CairnTalk

AAHA Vaccination Recommendations (2017)

bradl

Vaccination Recommendations for General Practice

PDF (printable) Summary

Vet-focused, but a good reference. 

The AAHA Canine Vaccination Guidelines offer important updates to previously published guidelines as well as new, relevant information that directly impacts the practicing veterinarian: • Updated, quick-reference tables summarizing vaccination recommendations for client-owned and shelter-housed dogs. • Internet links that provide ready access to regularly updated online sources of information that will supplement the Guidelines themselves, for example, state-by-state information on rabies vaccination law and regulations, and comprehensive information on vaccine storage and handling. • Algorithms outlining indications for antibody testing (serology) as well as recommended actions for patients with a “positive” or “negative” test result. • Product information on the emerging class of immunotherapeutics approved for use in veterinary medicine.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you!  We are seeing a lot of dog flu in Ohio this year and I’m thinking about getting Pepper vaccinated for flu because she is very social -dog parks, day care, occasional boarding.  Has anyone had any experience with the flu that you can share?

• 2 months later...

I am really curious to hear how many folks get bordetella and lepto vaccines for their Cairns and why? I am still on the fence with these shots. The traditional vets really seem to push us here in the Midwest for such. Also, does anyone do titers for yearly distemper, etc? I have difficulty with our current vet being willing to do a titer but I noted online if I could get a blood draw a university in Kansas has a core titer for 55.00. ???

We do titers for Tewcsby, some vets just won’t because they are “old school”and they make lots of money off the vaccinations - that’s why you usually get a reminder to bring your pet in for their yearly vaccinations  it equals $$$ . He was still well within the limits of immunization for parvovirus , distemper etc.. our Vet Is both a regular and holistic vet, which helps.

• Like 1

We have done titers on our last three dogs. They only get their core puppy vaccines till they are 12-16 weeks and that is it. After that the first titers is at  one yrs old then next three years. All dogs have never needed to be re vaccinated.  Our vet is totally on board with that however our regulations up here in Alberta no doubt are different ie, Rabies vaccines are not mandatory. For me it’s a personal choice however there is certainly a new attitude among a lot of  forward thinking vets that we way over vaccinate our animals.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

On 2017-11-05 at 10:05 PM, JoJo said:

Thank you!  We are seeing a lot of dog flu in Ohio this year and I’m thinking about getting Pepper vaccinated for flu because she is very social -dog parks, day care, occasional boarding.  Has anyone had any experience with the flu that you can share?

My understanding - although I could be wrong- is that if a healthy dog gets the flu they don’t feel good for a couple days, and recover. If your dog is older or has a compromised immune system then it would be worth it to get the shot, but not necessarily for a healthy dog.

Every  time you get a shot- vaccine it has some type of heavy metals/ contanaments that your dog has to process through their liver. A 100lb dog gets the same amount as a 15lb cairn terrier........they are not geared to the size of the dog.....I try to avoid as much as possible.

Everyone has their own thoughts on this- these are just mine.

• Like 2

Thanks for this information, Brad.  It is particularly timely because we are weighing the advice of Nattie's breeder vs. the usual recommendations at the vet clinic.  I'll read the document carefully before Nattie has her first visit.

• 1 year later...
Guest dog person

I found these articles and comments informative:       http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/vaccines/

Below is an excerpt from:     http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/12/antibody-titer-testing-as-a-guide-for-vaccination-in-dogs-and-cats/

Legal Issues
The legal requirements for vaccination vary by county and even municipality, so it is difficult to make accurate generalizations. Most jurisdictions only require proof of vaccination against rabies, since that is the disease of greatest concern with respect to human health. Most jurisdictions also do not allow titer testing in lieu of vaccination for rabies, though some may. And when titers are used, the only test that is usually accepted is the FAVM from the Kansas State University veterinary laboratory. So while titers are representative of immunity for rabies in dogs and cats, and thus can indicate when vaccination is not needed, they are not often useful practically because they don’t fulfil the legal vaccination requirements.

Titers may or may not be accepted by other parties that require vaccination for other diseases, such as boarding kennels, training facilities, and dog show organizers. Which tests, if any, are accepted is up to the individual organization. So titers may not always be useful in avoiding vaccination if we are vaccinating specifically to meet a legal or institutional requirement.