CairnTalk

Lexi, Diet, and Tantrums

Monia

Hi Everyone, Lexi and I are new to the site, and each other.  She's approx 2yrs old, and a rescue.  I"ve owned many breeds of dogs, but the Lexi is my first Cairn.  We have been together now for 1week, and I couldn't believe what a GREAT dog she was being.  THEN. . .  the terrier came out - hahaaa.  Being used to dealing with stubborn dogs, I thought this was going to be a walk in the park - she is quite the challenge.  My first question to you seasoned cairn owners:  do you dogs have allergies, and if so what type of diet do you have them on?  I have just switched her to a lamb diet now as I think maybe  chicken is the culprit.  I have ensured that she is on grain free also.  

2nd:  she will have full blown temper tantrums.  Is this normal for her?  I mean, she wants to eat me (good thing she only weighs 8lbs).  I do not put up with her attitude.  I will calmly turn her on her back and keep her there until she has calmed down.  

any pointers are greatly appreciated.  I ADORE this little girl, we need to curb her personality ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Account Deleted

Welcome to the wonderful world of stubbornness 😂😂 I was going through the same thing today with Otis. He barks in my face,  tries to bite my hand,  he eight months old so about a month now .   I'm just really stern with him,  and I ignore him .  Does it work? Not always - lol.  I shame him a lot they don't like to be talked down to and that seems to work with him,  yelling does nothing , on his back does nothing. This probably lasts in spurts throughout the day.  Then he flops down on the floor.  I give him wellness core grain free and I put a pump of wild salmon oil in his food in the morning, that helps .  So far so good ,  I will switch to the small breed wellness in a couple of months .

I walk him 2 miles a day or at least an hour in the morning .   That definitely helps and a walk before bed at night ,  they need to get their energy out .  He will sleep from 9 o'clock until I wake him up at 8 o'clock in the morning ,  i'm up at six I have to go upstairs and wake him up .

I hope I have helped you and let me tell you I've had plenty of dogs over the years, my mini schnauzer Daphne was the love of my life ,  but Otis is right up there with her !!

Edited by Account Deleted
  • Like 1

I will leave it to other experienced cairn owners to discuss behavior/personality issues.

As to diet/allergies, chicken seems more and more to be recognized as the culprit. It's probably the most widely used meat product and most USA raised chickens are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, so your suspicions might be correct, and eliminating it from the diet still leaves you with many other food sources to try.

Welcome to Cairn-world, (otherwise known as Oz)!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank You both for your insight!  She's PERFECT, other than the temper tantrums.  And I do realize that she's still in the rebellious stage.  I've raised TWO high maintenance daughters ;).  the first time was over me lifting her while she wouldn't stop barking - she didn't win.  the other was over a leaf she was eating.  again, she didn't win.  She has gastro issues, therefore I'm VERY careful of what goes in her mouth.  she doesn't soil in the house, she's very calm most of the time.  The barking, we are working on.  

thanks again to both

Both our Cairn pup Sam and our 5yr old Scottish Terrier are fed  raw elk or bison. If you are interested in feeding a raw based diet a very good brand is made in Saskatchewan so pretty sure it's sold in your neck of the woods. There is really good information on feeding raw and the company has been in business over 20 yrs and have had no issues. https://www.carnivora.ca/index.cfm

Our Scottie had gi issues but this raw diet has been wonderful. They both have no weight issues have tons of energy (SAM is only 5 months old...sigh)

In regards to tantrums, ignoring and shaming works great..lol. Also I have started puppy classes with Sam that are based on  positive reinforcement instead of punishments and it works great.For Sam and our previous Cairn rolling over charged them up to ("I will fight you to the end of the world mode)so I have gone the total opposite and SAM although still a little devil has never shown any sort of aggression...naughty yes, mouthing yes etc. But no aggression. Even now taking a raw meaty bone from him works great. I ask for the bone and offer a piece of cheese in exchange...no problem. We will no doubt get to the point where to bribe will not  be needed.And yes Cairn pups are a lot of work but you won't find a better pal In the long run.

