CairnTalk

Cairn tail

Betsy Leiss

My Cairn puppy is 13 weeks old. Her tail rarely goes higher than "half mast". Shouldn't it be erect more often? Will it stand taller as she grows up?

Thank you!

Idaho Cairns

If she is typical, yes it will.  Not to worry, she'll probably get in "the stance" sooner than later.

• Like 1

I had Kerry Blues as a kid, now I have "downsized" to a Cairn! Good decision. 

Hardly ever see Kerry Blues but I get kind of excited when I do.

• Like 1

Kerrie are wonderful, and a good choice for children. I loved my Kerries, but this amazing little Cairn has stolen my heart!

Edited by Betsy Leiss
Grammar correction
  • Like 4

Lynn, did I get back to you about where I live in TN? In case I didn't, we're in Sharps Chapel, north of Knoxville. Love it here!

Edited by Betsy Leiss
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well, my Berneen is at 9-1/2 months now, and her tail still is at half mast. She's a precious little girl, but I admit to disappointment about the tail. Once in a great while it stands at full attention, but that's it. She will wag it like mad when it's pointed to the floor!

I agree, Betsy,  the tail displays a lot of attitude! With Ruffy, it depends on his mood... Tail erect when playing, hunting and when we set out for our walks. However, when we are returning home, his pace slows and his tail is always at half-mast or lower😟!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Reminds me of when Nikki was young. He used to curl his tail tip toward his tush when he was doing zoomies. It looked like a tea cup handle! Lol I always wondered if he learned that trick when he was a puppy and he was merrily leading litter mates on chases and keeping them from nipping his tail? He has not curled it like that in years, but he has a little roll of fat right above the base of his tail now and long hair that he did not have when he was younger, so maybe physical changes made him carry it straighter. I don’t know.  He’s still pretty spry and spunky, and full of opinions on everything. XD 

• Like 1