CairnTalk

Another concern re feeding

sanford

This is from our CairnTalk.net blog. I apologize for the length. I tried, but wasn't able to provide a link:

By Rss Bot in Science Daily: Dog News   Experts are warning dog and cat owners to be aware of the risks associated with feeding their pets raw meat-based diets (RMBDs), instead of the more conventional dry or canned pet foods.
In the Vet Record today, a team of researchers based in The Netherlands say these diets may be contaminated with bacteria and parasites, and as such may pose a risk to both animal and human health. Feeding RMBDs to companion animals has become increasingly popular across the world, yet claims of health benefits are not backed by evidence, and several studies have reported possible risks. Of most concern, however, is the risk to public or animal health due to contamination of RMBDs with zoonotic bacteria and parasites, that can pass between animals and humans. So a team led by Paul Overgaauw at Utrecht University set out to determine the presence of four zoonotic bacteria and two parasite species in commercial RMBDs, available in most pet shops and supermarkets.

They analysed 35 commercial frozen RMBDs from eight different brands, widely available in The Netherlands. Escherichia coli O157 was isolated from eight products (23%), Listeria species were present in 15 products (43%) and Salmonella species in seven products (20%). Both E coli O157 and Salmonella infections in humans have been linked with serious illnesses. Four products (11%) contained the parasite Sarcocystis cruzi and another four contained Sarcocystis tenella. In two products (6%) Toxoplasma gondii was found. The Sarcocystes species are not zoonotic but pose a risk to farm animals. T gondii is an important zoonosis with a high disease burden in humans.

"Despite the relatively low sample size of frozen products in our study, it is clear that commercial RMBDs may be contaminated with a variety of zoonotic bacterial and parasitic pathogens that may be a possible source of bacterial infections in pet animals and if transmitted pose a risk for human beings," say the researchers. "Cats and dogs that eat raw meat diets are also more likely to become infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria than animals on conventional diets, which could pose a serious risk to both animal health and public health," they add.

They outline several ways in which pet owners and other household members can encounter such pathogens. For example, through direct contact with the food or with an infected pet; through contact with contaminated household surfaces; or by eating cross-contaminated human food. They therefore suggest that pet owners should be informed about the risks associated with feeding their animals RMBDs, and should be educated about personal hygiene and proper handling of RMBDs. Warnings and handling instructions should also be included on product labels and/or packages, they advise.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

7 minutes ago, sanford said:

"Cats and dogs that eat raw meat diets are also more likely to become infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria than animals on conventional diets, which could pose a serious risk to both animal health and public health,"

I read that also sanford. The above quote is a main reason I didn't go with raw feeding for Angus and why I eat a limited amount of meat myself. It's true Angus ate raw meat when he caught and ate a vole, but this was an animal in its natural state, not reared and doctored by man before being killed. In addition as I discussed with Angus's vet no matter what the label may say there is no way to know the actual state of health of the animal before  death. Video of a feeding lot or slaughter house will show some doubtful procedures. Some advocate feeding duck or venison or bison or some other such "wild" animal. But you cannot know where these ducks etc were raised of their state of health when killed. Were they really out in the wild or were they farm raised?

Only way I can see is to go out and hunt your deer etc yourself, process it and use it yourself. This is what hunters do round here. Since I do not hunt alas, I feed kibble with a topper sometimes. Not the greatest food I will admit but what is a non-hunting old lady to do?!?.........

• Haha 1

Arggggg...I can’t begin to respond to such antiquated information. Raw feeders like myself will never convince kibble feeders (and vets that believe kibble is the best option) of the natural way dogs and cats should eat. All I can recommend is that if you choose to go raw, there are many very good commercial foods out there that are healthy and do nothing but improve the animals over all health. 

And again how many meat  eating uprights buy all their meat cooked....I don’t. I handle raw chicken, beef, fish etc before I eat it. To say that raw feeders need to learn proper personal hygiene is the same as saying all meat eating humans if not “taught” how to keep there kitchens safe from poisoning the whole family is just plain ridiculous. Most of us know to clean our kitchens after preparing a meat dish.And the raw commercial patties I get are from bison and elk....they are grass fed, meaning no antibiotics which is not true from the meat we humans eat...unless we go organic. I say feed your dog what you are comfortable with and for me it’s raw, fresh veggies and fruit.

By feeding our livestock and over abundance of antibiotics we have caused the problem of high bacterial counts in meat. http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/health/meat-drugs/index.html

Well considering I wasn’t going to respond I think I just did. Just my very own humble opinion.😋

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

20 hours ago, sanford said:

"Despite the relatively low sample size of frozen products in our study, it is clear that commercial RMBDs may be contaminated with a variety of zoonotic bacterial and parasitic pathogens that may be a possible source of bacterial infections in pet animals and if transmitted pose a risk for human beings," say the researchers.

This kind of statement always bothers me--my immediate reaction is always--"Get a much broader sample size before suggesting "...it is clear..." because it is most certainly not "clear" at all.

• Like 1

I agree with Chuck re low sample size of products, and with Terrier lover re common sense and proper handling of meats that most of us routinely purchase. They both make points that jumped out at me when I read the article, but because I know that feeding is an ongoing issue here, I decide to submit the piece as "food for thought!"😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

We have stopped eating any kind of sushi as Our Dr told us it’s potentially a chance to get very ill from pathogens and parasites.  I like the stuff but when I look at it now all I see is “yucky” (is that a medical term?):sick: things, and can’t even imagine now eating it. My gut is not meant to eat raw meat that my dogs enjoy. I don’t dig up bones and chew on them because no doubt.......😵🤒🤮. We are always careful with anything that is meat and raw. The bleach bottle isn’t far from my sinks.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Whatever we feed our buddies I like the luxury of having choices of raw and kibble and the several choices within each. When I first had a working type spaniel as a young girl just after the second world war he ate was available - scraps of our food and sometimes something called a dog biscuit. From pup to age ten he never was sick. Dogs are scavengers after all and will have a go at most anything edible that comes their way.

As an aside more importantly, as I see it, regarding overall dogs' health are the breeding practices of their owners...........but that's a discussion for another day.

Just read your comment Terrier lover. Where I grew up on the edge of the sea we never ate raw fish which in our location were shell fish (mussels whelks clams etc) - despised as  bottom feeders, eating things I prefer not to name.  In those days there were vast schools of cod, halibut and herring among others.

• Thanks 1