CairnTalk

Introducing our new girl

hheldorfer

Nattie is such a blessing 💕

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

It sure is a blessing when a new cairn joins the family so easily. I think spirit of Buffy helped with this.

Happy New Year to Nattie and family and hoping many more to follow.🍾

• Like 1

I wasn't going to mention this because I didn't want to jinx myself but . . . I haven't yet heard Nattie bark.  DH heard her bark once, in the yard.  That's it.  We've had UPS deliver packages, food deliveries, people at the house . . . and no barking.  I can't say I'm upset by it, but this is unknown territory.  Buffy barked if she heard the UPS truck a mile away.

My initial theory was that she'd start barking once she realized this is her new home and territory, and would then start "defending" it by alerting us to various goings-on.  It's been over a month now and although I think she's completely settled in, she still hasn't barked. 

I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced this.  

Unfortunately not.💥 Although I must admit I do like the best alarm system anyone could own. Nobody can come near the house without a Cairn and Scottie being on duty warning the uprights that possible danger is approaching THEIR home.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Tewcsby will be 2 in March and he rarely barks, more when he’s nervous about something then anything else. He doesn’t even bark when someone comes to the door - he just gets excited that he’s going to have a visitor. My other cairn was the same way rarely barked - although she did if someone came to the door.

• Like 1

Sassy rarely barks, except for the following situations.

Sassy barks when the doorbell rings or someone knocks on the door. Sassy now barks when my cell phone rings, thinking it is the doorbell.

Sassy goes to work with me and sleeps under my desk, which is in the front office. She can hear the delivery doors open and she barks. And every day around 4 pm when UPS shows up for the daily pickup she goes beserk. She runs to the back barking and screeching the whole way. You would think she wants to kill the driver, but no, she wants the driver to pet her. She yelps the whole time the driver is there and slowly winds down after the driver leaves. Be careful what you wish for. 😀

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

1 hour ago, hheldorfer said:

It's been over a month now and although I think she's completely settled in, she still hasn't barked. 

Count your blessings!😀

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

52 minutes ago, sanford said:

Count your blessings!😀

Oh, believe me - I'm counting them!  Still, it's a radical change from Buffy.  

Both times we drove up to the breeder's house we were greeted by a dozen Cairns frantically screeching.  Could it be that Nattie was drowned out by louder Cairns and gave up?:P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, remltr said:

And every day around 4 pm when UPS shows up for the daily pickup she goes beserk. She runs to the back barking and screeching the whole way. You would think she wants to kill the driver, but no, she wants the driver to pet her. She yelps the whole time the driver is there and slowly winds down after the driver leaves. 

This was exactly what Buffy did, except it was for Bob the Mailman.  There was a very specific, special screech reserved just for him.😄

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Nattie is sure a sweetheart.  Bark?  Every once in a while someone will sneak up to the door - and Elsie and Dempsy are disappointed that they got under their radar.  Usually ... they are on every movement.  Sometimes, when all is quiet, I will knock on the kitchen counter just to make sure their awake.  HAHA - I just did and they are letting me know there is a possibility of an intruder.  All puffed up - tail in the air - a strong look of seriousness on their sweet faces. 

• Haha 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

NO bark? kidding right? whew, I thought it was soooo cute the first time Piper let out a woof. Now she's the world's best Cairn watchdog. Her excitement for many things gets her screeching beyond belief. earplugs required in the car if she sees another D-O-G.  we have to spell it.

steve