CairnTalk

First Stripping

Betsy Leiss

Hi! When do you strip the coat for the first time? My Cairn is four months old. And incredibly cute. I brush her every day, in an effort for her to develop good "table manners". She's pretty squirmy, though! Thanks!

I'd say you could start stripping her now.  Our Cairns have all been ready for stripping at around 3 months.  Just start slowly and do it little at a time.  I wouldn't start on sensitive areas (belly, legs, face), try starting on the back.  For me at least, even my most fussy dogs don't mind that.  If your dog doesn't mind it, just keep going.  

I always think they look like they're molting when I first start stripping them.  ?   I just stripped Phinney "down to his underpants" for the second time.  He's a year old this week; his first full stripping was at 3 1/2 months.  I did partial stripping in between.

Good luck and have fun with your little girl!

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

There are tons of good posts here on stripping, too.  Just search hand stripping and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info.  Good luck!

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Kelly was about 17 weeks when I stripped her the first time. The first time is easy. You only strip the puppy layer off. There is relatively little fur to strip. If your pup is a wheaten or red that makes it even easier because the puppy layer is usually black.

• Like 4

Thank you so much! Yes, she's Wheaton, and the old coat is black. I've always had Kerry blue terriers, and I learned how to groom them. They have a totally different coat than a cairn, though, you don't strip them. I'll admit I'm a little nervous! I don't want to traumatize my puppy! 

IMG_20170723_194144_kindlephoto-39959698.jpg

• Like 1

The good news is that coat that is ready to come out comes out very easily. Take just a few hairs at a time, go slow, reward often (but be firm that it IS going to happen) and there will be no trauma.

That's not to say she won't have an opinion and freely express it :P 

• Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks! Recently, she's been getting aggressive when I pick her up. She'll give me a pretty ferocious bark for such a little mite! I tell her, firmly, to mind her manners. Then she'lI lick my face, and I'll tell her how wonderful she is. I read that puppies often go through this "phase".  Is this common with Cairns? I love the terrier spunk, but she can get over this phase in a hurry, please.

Ha ha ... the phase:evil: is a life time! 

• Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

You guys are killing me! I love the terrier independent spirit. I don't want an obsequious dog, but do want an obedient one. She'll turn into a canine Napoleon if I let her!  She's at her cutest when she's doing something devilish. 

They learn faster than any other dog I've ever known. After that  well - as said above - they hear what they want to hear - and bye the way - size has nothing to do with it!:D 

• Like 2

She's already learned the basics; definitely smart! And she always hears the word "treat", so that's good. The small size does come in handy as far as controlling her goes. I had to struggle with a very aggressive 40 pound Kerry at times. I wonder what smaller people with Airedales  do when their dogs have an attack of terrier independence? I'm only 5' tall, and I wanted an Airedale (this was about 25 years ago). A friend who played college football, and always had Airedales, talked me into getting the smaller, more manageable Kerry Blue. And now that I'm in my 60's, I wanted an even smaller terrier. I fell madly in love with her immediately. But I have a lot to learn about this breed. This group has been very helpful for me. I made mistakes with my first terrier which resulted in an insanely aggressive dog. She loved people and was so gentle with children, but she wanted to kill everything else. I think she was happy with her people pack, but it would have been great for her to play with her own kind. My second Kerry was very social. And we brought our Cairn into a home with a wonderful Amstaff in it already. They get along great! Because I've so much to learn about Cairns, I appreciate any and all advice given here.

• Thanks 1

Kieiras mom: I had to read your post several times because you left out the noun that was supposed to come after the adjective "bossy".  So I'll have to guess the noun is "personality" or "character". I hope I'm guessing wrong. I came to this site looking for friends. I have a lot of terrier experience, just not Cairn specifically. I was so excited to find this group, hoping to learn more about the wonderful puppy I just got after losing my own much beloved dog. I still cry every day over that dog; I just couldn't replace her with another Kerry. I wanted something different so there would be no comparisons. I've 're-read my posts and don't see anything opinionated or bossy. I just see someone looking for help.

I sincerely doubt that any offense was intended. I parsed that sentence as intending: "You will be so glad you have an opinionated, bossy dog with selective hearing, because that is the Cairn to  a tee!"

• Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I agree with Brad. No offense was intended. It was just meant as a light hearted, tongue in cheek characterization of the cairn persona! (I think the missing word might have thrown you off). Our little bundles of personality have forced most of us to develop a wry sense of humor!? One of the perks of having a cairn!

Trust me... You will get the help and advice you seek, from the good-hearted members of this forum.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ditto On Brads and Sandords posts. I always chuckle as do my friends when I "speak" into my iPhone when leaving a text (my thumbs are actually all thumbs)  because the silly phone often construes my voice and when I look back and read what I have sent, it's just plain funny, embarrassing and silly. KM would  never intentionally offend. We all love our Cairns and wish nothing but the best for them and their owners.:D

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all for providing me with an alternate explanation that makes me glad I came here. ?

I have started plucking! She puts up with it until she doesn't want to put up with it. So it's gonna take awhile. That's okay, I'm retired; I've got time!

IMG_20170704_074021_kindlephoto-10039695.jpg

Edited by Betsy Leiss
  • Like 5

Account Deleted

Well let me tell you about being a brat,  stubborn and bossy that's my Otis to a T?He's almost 7 months old now, and he's going through that horrible spurt of rebellion.  I am constantly chasing him around the kitchen just to get his leash on him and he thinks it's funny!  Since he is getting his stitches out tomorrow we haven't been  walking 2 miles a day, I cannot wait to start because he needs to be tired out !!!   Needless to say I love him to death,  and being all Italian I have the same traits ??

Edited by Account Deleted
  • Haha 3