CairnTalk

Hemangiosarcoma

hheldorfer

11 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

...some more time together, is a blessing, even if a difficult one. 

I agree with pk and I find her words comforting, as I hope you do, as well.

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

On 8/13/2017 at 10:25 AM, hheldorfer said:

Yes I do.  It's a nasty, sneaky cancer, isn't it?  I hate to ask you this but what did you see in his last days?  Did he decline gradually over a few days or was it sudden.

One veterinary article I read online suggested euthanasia before the decline even begins, but that is simply appalling to me.

Packy kind of slowly declined over three months.  About 10 days before the end, we thought we would lose him but he rallied and had some really good days.  I think he even went swimming and fishing.  About a week before the end, he raced out the door and chased the peacocks to the barn.  He trotted back with a huge smile on his face!  Two days before the end, he was hunting and digging for gophers.

We knew the end was near when he could barely walk out to go potty.  It happened quickly, maybe over just a day or so.  And he looked at me.  It was the look that told me he was ready.  I hated it but he knew what was best.  And you'll know.  It's hard but you'll know.  Hugs from us...

• Like 4
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

42 minutes ago, pkcrossley said:

it sure looks like it made her day! now she wants to know what kind of fun you have planned for tomorrow!

It's going to be difficult to keep up the pace!  Tomorrow Buffy will have to settle for a visit from the sewer guys - and who wouldn't love *that*?.  She's already booked another pal for next Tuesday.  I am now just her scheduling secretary.

• Like 7

So sorry to hear about Buffy. You are giving her the best care a dog can get. I'll never forget the night she went to steal Ziggy's treat. She snuck up on him, one paw up, one paw down. She got the treat before Ziggy knew what happened. Ziggy went to look for his treat and couldn't figure where it was. We all love Buffy very much. Hope she has many months of good life.

• Like 1

I don't know how I have missed this topic. Crying so hard I can hardly type. I so understand the feeling of helplessness, and I am so sorry for this diagnosis, and that helpless feeling that comes with it. I hate that you have to go through this at all. Especially with such a wonderful Cairn. My heart feels like it is being ripped out.  Prayers for your family. Lots of love and hugs from us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lynn in TN said:

I don't know how I have missed this topic. Crying so hard I can hardly type. 

You're such a sweet person, Lynn.  Please don't cry because if you cry, I'll cry too.  Let's make a pact to save the crying for later.:hug:

• Like 2

so sorry.  Yes, you will have to keep the pace.  That's what we do for the ones we deeply love.  Sounds like little Buffy is enjoying her days and probably is wondering what all the fuss is about. -_-  God bless their sweet little beating hearts - for they know to live for the moment and enjoy.  We all love you Buffy ... just keep doing what your doing - you have a great family! 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So very sad to read this news.   Buffy looks very good right now, she's happy and looks healthy and having you and your husband giving her all the love in the world, is the best medicine there is.  Prayers for your family and Buffy and like other's have said before me, she will let you know when it's time.  *Hugs*

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Helene, just caught up with your thread on Buffy--reading the scientific name for the cancer made be believe the thread was one of those medical things I usually don't respond to.
It's hard living with all those "unknowns" in a beloved pet because you have to balance the joy of sharing the love with the responsibility of minimizing the pain w/o being able to assess the degree.  Difficult balancing act.  Best scenario is to have Buffy for those 12+ months.
Wish you and the DH weren't riding this emotionally draining situation but ....! 
Sorry I have been remiss in commenting, wish there were words adequate to sooth but, of course, there aren't.
If I can help now or then, please feel free.

• Like 2

I'm very sorry to hear this news.  Buffy and Ziggy and you and your hubs will remain in my thoughts and my heart.

We are all here for you.

PS:  Love the new topic with the happy pictures.  ox

• Like 1