CairnTalk

Sick or testing?

Monia

I'm looking for advice again.  Lexi and I have been together 5mths, and Lex is approx 3yrs old.  We have been through the temper tantrums and I kept my stance and all was good.  But lately, she's been snipping and growling at me.  She seems to be startled when she does it. Once I start talking to her I can see that she snaps out of anger/surprise. She's eating correctly so I don't think she's not feeling well.  

Should I take her to vet for blood tests?  Any suggestions would be appreciated 

i think many of us feel that in the event of unusual behavior it is best to first have a checkup. lots of common things can cause bad temper --toothache, UTI, hyperthyroidism. if she is acting startled i would also have her vision and hearing tested. if she checks out, could mean that you are on to the next stage of training. at 3 years old lexi is on the verge of cairn maturity but maybe not quite there yet --especially if she is working out a relationship with you that she wants to take to a new level (like, a new way maybe getting in charge of things). sounds like you have a good grounding in cairn specifics, so if that is what it is, you can handle it. because of her change of circumstances lexi might be a bit late in hitting maturity, but once you get there, you can't find a more loyal or more --hm-- interesting friend. 

• Like 1

I agree - check out vision and hearing. If they are OK then I'm thinking this is pretty typical cairn behavior, testing, testing  - i.e.wanting to be the boss. From your post looks like you can deal with this.

Sounds like Lexi is a lucky girl to end up in your home. Be firm and patient and she will be the best bud you could ever hope for☺️

• Like 2

Like Lexi, Ruffy was also adopted at 3 years. After 5 months with Lexi, you might have discovered, as I did with Ruffy, that the the cairn you brought home is not, in all ways the cairn she's turning out to be. On the one hand, I would also be concerned with snipping and growling, but this could simply be Lexi's way of testing you...and her boundaries, now that she's more securely settled in. Given the short period of time you've had Lexi, reporting her behavior to the vet for a health checkup might help ease your mind. The vet might want to run some tests.

As you've discovered, she snaps out of the anger when you start talking to her. A firm "N0!" and mild corrective scolding of these sensitive, intelligent cairns can often yield behavioral changes for the better.

Good luck with Lexi!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!