One last comment. We want SAM to bark and warn us of stranger about, which he does. However when he barks out of control because he is miffed at Our Scottie, out com s the water spray bottle. We only have to lift it up and we have silence.😅

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

we should have a special department for experienced dog owners with their first cairn. i wonder if it is an advantage or a disadvantage to have had dogs previously --does it make it easier for cairns to surprise and, truth be told, disturb us?

monia from your photo it appears that you have yourself a fantastic little dog. we recognize that look on her face. it is also important that you said she is 2. cairns mature a bit late. 2 is right smack in the middle of a cairn's most tumultuous phase of life. we have all noticed that at age 3 there is a remarkable change in a cairn --calmer, more confident, much more attentive to human companions. but we have to get there. 

it sounds to me like the process you are going through is pretty typical cairn. first she is all sweetness and light, but once she feels like she is settling in, she goes on the inborn cairn campaign to conquer the world. temper tantrums --we all know exactly what you mean, no need to explain-- are an important part of her campaign. cairns were bred to have an inborn trigger to make them go into a frenzy when fighting extremely dangerous animals --sometimes in an underground burrow. they learn to use that trigger for fun and profit --and the challenge of raising a cairn is to convince the dog that such antics not needed for survival and will only make them unpopular in the house. 

you can read miles of threads on here about this particular problem, and probably find a lot of good ideas for getting this in hand (not everything works on every dog, you have to experiment). the short of it is: your little wonder needs to have boundaries clearly pointed out and totally consistently enforced. she has to lose all hope of dominating you without losing her trust in you. 

the rules have to be comprehensive. that is, if you don't like the fact that she tries to boss you about one particular thing, dont let her boss you about anything. make her sit politely and wait for her meals. make her sit politely and wait to be leashed. make her go through a door after you. don't let her hoard toys or treats. these dogs are serious people --they don't do well with a laissez-faire environment, and they don't find it flattering to not be taken seriously. 

she has to be iron-clad on "sit" and "stay." not only for safety and convenience, but because a cairn who responds to commands can be handled in any situation. 

lexi looks like a very self-respecting cairn, which means she will fight back. they do not give up until all hope is lost --which means, you and anybody else in your house must be perfectly consistent. if she gets a hint that somebody is going to get soft, she will be all over that. 

convincing lexi that she cannot intimidate you is essential. the temper tantrums are horrendous and the first time you see them shocking. make yourself invulnerable. there are several ways. i have tried and i have recommended a harness with a short leash, worn in the house, maybe for a couple of weeks --one false move, up up and away (in my case, to a time out). i have also used and recommend woodstove mitts. even a cairn cannot bite through them. i also minimized physical confrontations with my cairns. in most cases, shunning did the trick --they cannot stand to be ignored. but cairns are very serious about conquering the world if they can. so be ready for anything. the point is: lexi cannot think she can intimidate you and --equally important-- she cannot think that she can make you sad or angry. if she thinks she can push your buttons, she will do that all day. keep calm, don't yell, use no-muss-no-fuss techniques like the harness and short leash, let her do all the wondering and worrying. it will work out, she really wants to respect and trust you. but she will make you earn it.  

the good news is: 1) most cairns who become truly convinced that they cannot win will not waste time on a losing game. they are actually very practical little people 2) any terrier who can confidently relinquish command to a human is much happier for it --there is nothing worse than a worried, paranoid terrier 3) we have all gone through struggles with our cairns and most of us have found that it makes the relationship deeper once things are resolved --cairns are truly uncanny companions once they have become convinced that everybody is safe in their humans' hands. 

• Like 4

Welcome to you and Lexi!  This is a great place for everything Cairn.  If you read through some of the posts in this Behavior and Health section you will quickly see that you are not alone.  If you stay the course and don't give up (even for a minute - and I personally believe Cairns can count minutes) you will have a dog that will steal your heart like no other.

