CairnTalk

Malcolm tries to steal dinner again

Malcolm's Dad

Malcolm likes to steal food from the table. He watches me when I eat. In the past he would get up on the chair and help himself from the plate if I get up from the chair. He is such a clever dog. I've learned to take the plate and put it on the kitchen counter which is too high for Malcolm to get to when I get up from the table. Tonight I had hot dogs. A tempting plate of hot dogs for Malcolm. I got up to get some water and then thought this is a mistake. I turned around and there was Malcolm leaping onto the kitchen chair. I grabbed the plate and got it in time before Malcolm got to it. Wish I had the camera. You should see the look on his face. A stink eye that said you just took my snack. Oh well too bad Malcolm that was my dinner not yours.

• Like 8

I am thinking Malcolm is one smart Cairn! :P

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

My neighbor has a Great Dane named Finnegan who reached right over and took a steak right out of the frying pan on the stove!:w00t: No chair needed! Can you imagine what life would be like if cairns were the size of Great Danes? They would take over the world!

One time I casually tossed my shirt on the bed, forgetting that I left some Charlee Bear treats in the pocket. Later discovered Ruffy peacefully asleep with a hole gnawed right through the pocket! ... My fault - not his!?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

clearly never a dull moment in malcolm's house. my redmon was also a very resourceful thief, and quick as lightening. i also learned to carry around plates of unfinished food, put away any utensils or bits of food not in use, and put the butter dish in the refrigerator (he could snatch items within 6 or 8 inches of the counter edge and once chewed an entire butter dish and cover into tiny fragments after the butter had been dispatched). kitchen chairs either had to be pushed entirely, backs flush with the table top, or moved so far away from the table that they couldn't provide a platform for getting on and utterly destroying everything on the table . they never seem to get full, and they never run out of ideas for stealing any little morsel of anything. you'd think they were living in a state of constant starvation.

• Like 6

Nice try Malcolm but you couldn't outsmart your dad. ;) Did he give you a small bit of hot dog for your effort?

• Like 2

Same happened to me sanford . Charlee treats were always in one or other of my pockets. One day I left a jacket hung over back of chair and went off to do something. Did not notice anything different till I put jacket on later and found hole in pocket with all the treats gone. Angus had left the jacket so neat and nice - no-one would ever know a thief had been there.

• Like 3

We really have to watch Titan's intake. He's got an appetite of biblical proportions. Always hungry, never full, eyes on the clock waiting for his supper. He starts barking for supper starting around 3PM and that goes on until we put him outside where he does one quick perimeter check. Then it's back to barking by the door, hoping he can wear us down to feeding him early.

I think Cairns as a breed are prone to weight gain. We've friends who let theirs get so overweight that I think led to a premature death. Titan stays healthy at around 18-19 lbs, but it takes a lot of work and determination on our part to keep him at that weight. 

• Like 2

hheldorfer no Malcolm didn't get any hot dog. I don't want to encourage him eating people food. If I did I might find him going through the refrigerator one day.

• Like 3

Oh my, these are all such amusing and familiar stories. Wally and I just had a visit from a friend who to this day calls him "Muffin Stealer" for the time he brazenly snatched a muffin right out of her hands as she was eating it, dashed behind the couch where he couldn't be reached, then gulped it down -- all in a fraction of a second. And to think he had looked so sweetly adorable as he was plotting his crime...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cara L said:

Oh my, these are all such amusing and familiar stories. Wally and I just had a visit from a friend who to this day calls him "Muffin Stealer" for the time he brazenly snatched a muffin right out of her hands as she was eating it, dashed behind the couch where he couldn't be reached, then gulped it down -- all in a fraction of a second. And to think he had looked so sweetly adorable as he was plotting his crime...

So typical.  "What muffin??  I didn't see a muffin.  Nope, no muffin around here!"

• Like 2

I have WARNED people to not leave their dining chairs out when they get up - need to push them under the table.  Pepper is a thief and a mountain goat and can hop up and grab the food!  PIus she is quiet as a mouse when she sees an opportunity....

Pepper's Mom

Laughing so hard at these stories. Reminded me of a few I actually got on camera when Kelly was very young. She still is a very good thief. She loves the garden. haha

And when she was a wee pup

• Like 5