CairnTalk

Destructive and Dangerous Behavior

gd4

Hello all,

I know we have shared many laughs over the antics of our precious puppies. However, I am becoming more concerned with Trina Joy's behavior. Mainly, for her own safety. After finding her chewing the berber carpet last night, we have experienced quite the scare. Tonight, while in her play pen, my husband caught her trying to pull up the carpet again. He immediately stopped her and put her upstairs in her larger play pen area on the hardwood floor. I don't know what to do beyond squirting her with the water gun if I catch her in the act. She is really bad about getting into things. I want to keep her a happy and healthy puppy but honestly, our other two Cairns were never this dangerously bad in their antics. Please help with any suggestions or stories. I fear what could happen and am still watching her from last night's berber incident. Also, she is going on 9 mo. Is this normal to have such a high strung pup?

:(

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

Some puppies (even adults) are garbage hounds, others never bother a wastebasket. Some chew every piece of wood they can get their mouth on, others steal and eat socks. I haven't heard a thing that sounds abnormal, personally. 

Watch her constantly and intervene when necessary. Tell her at the moment she's doing something that the particular thing is forbidden.  Be lightning fast to give her feedback. Be as consistent as a rock. Be more stubborn than she is. 

Lather, rinse, repeat ... as long as it takes. Weeks, months, years. They mostly grow out of it. Mostly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

May I also suggest a long vigorous walk each day. Without a daily walk Sams energy level ramps up big time plus it’s also great for us. Nothing keeps you and your dog in better shape than that. It’s rarely a day they both don’t get taken out even with the temps -25celcius. Boots and a thick  coat and off we go.....they love it. Do you have a friend with a friendly small dog or a day care you can send her off to. As so many people have stated, A tired Cairn is a good Cairn.😇

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

yep, LONG vigorous walks and play time. lots of tug-o-war works well.  I know some say NO on T-O-W but it really is a full deal workout and as Piper matured we were able to turn it into training. If I say BREAK she will let go. Then I throw the toy, she retrieves and T-O-W continues. BTW- she loves it and looks forward to it. Nothing is unusual with Cairns, but you have to keep them busy and occupied with games that work 'em.

steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the situation is unusual at all.  My take is that Trina is full of puppy energy and chewing out of boredom.  Have you tried giving her a Kong toy or some type of (safe) chew toy?  Do you think she's getting plenty of playtime and exercise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all so much for sharing. Trina has more "safe" toys, including, Kongs and specific nylabones for power chewers than she knows what to do with. It seems she has little interest in toys. She is interested in things that she should not be doing. Her little paw is constantly reaching out of the pen or she is trying to move the pen to an area to pull things to her. It is getting to be overwhelming. She certainly gets outside more to run around than my other two Cairns ever did because I now work from home. She is getting a lot of attention and I take her out often. I do not go on long walks as it is not something I can do around here. In fact, our other two Cairns were locked up in their sleep crates while we worked and only let out for a half hour by the pet sitter because we worked outside the house. When we came home from work, they would be let out to do their business but I don't recall them having a lot of time to work off their energy. Trina almost seems too overly hyper. If I work, I almost need to lock her up in her sleep crate which I don't like to do. I can hardly leave her in her safe pen on the hardwood floor for fear she will eat or destroy something. I have started feeding her small amount of pumpkin each day simply to keep things moving out. We do play TOW and she enjoys it. She is a precious puppy and I love her so much. But, the thought of her having emergency surgery for possible ingestion of something terrifies me (I just lost my little girl last year). While my little girl was a senior, they thought she had ingested something and did ER exploratory, which eventually, months later, I believe contributed to her death. I am still grieving so loss is a big thing to be now ---- and I know, I cannot control a terrier :(

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

I wonder if given your anxiety, finding that raising a young terrier so stressful, which means neither you or Trina are enjoying this, and by the sound of it Still grieving with the death of your previous dog(I understand that. It was three yrs before I got Sam, after losing Jock),  that it might be time to think of re homing her. I know that sounds tough and I don’t want to come across as unkind, but as hair raising, frustrating and scary raising a rambunctious Cairns pup is, it should be a time of laughter and joy. Perhaps you just aren’t ready yet to take this on.?

