CairnTalk

Screaming

Trvlfast1

Our 14 1/2 yr old cairn has recently started screaming (no better description)  when moved from a laying down position. Had X-rays , blood work, on body sore, galliprant, Ursidol, and Denimerin. Can’t stand to have him in this pain.  Don’t want to have him suffer. Has anyone experienced this in their Cairn? My heart is breaking 

Yes, my 13 year old has done something similar a couple of times over the past two years, although it always passes after a couple of days. It seems to be associated with her neck, maybe.  Never any conclusive results from vet visits. Very frustrating.

Can he bestir himself without issue if no one is moving him, or is it any-time any-way he gets up?

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The meds you list are for liver problems, osteoarthritis, etc. Does your vet attribute the pain to these problems? If so, has he discussed pain meds?

Alternatively, it's not uncommon for a dog to have a sprained neck tendon or muscle from yanking or pulling on the collar. A vet can determine this by manipulating the neck/spine.

I hope you get relief for him ASAP.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank you for you quick reply. We have actually had his neck and shoulders manipulated and the pain does not seem to be coming from there. However I will definitely pay attention to the area on his next walk. With his liver values just now getting to an acceptable level we are discussing what pain meds may be options 

The pain does happen whether we move him or he moves himself. It frightens his fur brother and reduces me to tears. Has anyone tried CBD oil, I know it is an out there choice but it won’t mess with his liver values according to my research?

Has your veterinarian tried acupuncture?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Our vet did suggest accupuncture or laser treatment along with the homeopathic bone sore powder. My concern is he is 14 1/2 and has what seems like a strong pain tolerance. I do not want him to suffer if he needs stronger meds.

yes i've been through the pain screams. very heart-wrenching. in my dog's case was spinal pain. many possible causes, and possible to miss without an MRI (huge expense, but uniquely important for diagnosis). effective and long-lasting intervention may be possible with diagnosis. it is possible the pain is transient or associated with a particular position; he might not be suffering much between pains.