CairnTalk

Drop it drop it.....no don't eat that!

Sam I Am

PK mentioned that in the past there was a thread about what our very naughty Cairns managed to steal, eat, and destroy. So I thought it would be fun (or not) to start another new thread on what our Cairns got into, what it cost us to get the into out of, what objects they loved etc.

i will start off as I posted it on my blog already, however I will repeat some of the items SAM has eaten, stolen and digested.

1. Reading glasses, destroyed . Thankfully not eaten

2. Part of a cloth toy. Visit to vet , object vomited up.

3. Bark,  pine cones, grass, dirt, pansies......basically what ever was in the garden!

Sam takes great joy in running around with objects of clothing, while sending his uprights on a merry chase yelling, drop it, drop it. 

Life is never dull with a young Cairn.:wub:

What things did your Cairn get into too?

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Socks, paper - loves shredding, ear plugs & ear buds -likes the smell, dryer balls, underwear- clean or dirty doesn't matter, rags- for shredding, clothing- fresh out of the dryer...basically anything he knows he shouldn't have. You know he has something he shouldn't by the way he prances by...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

...Bark,  pine cones, grass, dirt, pansies......basically what ever was in the garden!...

What is it with dirt? Ruffy seems to love the dirt in the flowerpots on the terrace and I had to move them to a higher spot. If I caught him in the act I would have attempted to discourage it, but he never does it when I'm there. Instead, I invariably notice his dirty face or discover the dirt scattered on the floor. Of course he always looks completely innocent!😇

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Buffy is a fan of dirt too!  Over the weekend I caught her eating soil from the garden.  She tried to act innocent but her snout was covered in mud.  This is why I follow an organic approach to gardening.  I don't know exactly what she's eating but I know there aren't any chemicals in it.  

• Like 2

Kelly and Prissy are in the lot as well. I have to say I don't eat dirt, but I have craved it before. When I do I eat a raw potato and that takes care of the craving. LOL maybe I am part Cairn. I love the smell of dirt right after a rain. 

Mine like socks, shredding toilet paper rolls into a million pieces, a hole in a brand new sofa where a piece of steak fell, and lots of rug chewing, and most recently a new health insurance card that came in the mail.

• Like 1

Peacock poop (free, we have peacocks)

Pork bone some workers threw on the ground ($$$ after x-rays and scope surgery to extract it)

Underwear (Phinney loves the laundry basket and drags them all over.  Again, free since he doesn’t chew them up)

Power cord for back up hard drive (unknown cost yet)

And yes, I always know when they have something they shouldn’t because they race around with it like they’re doing a victory lap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Most embarrassing.......I put Angus's leash on, a soft cotton one, and sat him on the floor by the side of my arm chair while visitors came. He was young then and I didn't want him jumping on them. We chatted. He was quiet. They commented on how cute he was. I was feeling good about him. We continued to talk. Meanwhile ..........he was quietly chewing through his leash then....happy  sociable, pup jumped on the visitors wagging his tail and giving licks. Cairn one, owner none, in that innings!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pits.jpg

We once parked in an orchard for an earthdog weekend with our first Cairn Barley, early in October. Results:

• Monday, six whole plum pits in Barley’s crate.
  • A week later a seventh.
  • Two weeks later, an eighth.
  • Later, cleaning underneath Barley’s crate, we found a ninth pit. Actual date of disgorgement unknown.

That shiny thing’s a nickel. It’s there for scale. As far as I know, Barley never coughed up any spare change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Unsolved coprophagia phenomenom.  Our Nelly has decided her own poop is delicious.  My hubby picks it up most time before she gets to that.  Not sure what to do about it.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

One of Dundee's nicknames is Dungdee, if that's any consolation.  He was especially fond of the late Echo's and would occasionally appear to be trying to get it while being delivered. :sick: :sick: 

Beyond that, we scoop frequently and call him off if he looks too interested in anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Ah yes the infamous Poopcicles!  :sick:Grateful Sam and Rosie are not partaking in the "brown feast". Jock on the other hand found them rather tasty and I am sure the neighbours thought I was loopy running behind his butt with a small shovel.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Okay, while we are on this disgusting subject, I will add that Gus's favourite feces flavour is HUMAN (not mine!!!) occasionally encountered in the bushes while hiking. It gives his breath that je ne sais quoi....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Someone used to do some late night snacking and littering at a school along our morning walk.  Loki would dive into the pile of fast food wrappers and bags usually coming out with a soiled napkin or french fry.  One morning he came out with a very familiar green color hanging out of his mouth but got it swallowed before I could get it.  It took about a day for the dollar bill to come out the other end.  I washed it and spent it on dog treats.

• Haha 1

Who rescued whom?

Just discovered what Pepper is after, constantly rooting around in the grass under trees -rabbit poop!  It’s also amazing how she can make a beeline to the one pile of cat poop left by the neighbor’s cat on our approx, 1acre mowed lawn -and remember it every time she’s taken out!

• Like 1

Was on the phone and when I hung up I heard a  Crunch crunch....SAM eating parts of a rubber backed mat!  Will wait for blue bits to come out tomorrow...I hope!  He will eat anything which scares the heck out  Of me...I hope he outgrows this. Well one good thing he isn't a poop eater..yippee for that.

• Like 1

Related to this topic, I came across this sweet 13 yr old Bull Terrier mix named Harper at the dog run today. I've known her for quite a while and this is the first time she was wearing a muzzle. If you look closely you'll see it reads, "I EAT GARBAGE". Her owner told me Harper has gotten sick a number of times, from scarfing up "goodies" from the dirty city streets, so desperate measures were called for. It was both comical😀 as well as a bit sad😟 to see!  IMG_1217.thumb.jpg.51594a357783f103330a4811f8ceccce.jpg

Edited by sanford
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 2 weeks later...

Both of ours, Titan and Daisy, have a fondness for poop burgers. Their own, though. We tried a few copraphagia-discouraging products, to no avail. If you have had success with anything as a food additive, please share that. Daisy, because we take her out on her leash early in the morning and after meals, has been the easiest to deal with. We can scoop it up before she's dives in.

In reading some of the hijinks other posters'  pups have been complicit in, I see Daisy right in there with the rest. Titan, not so much. He came to us at age 2 so we didn't see if he was a big chewer/gnawer. Probably was.

Daisy has tried chewing on everything at least once. Really have to keep an eye on her. Hope she grows out the need for destructive tendencies.

Edited by Luke Bizzy