CairnTalk

First Puppy Cut and Unhappy

gd4

I took Trina for her first haircut today and left very upset. This is the first time that she was cut; although, she did have her nails trimmed at the facility prior. I took my other two Cairns to the same groomer before they died. Trina is almost 8 mo. She hates the blow dryer. I gave her a couple of baths and she is insane about the dryer sound and tries to bite the dryer.  When I blow dry my hair, she barks loudly. I forewarned the groomer with a phone call and she told me not to worry because all puppies can be challenging. I told her if there was any problem, to stop and call me and I would be back to get her. Today, I droppped her off at 11 AM and received a call about 3:00 PM to pick her up. The woman told me that Trina was very upset about the dryer. They later tried to somehow put her in a wire cage while drying and told me that she jumped up and cut the top of her head. She also said that she nipped at the girl who dried her. The groomer also said that she was not so bad during the actual clipping. Not sure if she used scissors or grooming clippers. I am very upset about the cut on top of her head. When I returned to pick her up, she did not even want to come out of the cage. I will not take her back to these groomers. Suggestions? I plan to use the tool that removes undercoat in the future between groomings. However, this really upset me that the puppy had to go through this. It will, no doubt, traumatize her for future grooming.They seem to think it will be better next time --- but, I will not return. I wish they would have called me :(

My initial reaction here is that no dog should be put in a cage that is unsafe -- and if the dog can cut her head while jumping, it is not safe.

But then you also forewarned them, and then asked them to call if there was a problem.  If she was upset enough to nip, there was a problem...clearly she did not feel safe.

My suggestion? Find another groomer and stay with her for the first few groomings -- to watch the groomers as much as her interaction.

We use a groomer who breeds and show cairns, and does some stripping, etc., on the side.  She does not bathe Oban with each visit, as his coat simply does not require it.

Is there someone in your area who might take Trina on? Perhaps you could network with breeders in your area to find out who grooms their dogs...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Kathryn. This is definitely the plan. I also purchased a Masters Grooming tool recommended by her breeder to use between groomings. I plan to start working with her each day to get her comfortable. Also, I am going to work on desensitization of the blow dryer sound.

I agree that it was obvious that she did not feel safe at the groomer. I was very angry when I picked her up. I think that someone hit her with a comb or grooming tool (not on the cage as they stated). It breaks my heart that they would treat a puppy in such manner. And, it makes my future work harder now as I try to get her back into grooming.

Unfortunately, her breeder is too far to travel but I will look into AKC or other breeder referrals to call and ask about grooming in our area. Great idea. Thank you.

cut puppy.jpg

first haircut.jpg

Word to wise unless you know and trust your groomer don’t ever leave them alone. If they won’t allow you to watch , pick up your dog and leave. Our previous Scottie Sandie, was dropped onto a concrete floor with the excuse with , oops my arm is sore from the idiot groomer. She never went to a groomer again. I clip and groom Rosie myself and I am very lucky that Sams breeder is a wonderful woman who loves her dogs, shows and does a great job of stripping his coat. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Terrier lover, you are lucky to have a breeder to strip Sam's coat. It is not as likely for me to locate around here. Trina Joy's breeder is too far away but recommended the stripper tool for me to use. I plan to find a groomer who will let me stay from now on until I know she is comfortable. I am way too nervous to leave little Trina Joy again. Her sore looks better today. I just can't believe that a little pup should go through this :(  Kathryn: Trina Joy has some really cool black markings on her back :) - she is registered as Red Brindle. What color do you think she will be? She is 7.5 mo.

Pup markings.jpg

• Like 2

My experience with a red brindle (Jock) was a real eye opener. He went from the same colour as your girl to a mostly charcoal grizzle colour. It’s amazing...some of my friends that had not seen him for a few years thought I had a new dog!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

No one to strip a cairn round here so I learned how to keep Angus tidy my self. Just much easier for me to know he was safe even if not groomed to perfection.

He is a red brindle and at 61/2 is still a red coat with the black stripe . I have never been able to photograph his coat satisfactorily. The red color is so dependent on the way the light shines on the hair - it always seemed to look bleached out.

Little Trina Joy has the sweetest face!

