CairnTalk

Cairn attacked by Coyote

remltr

How terrifying. I must admit I did not watch the video, just to upsetting.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

How scary.That cairn was lucky his owner came out and the cairn could dash inside through the opened door. We expect coyotes out here in the wilds but in the suburbs - my goodness.

Saw this on the news this morning.  Very scary.  We live in a fairly densely populated area but see coyotes regularly.  Encountered one on a walk with Buffy and Ziggy last winter but it wandered off to find easier prey.  They generally don't attack when an adult human is around.

Hope little Boozer will be okay.

We live in a really dense urban area -- about a mile from the stadium where they will hold the Superbowl this winter, and about 2 miles from our downtown in Minneapolis. Yet I have seen coyotes in the street in front of my house, and they are seen regularly along the Mississippi gorge, which is just 8 blocks away. Apparently they adapt well to urban environments. That video was certainly scary - I could see Oban deciding to run off such an intruder, and he would be no match for a coyote.  

I have wondered whether people who post notices looking for lost cats have lost them to coyotes.  There is an eagle nest just along the river, and they were seen feeding their young a cat about a year ago...

Edited by Kathryn

Nightmare fuel! And Boozer is 14 (at least).

We live in the suburbs but next to a small park and wildlife refuge that includes known coyote bedding dens. They come with the territory along with the river otters, nutria, herons and osprey.  Despite a good fenced yard we remain wary of varmints!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Time to own an Irish Wolfhound! Had one years ago when I lived out in the country, nothing and absolutely nothing four legged or two legged ever bothered me. 😋

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

1 hour ago, pkcrossley said:

Boozer had a chance to run but he stood his ground and took it right in the face. Yikes. 

That's the scariest part.  These little dogs don't know when to back down.

• Confused 1

We live in a marginal area of our city, in "the hills" close to miles and miles of mountainous terrain and our neighborhood is rife with canyons and hillsides that still have plenty of natural overgrowth so an attack by a coyote is always a concern even tho we have never seen or heard one close by.  As I have recently posted, we have had numerous sightings of cougars in our immediate area, plenty of deer, and, just recently, a large flock of wild turkeys--each of which were unknown or rare twenty years ago.  It seems that "wildlife" around here has become the norm not the exception--I would expect that coyote's, being the adaptable specie they are, would be in the mix as well, especially considering how many mule deer run afoul of the highway below us--we see numerous casualties every winter and I am sure the predators take notice as well.
We have decided to not feed our large deer herd this winter--a hard decision since we have really enjoyed having them but that fear of predators and the increasing aggressiveness of those deer toward both the Cairns and us suggested that we should probably back off and let that growing herd disperse around our immediate area.  The more familiar those deer became with the dogs and us, the closer they allowed the dogs and we humans--to a point--it had gotten a bit scary so no more feeding.

it was also interesting to me that the coyote could clearly have killed Boozer by snapping his neck, but instead grabbed him by the pate and beat him up (real bad)  to punish him. the animal world is a really subtle place. 

I've seen coyotes on our morning dog walks several times and they've seen us, but have always turned and trotted down the street away from us.  We live in an urban area with no large parks nearby.  I am much more conscious when my dogs start barking and move away from dense landscaping and large bushes if I can't determine exactly what set them off.

Who rescued whom?

We saw a coyote at a friend’s house in a Chicago suburb.  It was a densely populated area and she said they are all over.  It was running along railroad tracks.  Yikes!  She owns Kirby’s sister and has to think about letting her out in the fenced backyard.

On our farm, we have coyotes all over.  Normally they’re only around after dark but one day I saw one stalking one of our peacocks.  The peacock made it easily to a tree but geesh, it was 9:00 in the morning!  When we get a fenced area next to the house, we’ll certainly think twice about leaving Kirby and Phinney out there alone.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We live in a big city and though we are completely  fenced, I still always keep an eye on the dogs while they are outside. We had a great horned owl 🦉 a year or so ago sit in one of our big pines all afternoon. Never let the dogs loose that day without us standing beside them.

