CairnTalk

Destructive and Dangerous Behavior

gd4

Just wanted to let you know that my 1 year old Gus is still destructive.  One minute he is chewing on his elk antler and the next he has a hole   chewed in our wool rug.  I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem before but my house is close to 100 years old,  and this morning Gus could smell a mouse inside the wall!  Running back and forth and scratching at the wall. He is quite the hunter! Thank goodness for Bitter Apple. I sprayed it along the edge of the woodwork and he left it alone. It also works great for rug chewing. I don't know how I could live without it. Long walks help Gus, he has so much energy.  (I got shin splints the other day walking him as he was almost at a run)  I guess I am so used to this kind of thing that it doesn't even faze me much anymore,  I just go with the flow.  Re direction with something else works too. It seems when Rocky was about one and a half he started to slow down, that is what I am hoping for Gus. However I know they are all different. This is an exciting time in the life of my two Cairns and I will probably miss it someday!

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing Corn Niblet. I recall Trinity slowed down at about the same age. I am hopeful that this will occur with Trina. We shall see :) Like Gus, she has a lot of energy. She is curious and intelligent! She did better than the older dogs at obedience last night. She knows when to behave but in typical Cairn style, does her own thing, most of the time :) Including, potty in the house :(

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kieiras mom said:

Patience and a sense of humor are s must when there is a cairn is in the house

Yes, the owner must have patience.  I believe the cairns do have a sense of humor, and that's where the trouble starts...

• Like 1