpg

20180720_175053.jpg

jack tuk in casita.jpg

Edited by karwask
  • Like 7

Persistence pays off. Cairn owners are a bit like cairns in this way I think.:)

Congratulations and best wishes for fun years ahead.

• Like 2

Guest dog person

The one on the right looks just like my guy (last pic).    Note the mischievous look in his eyes    😈

PS: You can think of Tucker as your very own personal trainer, lol

Think of all the money you'll save by not having to go to the gym!

Edited by dog person

On October 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM, sanford said:

Jennifer Aniston pays her stylist $$$ for the same hairdo!😜 

Here's some proof. I rest my case:

IMG_1185.JPG

1859607555_jacktukincasita.thumb.jpg.8ba24d4448fd8b119fa21876df053ece.jpg

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!