CairnTalk

Poo Problems (tmi)

gd4

Hi everyone, since the incidents with chewing berber, there has been no issues since. Trina has normal bm and acting fine. However, she has been eating sticks and chewing outside which is usual for her; little I can do to stop her. I have been giving her organic canned pumpkin no more than a teaspoon almost each day, sometimes twice a day since the berber incident on top of her dry kibble. She is eating treats, etc. However, today she had a fairly normal bowel movement but I noticed it took her a couple of tries. Once she did, the poo was soft no issues. She pooed a lot the day before (no diarrhea). She still has her accidents inside and sometimes (tmi) she spreads it all over if I don't catch her and eats some. Anyway, tonight, I took her outside to poo and she strained several times and nothing happened. She tried again but nothing happened. Needless to say, I am again, frantic. I spoke to the online vet and he said that he certainly doesn't think it could be any of the berber, after days now and normal behavior, good bm. So, I don't know if she ate a stick or what's going on and I'm so scared. I noticed she was stinky and when I checked she had dried poo in her behind that I literally pulled out but did not see any strings, etc. I even pulled out some soft poo with it. She seemed a little backed up in there. After I pulled as much as I could away, she refused to let me go near her and tried to bite. I noticed she had been chasing her tail over the last day but also, rolling around like a game with it. The online vet said to take a warm cloth and hold it over which I did and I was able to wipe her down a little more. She hasn't pooed after dinner. Vet stated that she may have eaten something that gave her colitis and she is straining due to that. It seems odd and I'm waiting through the night. Again, she just ran all over the yard and is crazed. Nothing weird, appetite good. If anyone has ever had this, please advise. Thank you!

This is very troubling and I share your concern. For starters, I wonder if you should bring a stool sample to the vet to determine if it reveals blood or other problems. The vet could also do blood tests to see if an analysis reveals infection, imbalance, etc.

If the tests turn out to be clear, it would help ease your mind.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sanford, are you thinking blockage? I know that is what I am worried about but the online vet didn't seem to be overly concerned. I know time will tell but of course, I will not wait a long time. What are your concerns?

I was actually reacting to the vet stating that something may have given her colitis, and that there are a number of non-invasive tests to investigate this. As to blockage, the vet can palpate the abdomen to feel for blockage before deciding if it is warranted to explore further with more tests or procedures.

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

When Teddy ate that rope toy it took at least 2 weeks before part of it came out - he was eating and pooing fine but started straining at the end of the 2 week period...he was vomiting a little each morning too.   I don't know what to tell you...Brodie (Trina Joy's twin) is HORRIBLE on our walks, he will eat anything if I stop for one second!  Even walking I have to watch his little mouth to see if he is chomping on a stick or whatever.  I hope Trina Joy feels better today!!!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Thank you, Sanford. I understand. It all makes sense to me. Today seems better. There was a lot if dried poo back there (sorry, tmi) that I wonder had an effect on her trying to go. After the aloe wipes, I took a warm cloth and gently "petted" her and she let me. It cleansed a lot and took away odor.

As of today, Trina DID have a fairly normal bm this morning when she woke up. A consistent turd without little bits. No straining. To me, this seems encouraging. No vomit, Ate her breakfast this morning, treats, drinking water and acting normal. I gave her the dry kibble with tsp. organic canned pumpkin. Often, she will poo again after breakfast but this morning after the first bm, she hasn't, yet (two hours since eating). I wonder if I should try to put her in the tub and thoroughly wash her behind or if it may be more irritating. 

I truly hope that I just jumped to conclusions on this since I had never seen her strain before.

Thank you, Pepper Bug's Mom. Today looks much brighter. Yes, both mine and your pup sounds like twins. Imagine if they would have the opportunity to breed, the hell and fury their pups would be :)  Very interesting about Brodie, and I see that he made it through. Whew. It is indeed, tiring but never a dull moment. Did you do anything during this time with Brodie but keep a watchful eye?

It was the Yellow Lab (Teddy) that ate the rope....Brodie just grabs and runs with anything he can get in his mouth!!!! AGGGHHH!!!

• Haha 1

Pepper's Mom

1 hour ago, gd4 said:

...There was a lot if dried poo back there (sorry, tmi) that I wonder had an effect on her trying to go

58 minutes ago, Pepper Bug's Mom said:

....Brodie just grabs and runs with anything he can get in his mouth!!!! AGGGHHH!!!

gd4 - I have to admit, I was guilty of the same thing - causing Ruffy to be straining with no result when trying to poop! Like you, I was beside myself with worry until I discovered that the cause was dried poop back there embedded in his fur and completely blocking him! I had the unpleasant task of resorting to scissors to cut him free! After that, I gave Ruffy a "sanitary cut" and now I always check to be sure he's clean there. 

Pepper Bug's Mom - Brodie is hardly alone - I've sent this photo before: The muzzle on this sweet pit mix reads: "I eat garbage" In desperation, the owner uses it after paying $$$ for surgery due to an intestinal block caused by eating who-knows-what from the street!

IMG_1217.jpg garbage eater.jpg

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sanford and Hillscreek, thanks for sharing. Yes, I plan to keep an eye on her area. I had no idea. It never occurred to me. I know that sounds dumb. My other pups never had an issue. I just took her outside at lunch and she went poo again, all looked normal. She is playing, eating, drinking and her usual self. There is work to be done. I have no one to help me trim right now but that is coming. She is too wild to handle alone.

• Like 2