CairnTalk

Max - The Wonder Dog - 2004-2017

gd4

Our beloved, Max, who has been such a good and tough boy will be joining his friends at the Rainbow Bridge today. We have decided to make the best and tough decision after a long, progressive disease experienced last October.

Prayers for comfort and strength are most needed today.

Gina

18485372_10155354396131118_8872631005215347957_n-1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm very sorry to hear about Max.  

From his picture it looks like he lived a active life.  You didn't let anything keep him down.  

Thank you for being a good dog mommy.

• Like 1

I pray that you will take comfort and strength in the knowledge that you gave Max a wonderful, happy and secure life! Thank you for your kindness and devotion to Max.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

so sorry to hear this. all of you did the right thing at the right time, and max knows he won the jackpot. cairns are always game to the end. very sad for you, but be proud.

• Like 2

Thank you, all. Our hearts are breaking of course, but I understand that there is never a good time to say goodbye to a friend. :(

You had Max's love for many years, which will always be one of the great joys of your life.  Blessing to him and to you.  You and yours will be in everyone's thoughts today.

• Like 1

You are right Gina there never is a good time to say goodbye, but being a loving and caring person there is a right time to say goodbye. You gave him a great life and now you have given him a peaceful pain free one. So heart breaking ...we all know how it feels, but that's what loving an animal brings, and there is such dignity in that.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

So sorry for loss.

Just imagine the picture of Max now without his wheel assist. He is running around and chasing rabbits forever under his own power.

Go get 'em Max!!!

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Thank you, Terrier lover and remltr. We went through this tonight and our hearts are broken. I had forgotten since our last pup 14 years ago, just how difficult this is to go through. We stayed with him till the end. I think as we grow older, it is harder. When we were younger, it seems we didn't get so torn up. My heart hurts tonight. Even though we know he was so tired, it never seems right..., :(

Edited by gd4
  • Like 1

So true.

IMG_0154.JPG

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Prayers and love for you and husband.zMax gave much love for years.you all returned love to him slso

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Wish  there were words that could truly comfort the loss of a fine dog but there aren't--perhaps the sharing can ease some of the grief.  I understand and I really care about pain you are feeling and I hope tomorrow will be a bit brighter for you and your family.  Try to focus on the joy Max brought to you for all those years, the smiles, the laughs, the sharing,  the love, let the loss take a back seat to the wonderful memories. 

• Like 1

So very sorry - breaks my heart - these little guys just snuggle into your heart and never let go...

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

So sorry to hear about Max. It seems he let you know when he was ready...we ourselves will never be ready for goodbye....

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns, Pepper Bug's Mom and Islander, thank you so much for your kind words and support. It is an incredibly tough decision but one I feel we made with love for our boy --- not ourselves. In the past, we waited too long albeit, at the suffering of the pup to appease ourselves. As I told my husband who is taking this so hard, we did all the right things for Max and he deserved the best. A loyal and tough companion. :( Gina

• Like 1

I had a cairn for 16 years, she was going downhill like your little guy was, making the decision to put her down  was the hardest thing I ever had to do. That was a year and a half ago. Life just wasn't the same without a cairn terrier in my life. I have since got another cairn, which has really helped, but reading about your heartbreak quickly brings the feelings back. Time helps, but I know I'll never forget her. I truly understand how you're feeling and will be thinking about you.

• Like 1

Min D, thank you for sharing. I know how sad you must have been. Years ago, we had a miniature schnauzer who lived to be 14 before we had to put her down. I didn't think I would love another dog and then, I found our little girl, who I love with all my heart (the cairn in my profile pic).  We adopted Max from the cairn rescue and he lived with us for over 13 years. While difficult to determine without a multitude of tests (and no treatment or cure, anyway), we made him as comfortable as possible until we felt the quality of life was not there. After much research, I believe he suffered with Degenerative Myelopathy that started about three years ago and progressed to final stages. By far, it was challenging to care for him but he made it easy because he was such a clean, tough little guy. We will miss him so much. I'm not sure if we will get another at this time. We may stick with just our little girl who is 13 1/2. Perhaps, take a breather later and travel. We love our dogs. :)

• Like 1