• Like 1

Trina Joy says thanks for the compliment, Hillscreek :) It will be interesting to see Trina Joy's color within a year as I feel like the red is becoming less evident! Hmm. I wonder what she will end up being. My little Trinity was wheaten but had a black strip down her back like a skunk! She never lost it, even after years of growing older and lighter in color!

Pepper gets a bath about once every couple of months - otherwise after a walk at the muddy dog park I put her and Brodie in the kitchen sink (they barely fit) and rinse them off.  I never use the hair dryer - just rub them really hard with a cotton towel and enjoy watching them run around!  They love to play tug a war with the towel.  When I am drying my own hair, Pepper will lay on the floor next to me and enjoys a short blast every now and then...she likes the warm air.  I use the Mars grooming combs and a metal comb to comb and groom...

Edited by Pepper Bug's Mom
  • Like 4

Pepper's Mom

Pepper Bug's Mom - I plan to do more so with Trina Joy that you do with your pups this time around. Trina Joy will not tolerate the blow dryer! Even, if she hears me drying my hair upstairs! I purchased the Mars grooming tool ( I have an old one back in the day from use with Trinity). Hopefully, this will help :) g

Pepper HATES having her tummy hair combed but she tolerates it....she is much better behaved than Brodie.  Brodie's tummy right now has mud on it plus he grabs and chews everything in sight.  Today he reached into my bathrobe pocket and stole my kleenex!  Off he went full of happiness and enthusiasm!

• Haha 3

Pepper's Mom

Nelly and Max are vehemently against being groomed...not matter what kind of brush.  Hubby is keeping their nails trimmed with our Dremel.  I manage to keep the hair out of their eyes by being sneaky.  Also can trim around other areas to keep the pups comfy.  Let's face it, no Cairn asks to be groomed!

• Haha 2

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Tried to edit my previous post..too late.  Nelly used to get a professional grooming from her previous owner/showperson.  We haven't been able to afford it for some time, and Nelly hates it anyway.

• Like 2

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thanks, all! I get a kick out of reading these stories as it so relates to Trina Joy. I cannot believe how much grooming costs are for Cairns, especially, if hand stripped. All she wants to do is chew and get into trouble; I can't believe the energy that she has! :)

Edited by gd4
  • Haha 1

I am having a similar problem with Maisie, she's not too fond of the blow dryer either.  I have been trying to desensitize her to it but it's taking quite a long time.  I use a soft towel and try to rub her down as best as I can and then just let her run around and dry off naturally.   I have heard too many horror stories about groomers losing their patience with dogs and hurting them, so I prefer to try to keep her tidy myself.  I bring her to a groomer that I trust maybe twice a year if that.  The cost is ridiculous.  When I have to pay more to have my dog's hair cut then my own, that's where I draw the line.

So sorry that your little girl had to go through that, she is such an adorable little Cairn. 

• Like 1

Thank you, LindaMC. Very true! I cannot believe the expense. And, one pays dearly for those who are less expensive as I have found. She did not deserve to be treated so harshly. I will not take her back there. As far as the blow dryer? I think that will be put away :)

• Like 2

wow, haven't been on for a while.  Piper (2.25 y/o female) has had exactly 2 baths and never been to the groomer.  I brush her every 2-3 days and use a furminator once a month.  she smells good except when she rolls in dead beach flotsam (we live at the coast) and has bright, shiny hair.  I acclimated her to the shop vac early on and use it to suck up the hair after brushing. Not sure why we run into so many Cairns that get clipped!  IMO, YUCK!

steve

• Haha 1

Thanks, Steve! My puppy doesn't smell bad except when she finds something to roll in the yard, UGH! She is adorable. Since she was only clipped once, maybe, we have time to redeem ourselves!

yeah Piper's coat is soooo beautiful au natural, I can't even imagine clipping her.  Plus I find it quite rewarding and theraputic brushing her regularly.  It has taken a while but we really both enjoy the quality time together.  It has really trained her to be still and let me do things to her without fuss!~

The picture is titled "Who rocks the beard better, me or Pipes?"!

good luck!

steve

Clipboard01pipes.jpg

• Like 2