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Hi Terrier lover. Absolutely not. For as much scares as she gives me, I would never give her up. We are bonded and have great times together. It's just worrying that she has eaten berber carpet or rope strings, along with anything that I cannot physically control in the yard, is stressful. I would think that would be no fun for anyone. I can't afford another 4,000 to be put out at emergency ER. I don't know anyone who would not be stressed with a dog who is constantly doing things that bring about days at a time of worry. :(  Sure, the antics are fun but honestly, I do not recall others telling me their dogs were this bad as puppies. Even, most Cairn lovers. So, all I can figure out is that I love her too much.

• Like 1

Oh you haven’t lived with Sam..lol. Books have been eaten, socks, bark, glasses etc have been destroyed, so yes it’s been an adventure. He is getting way better as he is maturing and I am very cognizant of what is lying about.  Like I have said previously, my house has never been more organized and tidy. Yes a lot of Cairn puppies are a handful as a lot of young dogs are,  as others have pointed out is normal behaviour . Trina is not being bad, she is being a young dog with tons of energy . It is my own experience of owning 4 terriers that they need a lot of physical outlets, and long fast walks really do work.  If you aren’t able to do that I encourage you to find a place she can play with other young dogs .

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Once at a show I got Biscuit all groomed up, fitted a six-foot Resco cordohyde lead around her head, carefully folded up the leash excess, tucked it under the collar portion, and put her back into her crate to wait for our time in the ring. As I had done many times with Haggis and Rosebud.

When I took her out, tail wagging, there were six inches of leash hanging from her neck and not a bit more to be found.

9f42b7_2c0b1d6404a34f8f852260bf8fb26c24_mv2_webp__290×122_.png

Later, in the backyard,  I had to "pull her string" a bit to get a dangly bit that was hanging after a BM. It was either that or "light her fuse." :w00t: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Oh my goodness. So I see, there have proven many scares on this board as I have went through the last few months! Thanks for sharing Brad! I know you all understand and I appreciate your input and suggestions. Many thanks <3

• Like 1

I have X-pens everywhere in my house along with baby gates...When I am on the computer I spread the X-pen out so that Brodie can be closely monitored.  Meanwhile, Pepper is sleeping calmly on the futon and Teddy the Lab won't go near the X-pen.  On walks Brodie is constantly trolling for something to stuff in his mouth and quickly chew it up before I can pry it out of his mouth! Ha Ha!  Kleenex tissues are his favorite stealing item along with twist ties, plastic pieces, socks, two pairs of reading glasses, etc.  He is a handful and full of mischief. They all get walked every day no matter what the weather....I look like a crazy person all bundled up!!  He goes cuckoo if I wake him up when he is in a deep sleep - even Teddy the Lab will walk carefully by Brodie when he is out cold.  He doesn't bite but makes a big noise!!!  He is a total cuddler as well!!!  Brodie is now 9 months and has started lifting his leg and marking...ugh...outside not inside.  He is getting better at house training too...not perfect but 50%.

Brodie Tongue 9 months.jpg

Edited by Pepper Bug's Mom
  • Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Pepper's Mom - I have said before about what a team Trina Joy and Brodie would make together. She will be 9 mo at the end of the month. She looks just like him. I have pens all over the house as you mentioned. I need another to bring up to the office with me. I think I will get a small one :) Her more recent photos look just like Brodie.

IMG_E1447.JPG

IMG_2876.jpg

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

We've never had a destructive Cairn so I'm not going to be much help here except to suggest that a quick carpet cleaning might be of some help, especially if the dog is tearing at the same spot.  As far as the ingestion of foreign matter--that's a Cairn forte, our dogs are inveterate grazers especially outside and lord only knows what goes in and comes out.
I still believe in the old ball cap and "NO!" form of training--a well tossed cap with a firm command is a great way to control from a distance--especially inside.  Ball caps are cheap, stack well, don't take up much room, sail well, and do no damage to furniture or dogs.  They are probably not a good answer for folks that believe dogs have "rights" and who worry about their dog's self esteem tho because the intent of the flung ball cap is to dissuade, disarm, and scare the living dickens out of a dog engaged in unwanted activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Idaho Cairns,

Thank you! Amazingly enough, we just had our carpets cleaned on Saturday. She since did this! And, tried to pull more threads last night. Thank goodness, we caught her. I yelled and sprayed with water bottle. I will try the ball cap. I have many of them!

