CairnTalk

Seeking Older Female for Our Family

SusanPDX

I am hoping to find a female adult cairn to join our family. We have a 2-year-old Labradoodle who would love a friend. Our 9-year-old son has special needs and loves little dogs, so a gentle, calm adult rather than a rambunctious puppy will be the best fit for us right now. We have lots of love and time to give- any leads would be appreciated! We are in Portland, Oregon.

Edited by SusanPDX

Welcome!  This may be a good option for you:  We lost our Cairn last November and wanted another one but weren't in a position to take on a new puppy.  Long story short, we contacted a breeder who had three 8-year-old breeding bitches who had retired and she wanted to re-home them.  We met her and the dogs and selected one of the girls, who we renamed Nattie.  She's the sweetest dog we've ever had.  She gets along beautifully with our granddaughter and with our other dog Ziggy, a terrier mix.  

Keep in mind that we purposely selected the calmest of the three girls available and questioned the breeder regarding Nattie's ability to tolerate a toddler and how she related to other dogs.  We also brought Ziggy along for both the first meeting and for the later pick-up so we knew the dogs would get along.

I live in Illinois so I couldn't help you with finding a breeder in your area, but you may want to contact breeders in your area.  I believe the CTCA (Cairn Terrier Club of America) has a list of breeders on their website, although it isn't all-inclusive.  Also, please note that the forum rules forbid arranging placements through the forum itself.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

There are several cairn rescue groups that you can find online. From time to time they have adult/older cairns for adoption. Their dogs are evaluated for behavior, etc. Often, these volunteer groups will transport, (via a chain of volunteers), or help to arrange transporting the cairn to your area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

There is also a local club Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club that has both breeder referral and rescue contacts. The club is fairly active so their events are a good way to network with conscientious owners and breeders. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you everyone. We got so lucky and have found the perfect girl for our family already! We brought her home yesterday and we are in love. 

85F02B98-A78E-421A-A4DD-097B85C7086F.jpeg

E1C7972B-77E8-4254-ADCA-E1B056139136.jpeg

AEDB9FAB-CB8A-4E53-B71C-E6347B4B23C2.jpeg

• Like 5

I had already inquired about her when I posted this, but I thought she was already taken. Happily, she wasn’t! She came with the name Lizzie, but we’re calling her Bridget, from a character in the kids’ movie “Trolls”. 😃

• Like 1