CairnTalk

Sticks, Wood and Anything!

gd4

Trina Joy is trying to chew on our landscape timbers/pool deck. We supervise her and keep her away. Also, she grabs every twig in the yard and carries, sometimes she tries to chew and eat. She is 7 mo. Could this mean that she is not satisfied with her diet?  We both worry that she will ingest something that makes her sick which is why we do keep a close eye on her. I have experienced several scares with her grabbing things in the yard and even, plants in the house which I have since moved out of her area. I thought of putting Bitter Apple on the landscape ties but I know it will come off. I try telling her  "leave it" -- but , she pays little attention to my scolding. I am beyond ideas as to what else I can do to keep things out of her mouth. I recall my other little Cairn loved to chew sticks. Anyone else have any stories to share? I am hopeful this will calm soon.

She is indeed, a cutie and has brought us so much joy since Trinity died. <3

trina-joy.jpg

• Like 4

Many generations back there must have some sort of terrier-termite DNA exchange because several of our pups have also been obsessed with gnawing wood. Barley took off a corner of house siding! Our piano had teeth marks as did a rocking chair rocker,  our kitchen table etc. 

Bitter apple can be reapplied (think of it more like sunscreen than armor).

If you have the spray bitter apple and can catch her in the act of chewing, you can squirt a small shot direct into her mouth. Don't do this unless you can do it literally as she is chewing on the wood. Doing it even five seconds after the fact is both pointless and cruel (it is unpleasant but she will not associate with the act of chewing, she'll associate it with you coming after her — not helpful long term).

We mostly relied on bitter apple (5% of the time) and vigilant watching coupled with chasing her off things as soon as the she made a move (95% of the time). 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

2 previous posts on this topic come to mind... One is Idahocairns recommending a firm "No"! while tossing a (soft) baseball cap in her direction during the act. The other is pcrossley's photo of the entire bottom corner of her chewed-off kitchen cabinet. (I think Redmond was the culprit)?😀 Worth another look, if it's still available!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hello bradl and sanford! I hope you had a great holiday so far. So, it appears that this is quite a common link with our woodsy Cairns :)

I will continue to apply the Bitter Apple and I have a baseball cap that can be put to use :) My goodness, puppyhood with Cairns is such a challenge; how quickly I had forgotten! However, the love that she provides is worth all the frustration!

Thank you!

Gina

• Like 1

OMG! I know that pkcrossley must not have proven amused with this but when we step away and collect a few breaths --- LOL! These pups are exactly as we described years ago, tiny terrors until they are at least two! We knew what we got ourselves into yet, their vibrant personalities are exactly why we wanted another Cairn!

Thanks for sharing!!!

1 hour ago, gd4 said:

tiny terrors until they are at least two! We knew what we got ourselves into yet, their vibrant personalities are exactly why we wanted another Cairn!

That's right! We feel for you! We've been there!

Trina Joy is just so sweet in her Christmas picture......who would ever think????? Cairn's cuteness is pretty often matched with cairn's destructive ability. I remember chewed legs on my chairs, chewed decorations on woodwork elsewhere, holes dug and plant roots ripped out and chewed. I'm sure others can add to this. Bitter Apple did not work for me. Angus didn't seem to mind the taste! Just had to try and to keep eagle eye open, leashed or put him in a safe place when I couldn't watch him. Kept working on "Leave it".Wonderfully and amazingly he grew out of this habit as grew older. I can't remember exactly when but he must have been 18 months or so before he gave up in the furniture.

• Like 4

Brodie is horrible about grabbing forbidden items and running away and hiding with them hoping no one will see him.....it is so much fun prying open his mouth to discover plastic, Christmas ribbons, etc.  He can squeeze under the bed, chairs, tables in a frantic effort to chew it up as quick as he can....

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Sam and I just had a rush visit with the vet . He ate a leaf  off a Jade plant. (which is now in the garbage). He will be ok... not sure I will make it though to his adulthood. 🤪🤪

• Sad 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Terrier lover - I hope Sam will be okay! I better check my plant, I have some type of succulent (not sure if it is classified as Jade). Trina Joy got into my variegated philodendron two weeks ago. I couldn't get into the poison hotline and opted for the online vet. Thank goodness, she was fine. I moved most of the plants upstairs in an isolated room. She managed to pull the plant to her through the openings in her playpen while I was upstairs working in the office :(

Honestly, Trina has already given me a handful of gray hairs in addition to those from my other beloved two who passed.

