CairnTalk

Found Dog Tick on Maisie last night

LindaMC

Keep in mind that I live in northwestern Massachusetts and have gone through 3 Nor'easter in the last 2 weeks.  We have well over a foot of snow on the ground and yet I found a tick on my bed last night that fell off of Maisie after I lifted her up to go to sleep.   She loves sleeping on our bed and we indulge her occasionally.  I was really surprised to find this tick.  I brush Maisie every day and she was groomed about a week and a half ago, so her hair is a bit shorter than usual.  In 5 years, this was the first tick I have ever found on her and I'm pretty sure she picked it up yesterday while she was out, during a blizzard, to go the bathroom.  Anyone else find this odd  I was not aware that dog ticks could survive in the dead of winter.  I usually put Maisie on a topical flea and tick medication from April to late November, depending on how warm the weather becomes.  Looks like I may have to use it year round now....☹️   This is something I really hate to do.  Wonder if it would be possible to use a spray during the cold, snowy winter months.  Now I'm worried about how much damage this tick might have done.

Edited by LindaMC

I wonder if she picked up the tick from the groomers? Our previous Scottie Sandy picked up dog lice when visiting the vet!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

9 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

I wonder if she picked up the tick from the groomers? Our previous Scottie Sandy picked up dog lice when visiting the vet!

I wondered the same thing.  Do ticks stay on dogs for that length of time?  She was groomed a little over a week and a half ago.   I was always under the impression that ticks fell over their target after 24 hrs.  It's so scary, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.  You live in a cold climate, do you use tick and flea medications year round?

When I first lived up here we had cold snowy winters and I only used tick prevention from about March to Nov or Dec depending on when the first snows came. I had my dogs checked each spring before I restarted the medication. In recent years there has only been intermittent snow covering with the warmer winters have now.

Angus tested positive for exposure to Lyme Disease one spring. I was shocked. It was then I learned that ticks can survive cold snowy weather and still be active. Luckily a antibiotic treatment took care of the problem for him.

Since that time he's been on year round protection. Bravecto worked well for him with no side effects. Better that than have him get really sick. Lyme Disease can be extremely debilitating if not diagnosed early. Maybe have a blood check for Maisie to be on the safe side.

You'd have to check but I think deer ticks can stay on a dog for several days or so and maybe longer. What kind of tick was it that Maisie had? Deer ticks are the ones we watch out for here in North Central PA as they carry the Lyme disease.

Check her daily all over.

Linda I don’t use tick meds at all. Although there are ticks in Alberta, the risk is low. Especially in our case as the dogs live in the city and we don’t go into long grass. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

I have seen ticks on dogs that get so engorge with blood that they are the size of pencil erasers or even larger--this was back in the Midwest and we would find them on our hunting dogs year round.  Squirrels, deer, and other small rodents carry them around neighborhoods.

Hillscreek, it was a dog tick, thankfully not a deer tick.  I have been doing the same thing as you, not using flea and tick medication from late November until April, depending on how warm the weather is at the time.  She also has the 4DX (heartworm/lyme/tick) disease test every spring.  I now know that dogs can get ticks from squirrels, rabbits, etc., which we have in our yard on occasions.  Even though we have a yard full of snow, my husband always snow blows paths for Maisie to run around on, so she could be a target for any small critters carrying them when they visit our yard. 

I loved the fact of not having to use this medication for a good many months every year (this less meds, the better), but now I need to be a little more diligent when it comes to her safety.  I just purchased some Only Natural Pet Flea & Tick Wipes to use until she's tested next month and I can purchase some new medication.  These wipes are supposed to be good for 2-3 days but I will be rubbing her down with one every time she goes out the door.  Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Fire ants seem to have replaced tics here in  East Texas. They are so painful and can be deadly and the mounds seem to appear magically after a rain