CairnTalk

Hemangiosarcoma

hheldorfer

We got the pathology results for Buffy's splenectomy on Wednesday - hemangiosarcoma.  I waited to post because she had her vet appointment today to have her stitches removed and blood sugar checked.  The incision healed well but her blood sugar is still high and the vet increased her insulin dosage.

We talked to the vet about her diagnosis and what to expect.  He said she could have one month or eleven months left, depending upon how quickly the cancer grows and where it settles.  It's in her blood now and, as I understand, generally ends up in the heart or liver.  I was somewhat relieved to find out that she shouldn't be in pain (from the cancer, at least) until the very end.  He said we probably wouldn't notice any changes until one day she suddenly becomes very lethargic and/or collapses.  That's when we will rush her immediately to the vet and see her off to rainbow bridge.  

So I suppose DH and I will both be on high alert, keeping an eye on her and making sure she's okay.  I think Ziggy will tell us if anything is wrong.  We think he diagnosed this problem - possibly both the cancer and the diabetes - long before she started showing symptoms.  He began trying to take possession of one of Buffy's dog beds in the living room.  He'd stand by the bed and bark and then jump on it and dig, daring her to take it away from him.  She didn't show even the least bit of concern.  We should have known that something was wrong, because Buffy never lets Ziggy get away with anything.  As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Buffy will be getting home-cooked food (made specially for a diabetic diet) and lots of attention.  We're going to make sure all of her friends in the neighborhood have a chance to come over and say goodbye.  We'll take her on 'adventures' to the forest preserve and other spots she enjoys, to the extent that she can tolerate the exercise.  She will be loved and cherished until the end.

As hard as this is for me, it's a hundred times harder for DH.  He and Buffy have bonded so closely I don't know if one can survive without the other.  

• Sad 4

So tough. Been there a few times and it's never easy. My heart goes out to you and your DH . I hope Buffy's remaining life on earth is filled with adventures, joy, treats and when the time comes, that she is sent on her new journey to be with Jock and Sandie and all that crossed over. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

i am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. i know where you are. i really feel for you. but time will slow down a bit for you. every day precious. 

• Like 2

No, this is so unfair. From diabetes to cancer. I am heartbroken. Never having met Buffy, but I feel like I know her as well as I do Sassy. This is just crushing news. I will pray for her and your family. Hope you all have lots of fun times together.

Dave and Sassy

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

7 hours ago, remltr said:

No, this is so unfair. From diabetes to cancer. I am heartbroken. Never having met Buffy, but I feel like I know her as well as I do Sassy. This is just crushing news. I will pray for her and your family. Hope you all have lots of fun times together.

Dave and Sassy

I agree, Dave. She's only 9-10 years old and I thought we'd have much more time together.  

She's still getting her strength back but his morning she went on the longest walk she's had since the surgery, which is encouraging.  Even flushed a rabbit, God bless her.  

• Like 4

I am so sorry to hear of your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Over the years I have lost three dogs to cancer.  Abby (8 years old, lung cancer) Teddy, 14 years old (mast cell tumor) and Brody, (bladder cancer) Brody had no symptoms until 2 weeks before he left us.  But looking back there were also subtle signs.  Like one day he snapped at our cat which he never did and his coat just did not have the same luster, but at that time our vet couldn't find anything wrong, even though I knew something wasn't right. I hope you get the 11 months and maybe more.

• Like 2

It's very tough, these little cairns really get into your heart. I had one for 16 years- Tali who was up and down for the last year or so of her life. We were sent home one weekend with the thought from the vet,  That she probably wouldn't last the weekend -but we were really lucky - we had her for another 16 months. 

It is great you are going to do all of her favorite things, added with lots and love and attention - it is exactly what you and your husband and she needs .

• Like 2

Prayers for your whole family. Keep on loving and spoiling her as much as possble. We hope for the longest time and for this time to be happy, and normal as possible. Love to all of youl It is never easy

• Like 2

:cry:Oh Buffy not good to hear this news. BUT we know what a great and loving home you are in. We know your remaining time will be full of love and care.:hug:to you and your family.

• Like 3

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.  They mean the world to me.

Today was a great day for Buffy.  I think the increased insulin dosage is what she needed.  She went on two full walks today and a shorter walk this evening, and then wanted to *play* after dinner!  Right now she's working on de-squeakerizing a toy.   Odds are 10-1 in Buffy's favor that the toy is destroyed soon.

• Like 3

Go for it Buffy! Show us uprights how to live each day in blessed zeal, to welcome each morning as a miracle. Dogs just know how to do all these things.:wub:

IMG_0194.JPG

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Not sure if you remember, but we lost Packy to Hemangiosarcoma last August.  We had about 3 months from diagnosis.  I love that you're taking her on adventures; one of the things we resolved with Packy was to "let him be the dog he wants to be," so we let him swim and fish, take walks and hunt for mice as much as he wanted instead of coddling him.  

Cherish the time you have.  We'll be thinking of you...

• Like 7
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We went to the forest preserve this morning.  The weather is perfect; a little cool but sunny.  Here's Buffy with her dad, taking a break on the path (a little wet from a dip in the pond), and another of her sitting in the back seat on the way home.

buffy & dad 081317.jpg

buffy in car 081317.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kjwarnold said:

Not sure if you remember, but we lost Packy to Hemangiosarcoma last August.  

Yes I do.  It's a nasty, sneaky cancer, isn't it?  I hate to ask you this but what did you see in his last days?  Did he decline gradually over a few days or was it sudden.

One veterinary article I read online suggested euthanasia before the decline even begins, but that is simply appalling to me.

Helene all I can say with my previous experience of dogs with cancer. You will know. You just will know when it's time.:shy:

• Like 2

my redmon's brain tumor was not cancerous, but it was known that it would kill him within some space of months. his treatment was expected to buy 12 -14 months, but in fact was just about 11 months. the wonderful thing about the treatments was that they made him well. 3 months in, i had to remind myself every day of what the larger picture was.

the doctors were thrilled to have any treatment at all (which i understand), and said many times that given the optimum length of a dog's life, adding months or even close to a year was a major achievement for the dog --like adding a year or several years to a human's life. very logical but not at all a comfort to the dog's human companion.

the only gift i discovered, which was a real one, was that it makes you determined to make every day count, to memorize every single thing about your dog, and to live a quality of life you might otherwise never approach. cairns, of course, read people with uncanny accuracy, and they join in the exercise with all seriousness. 

buffy looks good. she is probably going to surprise you a bit. precious girl. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 5

Buffy doesn't know her time is limited. She will go on being bright and beautiful. When the time comes she can't manage any more she will let you know. And in your heart you will know also.

In the meantime go have fun!

• Like 4

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and good wishes.  I'm sure I will know when the time comes but I've never felt quite this helpless before.

• Like 1

helplessness is a very good description. we are responsible for our little people's world, and we feel responsible when we can't fix these things. the power you have is to make every day meaningful. i realized some time ago that if redmon had lived the longest of long cairn lives, he would still be gone today. he lived a proper life, as buffy has, and the loss was mine, not his. 

it is always a question which is better, the long period of knowing your pet (or loved human, or yourself) has limited time, or a sudden and unexpected end. the 'terminal" period is painful while it is happening, but if we do it right, which have the power to do, the longer period afterward is easier. my teddy went suddenly, unexpectedly, and for reasons nobody knows today. there was no suffering for either of us before, but it is extremely difficult afterward. some more time together, is a blessing, even if a difficult one. 

• Like 6