CairnTalk

Chewed Up Toy and Scared!

gd4

Okay, while the puppy was in the play pen this morning, I noticed that she demolished a small chew toy that contained small thread/rope I a terrified now because of what I heard about string. I don't know if she ingested any.  I could give her some pumpkin. Has anyone been through this. The head, feet and squeaker are intact. Rope was shredded. It is the soft, thread like rope.

toy.jpg

• Like 1

Is this like a cotton thread or is it plastic? With something like cotton, I would not worry. Our dog has eaten thread-y things (like socks) and the pieces have eventually come out the other end. I would do some checking, though, if these were not natural fibers.

Check with vet? How long ago was this? Perhaps you could still get her to throw it up? (Hydrogen peroxide I think...).

• Like 1

Hi Kathryn, it is made out of polyester fibers. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5838941245764700997?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS776US776&biw=1536&bih=759&q=hartz+tiny+dog+toy+and+rope&oq=hartz+tiny+dog+toy+and+rope&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX8CLOagla91UEOk3_r8B15U14b6QB_v-JQoEat9v1IrrIf8NyxANkhp71ZgVoI2RT6VSeDk68zDG6uewcHTi3HIfEMnSufeeDh4y9SF8DY6F8vdQ2hIZAFPVH71AKaYS4Vvaqf5cYa5OZR7vDvMW3Q

I know this is not good. I am a nervous wreck. I contacted the online vet who told me not to panic and give her some pumpkin. I'm so upset. I just went through and tossed out more than half her toys. It was about two hours ago. She seems fine but I should have known better :(

I know where you are coming from as we have had a few of these issues with Sam. He gets no soft toys at all...marrow bones that both dogs have chewed on and a few nylabones(although I do hate those but it does at least keep him busy plus I always check on him while he is chewing.). We have the tidiest house on the block I swear...no laundry baskets, no cell phones in his reach...nothing that he deems chewable. He is a master at chewing and eating pages out of books. So although I am still always on the alert, I dont worry so much anymore because items seem to go in one end and go out the other. When I suspect something might cause an issue I give him a big tablespoon of a  cooked yam.That seems to do the job....and lord knows what else goes down his gullet that I have no knowledge of especially out in the back yard.Only Worry if in the next couple of days there is vomiting, straining while trying to poop, no appetite, I must admit I am amazed what they can digest, that causes no issues. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks, Terrier lover, this puppy has given me at least one hundred gray hairs. I am a wreck. I gave her near two tablespoons or organic pumpkin with small amt. of kibble at lunch. I plan to give her another tablespoon tonight with dinner. She is acting normally and had another bm this afternoon. I didn't see any strings. The problem is, since I found this all shredded, I don't know how much or if she ate any. All that is there is a huge pile of shredded thin shreds. This is polyester fiber so I know that is not good but it is not thick and tough. Very thin shreds and not extremely long like yarn in one piece. All I can do is pray that she will not get sick. I'm so upset! This is not the first scare I have endured with her and sure, it won't be the last. Although, I have tossed half of here toys today. :(

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

Don’t overdo the pumpkin or yam...Trina might treat you to the hersey squirts if you do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

LOL. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. This puppy is going to be the end of me. She had a small, normal bm this afternoon and another after dinner (kibble with pumpkin). Not to be TMI but the last bm after dinner was normal but so impressive that one might think it was created by a 20 year old, hearty, young man, lol. Please keep sending good energy. I am so worried for my baby!

Has everyone ever wondered why we dog owners are so into our dogs poops!🤣

• Like 1

All the time😄

Sounds like Tina Joy will be ok. No soft toys for Angus and tidy house like Terrier lover. Bone and/or nylabone. After that  relax and keep an eye out as best we can. If playing with Angus with anything else e.g ball or puzzle I put away after we were done.

• Like 1

Very true, Hillscreek. She had another bm a little while ago. That makes three since the shredding incident this AM. I am praying all will continue to move. I have not seen any threads in her poop. I am hoping she only shredded and ate very little to none. Please send good energy. I am a nervous wreck!

Gosh, sounds like she will be fine -- but then, of course, you will worry yourself sick waiting anyway...Once my T Bone ate part of a steel wool grill brush...and ended up at the vet, who made him puke...we were all terrified...he was horrified...and all came out in the end.  Hope for the same result for you.  These are very resilient dogs...

