CairnTalk

A delicate question

Sam I Am

So Sam is just over 15 weeks now and is definitely showing what I think are sexual advances towards Rosie. Sniffing girlie equipment, trying to hump her (anywhere will do in his mind) and generally driving her a bit crazy.  His testicals haven't appeared yet (hence the "peas"). I don't remember Jock being so ...for a better word passionate (lol) towards our other Scottie, Sandie.  Would love to hear other Experiences. When do dogs become sexually active and or interested.? Or do I have MR Valentine :P ?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

Never have having a male Cairn I have no direct experience with the behavior you describe from a boy dog but if it is any consolation, I have seen female Cairns do a fine imitation of "dry humping" other dogs--that particular act is associated with canine dominance as well as reproductive drive.
Unless the male is neutered, that behavior is liable to continue--it is as natural as the driven snow in January-- boys will be boys you know.

• Like 1

Ha ha Chuck I knew you would be brave enough to supply some answers!

In Sam's case pretty sure it isn't dominance as Rosie is definitely the queen bee and has told him in no uncertain terms a few time.....much howling and ungodly sounds from a terrified Sam! And me having a heart attack! Sam will definitely have his "peas" removed at around 6-7 months. I   Remember when Jock was neutered at 6 months, his testicles were so tiny, that I even wondered if he had any. Perhaps that's why he tried to prove he was a real boy by dating Ms Ball all his life.:D

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We have the same situation here.....anybody, anywhere, anytime. It certainly isn't a dominance thing- it's a horny teenager here - Tewcsby is 17 months old. Our plan is to have him neutered in a month or so- we've heard various reports on when- we decided on 18months based on lots of discussions with other dog owners, trainers and vets.

It will be good for him too, sometimes it's embarrassing  when he meets another dog at doggy playtime and we find there are times when he's all wound up about it. We've had to leave the playtime- the other owners don't always appreciate it.

i know it's even harder having another dog in the house.... We don't have that problem, but he does really push to go out....

Without a doubt it's "Normal", but it's not always fun for the owners.

Phinney was neutered at 8 months and while he did his share of humping on Kirby (male), Kirby just humped him right back.  Kirby is a 9 yr. old neutered male, so it's not that we had two things intact boys going at it.  My opinion is that Phinney was just doing the normal puppy behavior and Kirby was just being his own weirdo self.  I swear he never grew up!  ?   Yeah, it's embarrassing if you're in public but you can usually distract them.  I assume Rosie lets him know when she's had enough.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

My two boys (Both neutered) Rocky 18 months, and Gus 6 months both hump each other. I think this is just normal behavior, but we try and discourage it anyway. Good luck with that!:lol:

I have 2 girl Cairns that do the humping thing on my 2 human sons legs or arms or whatever they can get hold of. Both have been spayed. Have no idea why they do this but they no I don't approve, if I walk into the room while they are attempting it they hang their heads and stop when they see me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/2/2017 at 5:05 PM, Terrier lover said:

I   Remember when Jock was neutered at 6 months, his testicles were so tiny, that I even wondered if he had any. Perhaps that's why he tried to prove he was a real boy by dating Ms Ball all his life.:D

Fond memories.  Jock's attraction to Ms. Ball was legendary.:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmmm... I think I know the "Ms. Ball" who held such an irresistible attraction for Jock, but I'm not sure - and I don't want to embarrass myself with a wrong guess.? Can anyone dig up an old photo or video?

• Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!