CairnTalk

Lawn Care Services - Chemicals

gd4

I thought I would post this as a new topic. Please forgive me if I should not have done so. What are your thoughts and experience with new puppies and TruGreen or other lawn care chemical services? I don't approve but my husband has utilized them for our lawn for several years. For our two pups, I made sure to wait several hours before I let them out. Also, after the initial application, if they needed to go out, I would walk them down the street to the park. They were adult/senior dogs.

Now, that I have the new puppy, I am concerned. We have them scheduled to come out in a week or so. Our neighbor just had his lawn sprayed this afternoon. The chemicals bother me when I go out. Therefore, I am very hesitant about bringing our puppy out (even though our yard in the burbs' is fenced from his). I thought of taking her out on the leash and carrying her to the other side of the yard, opposite of his. I cannot take her to the park because I don't want her on the sidewalks, etc. yet.

I am so concerned. These new puppy worries are as challenging as senior care!

Thanks!

Gina :)

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

We use a lawn service and in addition to the “Dogs at play - please close gate” sign on the gate to the backyard I also made a bright orange engraved sign that says “No fertilizer in back yard” in English and Spanish. Better Homes and Gardens will not be doing a photoshoot in our backyard :P  The front yard is maintained for the neighborhood association but the backyard is for the dogs. 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We don't us any chemicals or sprays at all. Back lawn is fertilized with alfalfa pellets, front lawn is over seeded and we have seeded clover. It's thick and lush . In my opinion anything that is a chemicals is bad for us, the environment, animals, birds and bees. Ok now I will get off my soap box.🐝

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you Bradl and Terrier lover for sharing your insights. I am in total agreement. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by those who don't seem to see the same risks as I do and consider me over paranoid. I'm not so sure I should have gotten this puppy after all. It's just a lot of stress and worry after losing my girl on Labor Day. It's not the puppy's fault. Trust, it's just too much for me to handle, I suppose.

Gd4 give yourself time. I totally get where you are coming from. Puppies are A lot of work, but it does get way easier as time progresses . And off course you worry, they get into everything, pee and poop when the urge hits them, and basically turns your quiet home into a zoo. Enroll in puppy classes, they are fun, and you get to see that all of us share the same common issues with these wild young ones. Losing a dog you have had for a long time is tough, but given time this puppy will fill your heart up to the brim again. It all just takes time. Before you know it they are full grown and you miss their puppyhood. 

Also wanted to add...I am a total helicopter mum when it comes to my animals. Nothing to be Ashamed of...we just care deeply for our critters. Some people just don't get that. So sad too bad.😝

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Terrier lover, thank you so much for your kind words and understanding. They mean a lot. I take care of my dogs more than most people do their kids. You get it :) Gina

• Like 1

I've written here before about a relative in the suburbs where every lawns tree,  shrub and flower bed is manicured, chemically treated and tended to by an army of gardeners. She lost 4 dogs, ( a Golden, a Chow, 2 Schnauzers) over the years to cancer in the early prime of their lives. One can only wonder...

• Thanks 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I would take her to the side of the house for a few days- there must be a protocol / information about a particular lawn chemical that has guidelines about when pets and children can play on the lawn after spraying. I've had no need to look for it because we don't spray, but I'm sure it must be out there.i know when we go to Florida I see signs that say something like " sprayed on such & such date , stay off lawn for x amount of days".  

• Thanks 1

Hi Sanford, I totally agree with you. My husband, like many, like to have their lawns treated. However, I am totally against chemicals of any kind. He thinks I am OCD about everything. It makes it tough for me despite my well-prepared debate :)

Min D - Yes, this is what we did late last night. We brought her to the other side of our house, away from neighbors, plus, it had been raining all evening. When she gets older and I feel more comfortable taking her to the park and on the sidewalk, she will not touch the lawn for at least 8 hours. The guidelines that Trugreen provides is 4 hours or until the product is dry but I have never went by that. I do everything I can, to control within my realm, the extra exposure.

I am challenged by the "old school" folks who tell me that a dog is a dog and it is what it is. But, I see many dogs who die young and I believe it is because of the lack of conscientious care provided (including, people) of their bodies. Gina

Edited by gd4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being where we live people are for ever putting all kind of de icers on the sidewalks. We put boots on our dogs and if they have wet feet after the walk we wash their feet, because as we all know they like to lick their feet. People have also accused me of being ridiculous...my answer is , go in your bare feet, soak them in the bath of chemicals that is on the ground, go home and lick your feet! Do that all winter long, then Wait a few years and see what health issues you have. Whether you are a human  or a dog, chemical applications effect all of us the same way.  I always stay away from products that say safe for dogs but keep away from children...so how much sense does that make!

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't really help. Just writing to commiserate with you. Pretty scary living in urban areas.

Never had this problem as  I live in the wild and scarcely populated mountains. Occasionally weed spraying on some roads. You can request them not to spray in certain areas. No neighbors spray their lawns - well can't really say we have 'lawns' just all kinds of green stuff mainly grass, clover and an assortment of weeds which we just mow down as best we can with the help of deer, rabbits and assorted wild life -they also do what fertilizing we ever do! Not to say there aren't dangers for a pup - hungry bobcats, coyotes, foxes have families to raise and a cairn pup - or even an adult cairn could make a tasty meal.

I think  if I had to I would just do the best I could like you and others describe. Keep away from treated ares as much as possible, especially when one has a pup. You will figure out the best way for you and your new friend. No matter where one lives there are hazards to overcome of one sort or another. One just has to figure the best way forward.

Puppy cairns are a challenge in every way - for a long time. I was very surprised when Angus jumped into my life. I hadn't had a pup for several years. However I found all the hassle was well worth it when he (finally!) grew up. And even while growing up he was so funny and so lively and so ready for anything - a joy  Many time I just had to smile no matter what.

• Like 3

Hillscreek, thank you for sharing. I am always so happy to visit here for the common thread that we all share in these sweet dogs. This little girl is SO smart. She is funny to watch and very loving. I am doing all I can to protect her. She makes me smile as I am definitely still in depression and going through grief after what I went through with losing my last two within a period of three months. Thank you so much. All of you are much appreciated.

I am happy that my husband canceled the remaining TruGreen visit. He told me that he will consider in the spring, only the front yard, if any. When our neighbors has theirs sprayed, we plan to take the dog to the side of the house or keep her on paper. Whew!

• Like 1