CairnTalk

Pup's Appetitie

gd4

Hi everyone,

Little Trina Joy will be one year old on May 31. I have switched her diet and did the appropriate working in over about a week. It's been about two weeks now. Before she was eating only dry kibble 1/2 cup am and pm with at times, a little organic canned pumpkin mixed in. She became picky so I switched her from Merrick Duck and Sweet Potato to Merrick Lamb and Sweet Potato kibble. It is grain free. To get her to eat, I mix in a little of the Merrick Lil' Plates variety of wet (only about a hearty teaspoon) with 1/3 cup of the Merrick Lamb and Sweet Potato dry. Sometimes, I might mix in a little of the pumpkin. I've noticed that she never finishes her am or pm meal (1/3 cup dry am and pm with wet topping). She acts healthy, energetic and loves her turkey jerky treats and other little treats. It seems that she doesn't eat as hearty. Is this normal? Her bm are not as abundant as before but I'm assuming it is because of the food change and less amount eaten.

Thank you!

Edited by gd4

Guest dog person

I always add a little water or plain home made chicken broth (no salt, nothing added) and a bite of chopped up boiled chicken meat or scrambled egg, something,  to the kibble.  I only use canned food once in a while, no more than once or twice a month.

I consider the kibble to be a base,  2 meals per day, amounts sound similar to what you are feeding   (20 pound dog)

I stopped buying processed treats a long time ago.

For treats I stick with a bite of the kibble,  or a raw carrot (1/3rd).

Don't know if this helps....,

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

You're welcome.

Don't be alarmed if you see carrot chunks in the feces.  They don't really digest carrots but they benefit from the fiber and it's low calorie.  The chewing is good exercise for their jaws (imo)  I don't do bones anymore, that didn't work out.

Not all dogs like carrots, mine eat anything.   Don't get the baby carrots, choking hazard plus I believe they are bleached or treated with something?

Observe the dog with the carrot (I/3rd) to make sure that the dog doesn't try to gulp it down.  Mine nibble on it, that's what you want to see.

I wouldn't give more than once a day (potential for loose stools)

Edited by dog person

Prior to getting Dougal we had a couple Sealyham Terriers, Rosie the mom and Rosebud her daughter.  They absolutely loved carrots.  In fact better than other treats.  Dougal loves carrots as well.  I'm however careful as DP said to monitor his consumption.  I started by giving very small little bites to see if he liked them.  Great treat in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! The problem I have with Trina Joy is she is a garbage can terrier. She tries to eat everything but her food. Outside, she eats rabbit poo, or anything else she can get into when I am not on top of her. In the house, I have to keep her in playpens and careful eye as she has given me countless scares with bedding, carpet, etc. It is very frustrating. I want to keep her healthy but she has a mind of her own. Her food appetite is just lackluster. :(

Guest dog person

What you describe sounds like pica.

https://m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_coprophagia_and_pica

PS:  A lot of dogs have a taste for rabbit feces, as long as the dog is on heartworm meds that should prevent problems.

That is what my friend's vet told her,  you can only watch them so closely.  Try not to worry.    

Edited by dog person

Hi !

We share your joy and frustrations!

Katie is almost the same age (6/2/2017).

If she can put into her mouth...canine vacuum! .We have been very vigilant as she has to be walked for potty as we have a yard, but not able to fence it. We have deer and raccoons strolling through. And then the dangerous walk around the neighborhood where nails and screws and pebbles and acorns etc. After a $$$ emergency visit we now have pet insurance!

Monday she didn't want to finish her breakfast...hmmm...(1/3 cup kibble moistened with 2 tsp moist food and touch of water, per breeder's instructions)

I left it..she came in a couple of hours later and finished.

Yesterday, didn't finish, I picked up the dish and stuffed her pink kong and gave it to her a couple of hours later. She finished that. Kongs are a special treat given when she has to be crated while we are out.

This am same thing, left her food. My husband who is up early before me, feeds her in the am. And I asked him to watch her eat. She carefully picks out the moist food and leaves the kibble!   Appetizer then the main course!!!   

I do the feeding in PM and she cleans her dish. I think I need to check how my husband prepares the food and the amount. (Dearest: Moist food should be like a light gravy with the kibble...not chunked!)

We also have to take into account  her training treats. They can add up and side track her appetite even if we are giving her the tiniest bits of lowest calorie treats.

She has been a challenge even more so than the previous  3 westies combined!  This month we are seeing her more relaxed and less willful. Ya got to have a sense of humor!  

Cheers!

pink 04182018.jpg

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, Dianne! Katie sounds exactly like Trina! She does everything the same and on similar feeding pattern and diet! She loves her litte pink Kong (like pictured) and pacifier which I fill with treat stuffing. She never turns down her treats and picks out the moist food in her kibble most of the time. I am sorry to hear about the expensive ER visit. Do you mind sharing what pet insurance that you chose to use for her? This is a great fear of mine because we have experienced several incidents. Thankfully, I have received great advice from online vets for nominal price that work! My standby is organic canned pumpkin which I put a tsp. or so in twice a day if I want to push things through the intestines that I am worried about. It has worked but I feel we were also lucky. Pumpkin seems to be great and works as fiber to push things through without upsetting stomach. Katie and Trina would truly have a blast in our fenced in backyard. Just today, her fecal check came  back normal but showed parasites for basically eating rabbit poop (UGH). Crazy little girl. I have never had one like this, two Cairns and Schnauzer before. :)

IMG_2876.jpg

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

Hi Gina,

Yes! Trina Joy and Katie are twins!

I just reread your posting on Training Collars....yes, Katie has gnawed carpet, chair legs, electrical cords, pillows, shoes...your posting was almost an exact replay of our past months. It gave me hope that we were not the only Cairn challenged. Lots of good info in that posting. Thank you. 

Yesterday we were out looking at hard case kennel for the car as she had torn/ripped hole in her soft pop up car kennel We used this kennel for years with our westies and westie rescue transporting and for Katie the past 5 months,. Thank goodness for duct tape AGAIN. Taped the tear and it is now destined for SPCA thrift shop for use with a more gentle beastie.  

When we were at the emergency vet, they gave us 3 different companies brochures. We choose the one that the staff said has worked best for them and their clients. Trupanion. Might check with you vet for the one that works best in their practice.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, Dianne. I will look into the pet insurance. I appreciate the info. Please take care of Trina's twin and keep me posted on her progress. :)

After looking at several insurance plans for pets I went with Embrace, primarily because they offered a Wellness portion that paid for visits, shots, nail trimming etc.  Figured I was going to spend the money anyway.  Several good ones out there.  I really liked Healthy Paws but they didn't offer a Wellness option

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Wacenturion. I will look into this program as well. I am always concerned that if actually used, the insurance will not pay off. One always hears of these type of stories. :)