CairnTalk

The hole

Dempsy's Mom

I have been thinking of you all but everything has been on the back burner for the last month or so.  We hardly ever get off the farm and when we do it is a pain to have to drive home late in the dark.  So I have been on a mission for the last couple of years - looking for a house in Watertown that is within my price range.  No luck.  So since there is no house I decided I would purchase my next dog friendly car.  Love it. .... now remember we are in a drought.  Money is tight. I know this. 

Jim and I have never had a toy.  Everything we have is work related - a couple of weeks ago this pontoon came up and so we bought it - not without issues. ... Ok we are moving through life. Having fun, right?  Then, after I have depleted my savings, the real estate agent pops me a picture of this house.  I was out picking up road ditch bales and just happened to look at it - right away I knew that was it.  I told him I need to see it tonight.  So Jim and I ran off to see this little house built in 1959 - it was pristine.  Perfect.  So to the bank I go and now I am in debt big time. It has been quite stressful.  Anyway that's why I have been neglecting cairn talk and the dogs.

So when Jim and I ran off to look at this house.  Elsie was pissed.  She had had it!  Pushed to her limits.  I haven't been taking her with me in the new car - partially because it was to hot and partially because I was selfish.  I have been leaving them home quite a bit.  When we returned from our house hunt that evening everything was pretty quiet.  Hmmm.  Where are the dogs?  I settled in and then went into the TV room.  What the hell!!  I have a good sized hole in the carpet.  Carpet padding and shreds of carpet fibers all over the room.  I couldn't believe it.  Never had either of the dogs ever been this destructive.  I know it was Elsie, because that is where she lies.  Neither of the dogs fessed up.  I could not yell at them - I was just stunned - this hole is now my future - it is done - I knelt down and gathered the padding and shreds of carpet fiber.  Neither of the dogs came into the room.  So .... trust is broken on both sides.  Lesson:  Don't piss off a cairn. :evil:

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Yes they have a way of letting you know that you haven't treated them in the manner they feel they should be treated.:P

Are you moving from the farm? I had a peek at real estate ...wow love the older homes and the prices are amazing. Here in Alberta the prices would easily be 4x higher. Lucky you!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

My goodness you've had a lot going on!  I guess Elsie wanted to bring you back to reality, what with all the house-buying and boat-buying.  Sorry about your carpet . . . but it's just a carpet.  You still have Jim and Elsie and Dempsy and life is good. :)

Idaho Cairns

My girls would love a pontoon boat!  As gaga as they are about water I'm sure they would be happy campers--maybe you should have pacified Elsie with a boat ride before the those hours away???

they know what you're up to. what to know why you didn't discuss it with them. what are you hiding, etc. i'm sure you can make it up with them. 

Agree with all the comments.

No we are not moving off the farm but I am trying to transition Jim into spending time off the farm.  A lot of our neighbors have lake cabins - expensive and taxes are high - so I thought why not just a small house in town. The town is about 35 miles away. I have been waiting for the right one and I hope I have found it.  It's hard to get a farmer to relax and Jim is 69 and works way to hard.  If it fails I guess I just sell the house, but at least I gave it a shot.

Today is the first time we have had the pontoon boat in the water.  It floats.  I took Elsie along.  Dempsy will either love it or hate it - there will be no in-between with him.  Elsie adjusted real well.  She was our mascot in the front of the boat.  She liked it best when we had some speed.  We turned the boat off, coasted and grilled some brats and Elsie enjoyed an entire brat. After 5 hours on the water she was tired and slept heavily on my lap on the way home.  I think the pontoon was a good move.  Can't wait to see how Demps reacts.  

• Like 7

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Yes - we live in a gas station, which I like, but if something would to happen to Jim there is no way I can handle this big ole' farm. So it gives me a place to go and it's attempting to transition Jim into retirement mode.  He is in agreement with the purchase and I am hoping we can have some fun with it.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :mellow:

• Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Farming is hard work and most farmers I know rarely take time off.  I mean, besides being compulsive workers, who can they trust to handle all the work that needs to be done on a daily basis?  I'm glad you're thinking ahead and Jim is willing to give relaxation a try.  Now, making these changes with Dempsey and Elsie's approval might be harder!  Good luck!

P.S.   Kirby says go faster in the pontoon boat!

• Like 3
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

all those lovely civil-war era brick-and-trim towns in ohio were built by farmers who lived miles out of town. they built them for their transitions out of farming into old age (that would be after about 42 back then), when the farm would either go to the kids or be sold to neighbors. not everybody could do it but enough did it for those towns to sprout up all over, still standing today. good things can come out the country. 

• Like 2

Idaho Cairns

Lori, you are confusing me!  "Gas station"?   Still it's neat you are moving to town, we'll get to share the adventures of Demps and Elsie as the country bumpkins come to the big city!  I'm sure they will have some things to say in the neighborhood!

45 minutes ago, Idaho Cairns said:

Still it's neat you are moving to town, we'll get to share the adventures of Demps and Elsie as the country bumpkins come to the big city!  I'm sure they will have some things to say in the neighborhood!

Interesting point, Chuck.  Wonder how Demps and Elsie will transition to city life.  

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

They are Cairns and, if anything, Cairns are adaptable, goers with the flow, ready teddies, and up to any challenge.  They will be running the neighborhood in three weeks or less.

• Like 2

Yes Chuck.  Gas station converted into a house.  Jim's father landed her in the 1950's and he had a blacksmith shop and a gas station/grocery store.

Yes, it will be interesting for Demps and Elsie.  My next door neighbor has a black lab.  The people I am buying the house from says they never let him out of his kennel. Ugh - that's gonna drive me nuts.  I hate that when people have their dogs penned up all the time.  Now keep in mind this is like a second home - we will still be here on the farm so when things settle down a bit I should have some interesting stories.

• Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Just love all of your adventures on the farm.  Demps and Elsie will love a change of  pace in town and then will be so ready to return to the FARM

• Like 1