Turn volume down or Elsie will blow out your ears.  This is why Elsie will not let me leave the farm without her - there is just to much she might miss out on.  She thinks she could take that coon and those coyotes "Let me at 'em Mom!"  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

i sort of like that raccoon's attitude. in another world we would have domesticated them and they would be the cairns of today --chasing wolves away from the door, the snuggling up beside the fire. 

• Like 2

You don't need a horn!!!  We saw a beautiful (but scary) male buck deer with a huge head of antlers on our walk in our neighborhood yesterday.  He was behind someone's fence nibbling on apples but giving us the stink eye.  Lucky for me the dogs (all three of them) didn't see him and we kept walking right on by.  A silly squirrel ran in front of us and that did get a reaction!  I thought Brodie wasn't going to have a prey drive, but it has evidently kicked in because he was as interested in that squirrel as Pepper and Teddy were!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

We live on the Nature Coast (west side) of Florida.  In our neighborhood (greenbelt community, lots of houses) there are TONS of coyotes.  We came home from a Christmas party about 11:30 Saturday night and I was just getting ready to take Murphy out to water his favorite tree and there was a pack of them laughing and cajoling just up the street.  Not sure exactly where they were, but I told Murphy to cross his legs for a few minutes.  

Our farm is located about 25 miles north and we have been very lucky that we have had no issues with coyotes getting onto the property.  We also have a very strong electric fence that I am sure has stung more than one...

I live in a semi rural area with deer and wild turkeys grazing out on our front lawn.  I have not yet seen any coyotes but have heard about sightings around the city.  They scare me to death!  So glad little Boozer is going to be okay.  I couldn't watch the video.

• 10 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 9:36 AM, Kathryn said:

We live in a really dense urban area -- about a mile from the stadium where they will hold the Superbowl this winter, and about 2 miles from our downtown in Minneapolis. Yet I have seen coyotes in the street in front of my house, and they are seen regularly along the Mississippi gorge, which is just 8 blocks away. Apparently they adapt well to urban environments. That video was certainly scary - I could see Oban deciding to run off such an intruder, and he would be no match for a coyote.  

I have wondered whether people who post notices looking for lost cats have lost them to coyotes.  There is an eagle nest just along the river, and they were seen feeding their young a cat about a year ago...

Kathryn-
Have you had the coyotes around your yard at all?  A few nights ago Winston was nose to nose (Fence in between) with a coyote in our back yard.  He had his sister Willow (Boarder collie / shepard) with him for protection.  But just wondering if you have used anything in your yard to try and keep the coyotes away.  

Thanks
Grant

I have seen one in the street in front of our house, in the middle of the night. Others have seen them down the block in their yards. I have not done anything to keep them out but we do have a six-foot fence around the back yard. But folks have posted video of coyotes jumping high fences. When we let Oban out in the back (only in winter as this area is gardened) we are with him.

Guest dog person
15 hours ago, Kathryn said:

I have seen one in the street in front of our house, in the middle of the night. Others have seen them down the block in their yards. I have not done anything to keep them out but we do have a six-foot fence around the back yard. But folks have posted video of coyotes jumping high fences. When we let Oban out in the back (only in winter as this area is gardened) we are with him. 

Exactly,   you can't leave pets outside unattended anymore, even in a fenced in yard.

If you do, don't be surprised if they are attacked by wildlife or disappear.

Edited by dog person

Though to be honest we are not accompanying Oban to keep him safe - we are accompanying him to keep our award-winning gardens safe. He is our first cairn with compulsions to dig...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, Kathryn said:

Though to be honest we are not accompanying Oban to keep him safe - we are accompanying him to keep our award-winning gardens safe. He is our first cairn with compulsions to dig...

The digging is fun for sure.  Picture is Willow watching Winston's back while he tries to dig to china...

wintson_digs_to_china.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2