CairnTalk

When to spay?

Betsy Leiss

My girl is five months old now. The vet recommends spaying her now, the breeder says wait til after her first heat. 

What does this forum advise?

Thanks for any help!

We used to spay early but have changed our thinking over the years and now prefer to wait until about 18-24 months for spay or neuter.  You really *really* need to commit to being warden of your girl's chastity though. Nature is both powerful and sneaky. 

There are a number of good articles on the subject. Here's one:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/health-risks-of-early-spay-neuter/

With virtually *everything* dog-related you will find opposite but strongly-held opinions on every issue (kibble vs raw, plastic crate vs wire, R+ vs mixed-mode training, etc.).  For example with the early vs late spay there seem to be risks and benefits of both, the "best" path may be the one that best satisfies your risk/benefit comfort zone. Ours has shifted to "later" but I don't judge those who choose "earlier."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Wow! Frankly, these look like horrible choices to me.:o The list of serious potential drawbacks to early neutering almost sounds like one of those ridiculous disclaimer parts of TV commercials for some OTC or prescription meds. I'm glad I don't need to make such a decision for my dog, but I would be very troubled if I did.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank you both very much. As bradl says, I've read conflicting information. My first Kerry was a social, non-aggressive puppy until I had her spayed prior to her first heat. It was like flipping a switch: she became fiercely aggressive. My second Kerry was spayed subsequent to her first litter. She was gentle and passive. Maybe it's a coincidence. But maybe not. They both died of toe cancer. I read an article by Stanley Coren a while back saying there's new evidence to recommend later spaying may be beneficial, but not enough clinical testing done on the subject to persuade most veterinarians. Thanks so much for your input. 

• Like 1

Account Deleted

My breeder  recommended between six months and year for my Otis .

He's getting his stitches out tomorrow, I cannot wait 12 days is a long time, between the cone and and us not walking 2 miles a day thank goodness we can start our normal routine soon. As you all know without exercise this means a walk daily, they can be a little obnoxious?  Otis was almost 7 months when he was neutered .

Edited by Account Deleted

Rocky was neutered at 7 months. We were going to wait longer but he had started marking his territory in the house.  He stopped this after neutering thank goodness. We did not want to take a chance on Gus doing the same so he was neutered at 6 months.

Angus was neutered at just over six months. Same with my previous dogs/bitches - of different breeds. No problems for any of them physical or mental. I didn't want to risk unwanted puppies entering the world. A dog can scent a bitch in heat up to two miles away. Amazing how they can find a way to get together. And amazing how sweet little darlings can change when hormones are raging.

That said, every dog and every situation is different. Just go with your best feeling for you and your dog.

• Like 1

Account Deleted

Otis had his stitches out on Monday .  So far so good, the only marking he did was on the trees when we walked.  I switched him to nexguard  as he had a reaction to his 6 month collar,  when they shaved him .   I haven't noticed any difference yet and but it is early. We are back to a 2 mile walk a day, even though I have to get him out of bed to go!  Once we are walking he's fine .  But like you said it's up to the individual, and I'm glad I did it when I did because I never want to go through this again ! 

Thanks to all! And I'm glad to hear Otis is doing better. Fortunately, I still have some time to consider. Your input helps.

Edited by Betsy Leiss

Account Deleted

It's been three weeks and I haven't noticed any change at all in him ,  every dog different and every owner is different that's what makes us unique .

Edited by Account Deleted

• 1 year later...

I am facing this dilemma now, myself.  I think I see the value in neutering -- the Dog Trainer says two intact males cannot survive together, and advises Toto be neutered now, at 6 1/2 months.  Prior to the trainer's recommendation, the vet said 7 months, which is just around the corner. I can see the argument each has made.

My own personal preference might be to wait until after at least the one year mark, but I base that 'leaning' on growth patterns, and maturation of bones, possibly a reduction in prostate issues.  With so much conflicting advice, medical input, how is one to know, exactly, what is best?

Guest dog person

Hope this helps:

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2018/11/new-report-on-complication-rates-for-neutering-surgery-in-dogs-and-cats/

And   http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2013/04/benefits-and-risks-of-neutering-an-evidence-based-approach/

Toto If you search this site [neutering] not to long ago this topic was discussed in length with varies options and opinions...all a personal decisions . Many different opinions in the veterinary circle. You just have to do what you feel comfortable with . I chose to keep Sam intact.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I read the other posts, and used the links to the articles.  Thanks for sharing -- it all still makes me scratch my head.  I will probably have to neuter my Toto, as the other male dog is not, and he's an 85-lb.  Weimaraner.  The Dog Trainer has me convinced the two will end up in a skirmish, but you know, Rupert will be 8 years old this month, and he has shown absolutely NO male tendencies.  Toto, has already started trying to hump the other dog, and me, but I understand this is a 'dominance' thing more than sexual.

I am just hesitant to have two UNneutered males in the house, together.