Suggest, since these are dogs from Scotland after all, a really good pour of some fine Scotch...for you...not the dog...

• Haha 2

Hi Kathyrn, LOL! Poor T-bone. Poor family! I would have been terrified, too. I'm so glad it worked out.

Trina Joy had two normal bm this morning. She had her kibble with pumpkin on top. I am hoping that things continue to go well. If she did eat the rope frays, I suppose we would still need to wait more time for it to fully pass through the system. However, I would hope that with no vomiting, good appetite, energy and normal, plentiful bm, these are all good signs.

Oh my...and, trust, I don't have any Scotch but I had two ample glasses of vino last night before bed after this day. :)

Edited by gd4

Egads!!!!  Teddy the Lab ate and swallowed the thick rope attached to a Nylabone toy (we didn't know that he had done that) - seemed fine - eating, pooping and running, but started throwing up in the mornings after sleeping through the night...2 weeks later he was trying very hard to poop - DH went out to check on him and half way out was the rope!!! AAGGGHH!!! Had to help pull it out - no more chew ropes after that! No more stringy ropes either!  Who knows what Brodie has chewed up - so far 2 pairs of reading glasses, tried a nail file, twist ties that had fallen on the floor, socks, dish towels, pine cones, beauty bark, gravel.....I cannot look away on the walks because he constantly looking for something to quickly grab and stick in his mouth!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pepper's Mom

Hi everyone. Puppy is still having normal bm and good appetite. I still give her a little pumpkin with her kibble twice a day. She has experienced no vomiting. She actis normal. I am praying that she made it okay and maybe, didn't eat any of the shredded toy. :) Fingers crossed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of when Nikki went on a very determined two week hunger strike and ate a plastic ball, parts of a yarn toy, and a fabric toy, and chewed wood furniture and cook books. I had a colorful yard for a while as I kept finding pieces of toys in the yard land mines... He threw up some and passed the rest.  I never took him to the vet for that particular food strike, and he still seems fine, over a decade later.  (He was on Iams at the time and when he refused to eat it was just before a major Iams recall so in hindsight I was very glad he refused it). I wouldn’t worry too much about your pup.  If she has trouble she will tell you, otherwise just carry on as usual.  

And yes I still eyeball every pile every day to make sure everything is consistent. Poo is nasty but it’s a good health indicator at least! Lol. 

Edited by Lupinegirl
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lupinegirl, thank you for sharing! It seems these dogs are so intuitive and resilient. I know my other two Cairns were similiar; nothing could take them, except old age. I agree, the poo is a good indicator of what is going in and out, LOL! :)

6 hours ago, bradl said:

This seems like an appropriate time to re-appreciate this gem of a topic from the archives :P 

This is the sort of timeless wisdom that makes Cairn Talk great.

• Like 2

LOL, Sparkling Poop thread lives on!

Howdy Good Cairn Talk folks!

While the boys will turn 13 this year,  they are still puppies at heart, with a bit of silver in their coats.

Not that long ago I was working on a Rosary commission, while sitting on the couch. Bratt who was next to me kept dragging the Rosary decade I was working on toward him. That's an action shot Brattwurst going for it.

5a73abcc8c89b_2018-01-0117_39_17.thumb.jpg.3146d3d2da0f9616c7333e4ff501f03d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

OMG, I remember the sparkling poop post!  Then I got to wondering what was up with Mett and Bratt.  So glad they’re doing well.

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thank you, all for posting pics and sharing stories. It really does lighten up a scary situation. I think that my little girl may be okay this time. I am cautiously optimistic. She continues to do something almost once a month that scares the life out of me! I guess I best get used to it :)

Hello, all, puppy continues to eat and have normal bm. However, after she ate this morning and normal bm, my husband found a somewhat longer white string in her poo. He said she strained a little. She seems fine. I'm scared. I don't know if there is anything more in there. Thoughts? Maybe, I should start up the pumpkin again? I've seen nothing until now. I'm wondering if she got this somewhere else? I do not see any pulls in the carpet where she stays in her play pen. She has a little white fleece bed that she chews and toys around with in the play pen for months but I don't think it would hurt her if she chewed some of it. It does look like similar string? I am so scared all the time. I've heard horror stories of berber carpet but my husband says he doesn't think it is our carpet string and we don't see any spots. She has been contained in her play pen area.

Edited by gd4