CairnTalk

Checking In - Update on IBS

gd4

Hello, all,

It's been since May that I was here. It has proven a busy summer. After my Dad had the stroke, he was in a bad car accident three weeks ago. Thank goodness, he survived and is now in physical therapy. I am the sole caregiver, lots of running. I know many of you recall that we lost our boy Max in May. Since that time, we have not gotten another pup. We are not ready for two.

Little Trinity is doing very well. As you may recall, we almost lost her at Christmas last year. She has been cut down on the Metronidazole to only 1/4 tab once daily for the last few months. She does well on Natural Balance, wet and dry food, Venison and Sweet Potato. She enjoys their treats of the same brand and the Hills Hyper Allergenic Treats. She has gained weight and up to 16 lbs. 3 oz.!!! The doctor said that we can start thinking about trying her off the med. As most of you know, I am beyond thrilled. She is my girl. She will be 14 in October and she stays by my side all the time.

We are boarding her for an upcoming trip and I am sick to leave her alone. She has went to this hotel for many years with her brother but now she is by herself. I have left instructions and will bring her meds/food. She has never had issues when we left her before. The last time was two years ago. Of course, I am worried sick. She will only be there four nights.

I wish you all the best and hugs to your babies.

Gina

Edited by gd4

Idaho Cairns

Gina, thanks for checking in--looks like there's a lot on your table.  I understand your concern about boarding--we have the same reluctance, even knowing that time isn't something dogs are aware of--they just exist, not counting the hours and days.

• Like 1

thanks for the update. you're impressive --with all you've had to deal with, you've done brilliantly with trinity. she'll be okay for a short stay in a familiar place. think how happy she'll be when you come home. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Idaho and PK, I really appreciate your support. It has been a rough ride here since October. I'm ready to coast a while :)

I hope you are doing well and wish you both the best. And, of course love to your precious babies :) - Gina

• Like 1

Know you will miss your girl when on trip, but have fun and a wonderful reunion when you get home. 
Some years are just harder than others aren't they,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling uncomfortable about leaving my pup! I have her scheduled for boarding and now she is acting strange. Could it be that she senses this, or my own separation anxiety from her? For the last three days, she refuses to eat. She will pick at her canned food that I hide her tablet in the AM. She is not eating in the afternoon. She turns her nose up at her food. Because of her IBS, I cannot just switch to something else. I don't want to because of boarding her! I am worried and don't know what to do. She will still eat her special treats and sit near us to beg for people food (which we do not give her, anymore). I wonder if she is in a new place around other dogs (I know she misses her brother who died in May) that maybe, she'll pick up and eat for someone else. Or, maybe, she is just getting old. I'm going to do a senior panel on her when I return.

My back-up plan is for my petsitter to pick her up if they call from where she is staying. She will bring her to the Vet and he will board her if she becomes ill. Thoughts? UGH! Sick with worry. Otherwise, all functions are normal. She is drinking water, going to potty and bowels are fine. Gina :(

Edited by gd4

I like your back up plan. I think that's a really good idea if things don't work out at the kennel.i totally get your anxiety...I would be the same. IBS can be so troublesome when they get anxious. Our previous Scottie suffered with that and we always went for a In house dog/house sitter. If I was you I would pick the best situation that makes you the most comfortable . Would the pet sitter be able to stay in your house while you are gone?

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

They found a large mass in my baby's intestinal area tonight. She became violently ill after picking her up from boarding. Prayers, please. I'm numb.

Edited by gd4
  • Sad 1

So sorry to read this... I know just how you feel - when the worry just takes over. I will be thinking of you and little Trinity and looking forward to an update, hoping for better news!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hello, I am here because I know that only you all can possibly understand.

When we picked up Trinity from boarding last night, she seemed to have taken a turn for the worse. I thought she was just being picky over her food the last couple weeks but when I think back there may have been signs. She was a very hardy dog and rarely showed signs of pain or sickness unless she was near death before. I took her to the vet for all clear on 8/7. At that time, we remarked about the weight she had gained and how we would try to take her off the IBS med. A week later, she started being picky about her food and seemed to want to beg us for people food more than she had since the holidays in December when she was sick. This made no sense because we had not given her scraps and strict her food. But, she was okay with that. Something tells me that she knew then, something was going on and tried to compensate by wanting to eat something different. She seemed strange, lately, as if she was showing a few signs of old age. She slept all the time. Anyway, today, the ER vet (same center that saved her at the holidays) told me there was nothing we could have done. He found a mass in her intestines. Then, whatever was inside had leaked into her gut and this morning she was becoming septic when they tested the fluid. Her belly was filling with fluids they gave her to prevent her from dehydration (which she was when we picked her up last night). I have no reason to think that the people where I boarded her neglected her and the vet thinks this was going on before we dropped her off and maybe, just escalated the inevitable. She would have been 14 on 10/18. He thinks it was either a tumor or fungal infection. Her belly was fully of bacteria. However, I have  no idea where she could have eaten something. Again, this started before boarding, he says. Also, she drinks water from the fountain at times outside but she was on all shots, including , lepto and everything. I just don't think it was anything we could have prevented. The doc stated this but of course to have a dog who just acted old but was in such good spirits less than a month ago, and now. ??? I am just devastated. The doc told me today no matter how much money we had, nothing could fix this. He said she would need open ab surgery and still would rarely live through it. We put her down after many consults with him last night and this am. When I saw her this am she looked at me (we always had a human intuitive connection together) and I could tell she was not "here" --- she wanted me to accept that it was time to part. She couldn't even stand up or wag her tail. They said when the fluids kicked in at about 2:00 am, she did briefly get up and wag her tail for them but after a while bp and levels crashed again. I am beyond myself. I had dogs. But, she was not like a dog to me. I have no babies. She was our kid. But, she seemed like a wise sage to me at times, the way she looked at me. I could talk to her and she would "get it" - the last two weeks, she looked at me as if she was trying to tell me something. She would sleep and then awake to look at me quickly to see if I was there, then close her eyes to sleep again. I keep telling myself that by leaving her, I didn't kill her. The vet told me this but I can't accept it. I am miserable, devastated. I just don't know how I will get through this. :( Thank you for reading. I'm sorry for all the errors, I just can't think.

Edited by gd4
  • Sad 1

Your vet is right and this was a path she was on no matter what you did. You did right by her.

We lost Granger suddenly under very similar circumstances; when the vet came back with the analysis of the abdominal fluid the way he put it was "I'm afraid this is the worst possible result." The die was cast and the time was now. It sounds like this was the case for Trinity and I hurt for you.

All we can do is forge ahead, staggering from the rawness of the loss but stronger for having known and loved them.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Oh no....I have tears in my eyes right now....I am so very sorry about Trinity....please know that we are all thinking about you and hurting along with you about losing Trinity.

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

• 1 month later...