Monia, let me toss you a life ring.  Having rescued two female Cairns I have learned one lesson pretty well and it is that the dog you have now, a couple of weeks in a new environment IS NOT the dog you will end up with in six months to a year.  Rescue Cairns tend to test their new situation with all sorts of little behaviors that, in my experience, disappear pretty quickly if you are gently firm with them. 
Remember two things about your new dog--Cairns are whip smart and manipulative as the dickens and if you let them, they will set the agenda and expect you to honor it.  The extent that you let them get away with it depends entirely on your tolerance. 
Don't be afraid to be the pack leader, your rescue will resist but it will be a minor rebellion, stay the course and understand that these little terriers aren't confused by humans but will test.  I always think of mine as being like water  under pressure, water always is seeking a way to escape and any little defect will create a leak.  When I'm tested by my Cairns I always try to remember that analogy.

• Like 3

Wow, I certainly appreciate your great pointers and suggestions.   I've owned different breeds such as:  GS, Chinese Char Pei's (both stubborn breeds) however, neither of them have had temper trantrums like my Lexi.  However, I have to admit. . . . .  she's had 3 (and knock on wood) it has stopped there.  

I do not allow her to walk in front of me, she does sit before and after leashing her.  I do put my hand in her food bowl while she eats with no issues.  My challenge is the barking as I live in an apt and she often hears doors, footsteps, and voices.  She is getting much better.  Lexi is  7lbs of love and affection, and 107lbs of stuborness but I wouldn't have her any other way :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monia said:

...My challenge is the barking as I live in an apt and she often hears doors, footsteps, and voices...

Ruffy and I also live in an apartment. One technique that worked to discourage barking was offered to us by Idaho Cairns - A firm loud "no bark" while tossing a (soft) baseball cap in Ruffy's direction.

Also -  have you honed your water-bottle-spritzing skills?😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I did expect a bigger 4 legged baby to greet me the first time I saw her.  Since she is a rescue, she could be a mix as I have no idea of her lineage.  The great thing about her size is that she enjoys being held / carried.    

Welcome Lexi and Monia!  Would love to see Lexi in some pictures - she sounds like a gem.  The cairn world will make you stronger. :)

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

🤓😓  OH NOOOO!!!  So, Lexi hit a new level of BADNESS last night.  I had company, and she BIT him!!!!  OMG, I was sooo surprised.  She appeared to be excited to see a visitor.  She was jumping to greet him and all of a sudden she grabbed the back of his leg.  I grabbed her and pined her to the ground until she calmed down, and released her.  He then commanded her to sit, and lay down.  on cue, she obeyed.  I was in awwwww. . . she has never gone on a down for me.  I'm soooooo upset about her behaviour.  she's such a sweetheart. .  . . . I've been taking her EVERYWHERE with me, I have company often.  I'm calling around today for some training classes. . .  . . . 

Was it in the excitement of the moment of greeting a new person? A real aggressive bite or a nip...not that either is acceptable. I think finding a kind and positive trainer is a good idea. One never knows what these rescue animals have gone through. Perhaps she felt you were threatened . Interesting that she listened to your guest.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

yikes. yes, training will help, and there is also a chance that it was an accident. in any event she needs to learn to sit and greet all visitors calmly. but cairns will ALWAYS retain an impulsive streak (this is why it is never good to leave them off-leash) and it is always possible for the best-trained and best-intentioned cairn to get impulsive. the goal is to keep the opportunities for that as close to zero as possible. she will get there. fortunately a 7 lb dog --even a cairn-- is not going to maim anybody. but cairn teeth are sharp as needles and they have the jaws of much bigger dogs. even the tiniest cairn (and this is the tiniest i have heard of) has to be treated with the seriousness of a much bigger dog. 

• Like 2