CairnTalk

Sunday is the day

Sam I Am

Idaho Cairns

Lynn, he is beautiful!  Be patient with your older girl, I bet she comes around quickly once she discovers that she has found a like mind to commune with.  In my experience it doesn't take terriers  long to bond.  Love the color of your little Sam--just wonderful--envying you tonight.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 2

Awe he is adorable. I am glad they are doing well together. They will be the best of friends. Thinking of you and how nice it would be to have a pup in the house again.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the wonderful encouraging remarks. It's 10:00 pm now and after over 20 minutes of Rosie playing with the kid outside at top speed, I bid you all good night!  It was a most wonderful evening . The house has been to long without a Cairn. What ever would I do without all my Cairn friends. :wub:

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Trouble trouble......

sleep...no I don't need to sleep.:P

IMG_0113.JPG

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 7

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Is he playing with the broom or eating the crumbs that have been swept up? lol

Kelly is 6 and still does both. lol  You gotta love em. I have the worst time trying to seep at my house. :P

Is there another breed thats as much fun as a Cairn?

He is absolutely gorgeous! I do hope everything mellows in a few days. But enjoy all your crazy cairn "firsts" - from such you will have stories to tell throughout Sam's life...

Thank you, Lynn. We are encouraged as we approach the addition on our little girl to the family! Hope Rosie and Sam's relationship will just get better and better. 

We are having sporadic aggression from Rosie , which scares the heck out of me. As she is highly food driven  even a hint of food being around makes her go for SAM in a very scary way. We are very careful to feed and give treats away from each other. I hope time will bring less aggression. He is so sweet and so is Rosie so hopefully she will in time calm down a bit.love them both.:wub:  At the moment I keep a close eye on them when together.

They will work it out. Just go slow and easy and keep them apart when food is around like you are doing. Sam has his very nice pen so well set up and secure. Rosie needs time to adjust to the fact that someone else wants and needs to eat also!! Be patient - it may take a while. You know terriers!

• Like 1

Don't let fear enter the picture. Give them a couple of weeks to adjust and if it doesn't improve hand feed them one bite at a time together but not from the same hand. Its going to be fine. Keep calm and don't let them smell the fear.

Just being honest here, there were times when Kelly was a pup I thought that I was insane for wanting a pup, now I miss some of the things that made me think I was insane for getting her.

Then we got Prissy from the rescue and I had the same thoughts even though she was an older dog.

I can't imagine not having either one of them.

Rosie will settle down. You have raised her well. Sam will be alright too. Im loving hearing about them. :wub:

• Like 4

I know all will be ok, but it's so good to hear from all of you that it will.  I love them both so dearly . Sam is lying on the couch with me now and Rosie on a cushion on the floor. Terriers gotta love them! 

I am so amazed about using the clicker training method with SAM. When we go outside and he goes potty, he looks up at me waiting for the click and a treat. He hasn't made one potty inside in the last 24 hrs. He already comes when he is called when  i click then sits down in front of me waiting  for his treat. He is also to smart for his own good lol. We had to cover the xpen with cardboard because within hrs he realized that if he jumped up on his crate he could then launch himself out of the pen!

I must apologize for sounding like a proud mum but I must admit I am . How amazing that this little creature has walked in the house and totally stolen my heart. There is nothing sweeter than a baby Cairn, well also a Scottie puppy that 5 yrs ago did the same.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 7

So to continue the mummy blog.

Very good morning, both dogs playing and having a good time in the kitchen. For sure Sam is going to be a Cairn Terrier(ist). Full of fearless bravado with Rosie, but she is also learning that this kid will run her ragged and knows to put him in his place .  Sams breeder was telling me that her stud dog pins the puppies and growls and snarls while the pups scream in terror. Nothing happens but they know they have gone to far.

Watching  the interaction of dog behaviour is fascinating .This morning is a good morning. :D

• Like 8

Idaho Cairns

Lynn, sounds like you are getting the "first semester" of Cairn puppy 101 which is a great thing.  Make sure you get plenty of pictures and videos to remember these tumultuous first days--they pass so quickly into routine.

• Like 1

I saw the Sam sleeping picture and decided to take a nap myself. Would be nice to have a puppy to curl up to, breathing puppy breath in my face. :wub:

I am loving reading your mummy blog, except that now I am really, really, really, wanting a Cairn puppy. Love the way they come in, such wee little pups and turn the place upside down and steal your heart immediately.

hint hint a video of him playing would be absolutely AWESOME! :lol:

• Like 3

I confess that I need help.  I am becoming obsessed with Sam and the other pups, checking the forum every hour for news.  Is there a CairnPuppy Anonymous organization?

• Like 8

Mummy blog continued.

So another good morning after yesterday evening of howling and crying last night for at least an hour. I must be getting better at motherhood. I actually ignored it and went to sleep. Although I swear a different pitch wakes me up immediately.  

A few OMG moments yesterday. Sam chewing on something...thank goodness only a tums. Then, oh Lordy what is in his mouth now....a quarter!  Babies. A full time job...except of course the four legged ones grow up in the blink of an eye. Rosie and Sam play rough..really rough. I am actually encouraging Rosie to get tougher with Sam as he won't back down from a twenty pound Scottie.  He is trying to hump her a fair bit of the time which does not please her, so usually a body block which sends the kid flying takes care of that. After 1/2 an hour of incredible rough housing he collapses into his kitchen bed, and is dead to the world. Rosie is now lying by my chair and eating part of my peanut butter and toast. The dumpling is going to get very fit with all the running and playing, so toast and P as a small snack is ok. Peace at last this morning...for at least a little while. :thumbsup:

• Like 8

Haha they do try to eat everything.  Can't count the times I've pulled Little Rock's, bark, wood, plastic from Pepper's mouth.  How do they find it all?  Sam is super cute, love the little black face.

• Like 1

Chuck...no. :P

Must admit he is an awesome puppy. 

IMG_0173.JPG

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 4