CARPET.jpg

I love the ball cap idea!!!!  Trina Joy (I love her name) looks so sweet and innocent!

Edited by Pepper Bug's Mom
  • Haha 1

Pepper's Mom

19 minutes ago, Idaho Cairns said:

We've never had a destructive Cairn so I'm not going to be much help here except to suggest that a quick carpet cleaning might be of some help, especially if the dog is tearing at the same spot.  As far as the ingestion of foreign matter--that's a Cairn forte, our dogs are inveterate grazers especially outside and lord only knows what goes in and comes out.
I still believe in the old ball cap and "NO!" form of training--a well tossed cap with a firm command is a great way to control from a distance--especially inside.  Ball caps are cheap, stack well, don't take up much room, sail well, and do no damage to furniture or dogs.  They are probably not a good answer for folks that believe dogs have "rights" and who worry about their dog's self esteem tho because the intent of the flung ball cap is to dissuade, disarm, and scare the living dickens out of a dog engaged in unwanted activity.

Looks like that is right on the edge--good place for a throw rug until you get the behavior under control.  On the "ball cap" thing, we found it helpful to wear the hat (I know "inside" caps are a no no) and reach up, grab the bill and sail--you know it is working when your dog starts watching your hand and arm and stops and stares to see if a toss is coming.  It's kinda fun, got to the point where all I had to do was touch the brim and say "no" to get control--sort of a "Bad Cairn" salute if you will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LOL. But that's the problem, we had her in her play pen on the carpet and she pulled another spot last night! I could try to put something under the play pen! Whew! I will try the ball cap maneuver :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

I don't think the situation is unusual at all.  My take is that Trina is full of puppy energy and chewing out of boredom.  Have you tried giving her a Kong toy or some type of (safe) chew toy?  Do you think she's getting plenty of playtime and exercise?

I think I posted this years ago, but my husband at the time (circa 1987) gave me a hard-cover poetry book.  My puppy (at the time), Shadow, made quick work of the front cover while we were at work.  He was definitely bored living in an apartment...that was all we could manage after having to leave our rental house.  Shadow got a yard some time after that, and that behaviour subsided.

Edited by tlwtheq
typo
  • Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

1 hour ago, tlwtheq said:

I think I posted this years ago, but my husband at the time (circa 1987) gave me a hard-cover poetry book.  My puppy (at the time), Shadow, made quick work of the front cover while we were at work.  He was definitely bored living in an apartment...that was all we could manage after having to leave our rental house.  Shadow got a yard some time after that, and that behaviour subsided.

Of course, it is possible that he chewed the book because my husband gave it to me.  After all, we were separated when I adopted Shadow.  Maybe Shadow was annoyed when husband-at-the-time and I started living together (in a new place) again.  So maybe the apartment living was only a secondary annoyance.  Shadow was very proprietary when it came to me.

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I'm going to come at this from another angle... Just to consider that perhaps Trina's problematic antics are not an unusual example of cairn puppy behavior after all. Instead, maybe you were mislead into thinking that your previous puppy's good behavior was typical of all - or many cairns, and you were lulled into expecting lightening to strike for the third time, with Trina being as compliant and easy to raise as your first two?

Hang in there! Mischief is written all over her adorable face and I know you could never give up on a face like that!

P.S. When I first adopted Ruffy, I was appalled to discover some of his problematic traits and behavior. Like Trina, Ruffy was completely different from my first cairn and couldn't fathom how I would get through the years ahead with this hurricane on wheels, but 2 things happened - the love I developed for him took over and made me more accepting, and to put it simply - I got used to it  - and adjusted my attitude!

i predict the same for you and Trina.🙂

Edited by sanford
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!