• Like 1

Yes he will be ok. They made him vomit and gave him some medication for nausea. I only now have spider plants in the house. Until this kid grows up I don’t want to take anymore chances.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

We were trying to play Taboo on Christmas and couldn't find the minute timer - guess what?  Brodie had it on the Lab's bed!!!  My DH found it and lucky for us it was in one piece....

• Haha 1

Pepper's Mom

Yes! LOL, Pepper Bug's Mom  - This sounds quite familiar. Trina Joy seems to be getting more ill-behaved in her 7 mo. than before. She appears to have HIGH energy despite attention, likes to naw at our hands and is still challenged with potty vs. playing outside. Whew, she's a handful!

• Like 1

Oh yes...Brodie turned 7 months on Dec. 5...still have to watch him like a hawk on the potty training, chewing fingers, running away and in circles, full of mischief!!! But he is so darn loveable! Loves to kiss and snuggle and hugs too!!! Squeals like a pig when he sees the kids - impulse control? None!  We are working on sitting before he gets his meal - his tongue still hangs out of his mouth when he is hungry (it wiggles like a worm!)

• Thanks 1

Pepper's Mom

Sam is just 8 months and although very much potty trained, he can’t be left alone as anything that is loose ie socks , cell phones Kleenex, books...well you get the message, is digested. Scares the hell out of me. I did laundry a couple of days ago and a sock dropped out of the dryer without me noticing. Went up stairs, all I could hear was his tail thumping away. A sign he is up to no good. In a space of 2 minutes he had eaten the heal off the sock. I sure hope he out grows this because I don’t think my heart can take it!🤪😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Terrier lover: OMG! YES! This is Trina Joy and she will be 8 mo. on 1/31. She is so active! I mean, the dog is full of boundless energy! She is constantly playing in her playpen with toys. I cannot leave her out of my sight without being contained. Truly a little devil! Sam and her would have one heck of a time.

It appears Nattie has developed a liking for fringe (on blankets, for example) and the soft coasters that we keep on the end table.  The fringe serves as dental floss and the coasters are apparently mini-frisbees.

• Haha 3

Oh my goodness! Hheldorfer, Trina Joy loves fringe, then again, anything. When she is in her playpen, she claws her little feet outside to pull things in to her and/OR she drags the pen with her to the desired item. When I am not so frustrated, I get a good laugh out of her high energy and such curiosity!

• Haha 2

Yes - the fringe on the blankets!!! Brodie can squeeze through the cat door to the laundry room and get to the cat food - quick as a bunny and cat food is gone!  AGGHHG!  In the picture Brodie (I realized he is almost 8  months!!!) is sitting on the Lab's bed where he runs and hides his "treasures" - at least I can catch him on the bed.  It is amazing how these little terriers can squeeze under and through any space and how quick they are!  I have given up chasing him and now shake the treat jar to see if I can get him out from under the bed...our house looks like the movie "Escape from New York" - baby gates and X-pens everywhere.  Pepper (the 6 year old Cairn) is disgusted with everyone at this point...

Teddy and Brodie 12.30.2017.jpg

• Haha 3

Pepper's Mom

Yes - the fringe on the blankets!!! Brodie can squeeze through the cat door to the laundry room and get to the cat food - quick as a bunny and cat food is gone!  AGGHHG!  In the picture Brodie (I realized he is almost 8  months!!!) is sitting on the Lab's bed where he runs and hides his "treasures" - at least I can catch him on the bed.  It is amazing how these little terriers can squeeze under and through any space and how quick they are!  I have given up chasing him and now shake the treat jar to see if I can get him out from under the bed...our house looks like the movie "Escape from New York" - baby gates and X-pens everywhere.  Pepper (the 6 year old Cairn) is disgusted with everyone at this point...

• Haha 1

Pepper's Mom