CairnTalk

Concerned about Maisie

LindaMC

Last night right before bedtime, Maisie, my 4 year old Cairn, got up from napping in the living room, walked into the kitchen, stooped and peed right in front of me, something she hasn't done since she was 5 months old.  When she got up this morning, she went outside and did her business and came right back in the house.  Not even an hour later, she peed on the floor again.  She would do this one more time before I had to go out and run some errands.  When I got home, there was another puddle on the floor, so by now I am pretty concerned.  Any thoughts?  Could this be a UTI?  Of course this would happen on the weekend so I won't be able to speak with her vet until Monday.  She hasn't been drinking an unusual amount of water, so I am a bit perplexed at where all this urine is coming from.  She didn't eat her breakfast this morning but that's not unusual for her.  I can't think of anything different going on with her other than giving her a Heartworm med on the 7th, which was over a week ago.  

I'm not sure if I should take her water up or leave it so I can monitor her intake.  I'm worried, I hope this has nothing to do with her kidneys.  Maisie has always been able to hold her urine for hours.  She could go to bed at 10:00 pm and still not need to go out in the morning until 8-9:00 am.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  I plan on taking her to the vets on Monday, providing I can get an appointment, if this continues over the weekend.

Edited by LindaMC

No don't take water away. Sounds like it might be a UTI. Grab a flatter type clean Tupperware container or as I did with Rosie, used my grannies silver serving spoon (it had a long handle) and get a sample and take it right away to either your vet or emergency. They will be able to know right away if she has a UTI and will get her on antibiotics. Don't wait, she is probably very uncomfortable. If it's an infection it will only get worse and cause more pain and more issues.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Agree with Terrier lover. It does sound like UTI. Get sample and take with you to vet. And also agree don't take up her water. Dogs need to drink.

• Like 1

She's definitely uncomfortable.  I just took her for a walk and she kept trying to pee but nothing was coming out and when she tried to pee she'd stoop in that position for a long time trying to pee.  I did not take up her water;  I need to get a sample and with nothing coming out, I'm hoping she'll drink more water so I can get something.  My vet doesn't open until Monday morning so I might have to wait until then, the Emergency Vet is quite a ways from me and my car is being fixed so I won't have access to it until Monday.  My car went over a huge hole in the road and cracked my Flex pipe.  Yep, when it rains it sure does pour.  :(    Right now I'm a nervous wreck worrying about her and hating that I might have to wait another day.  Hopefully, I can find somebody available to give me a ride.

Edited by LindaMC

Don't worry about if you can't get a sample. Just get her to emerg anyway you can. They can take a sample with a small needle (it doesn't hurt them).  Does your own vet not have an emergency number?  I would definitely call him/her  or the emerg clinic. I know we have some pharmacies here that deal in animal and human drugs. If so they might be willing to send in a prescription.  Or perhaps the emerg clinic has someway of helping you get her there? Give them a call anyway.  And not that I want to alarm you, but if she has a bladder stone blocking her capabilities to pee, that ramps up into a really big problem very fast.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I'm trying my best to get a ride, I'm waiting on a friend, hopefully she will come through.  In the meantime, I have given Maisie a tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar in a couple of tbsp. of plain yogurt and she gobbled it down.  According to a couple of holistic sites on the web, it's supposed to help in both UTI's and Bladder infections.  It can't hurt and may help a little until I can get her looked at. 

Thanks for all your help, it is so very much appreciated.

My vet does not have an emergency number, wish they did.  I will keep you updated.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

I was typing a response when your latest post popped up.  I hope you can get her to the emergency vet today and get this sorted out.  Poor thing is probably miserable.  Please give us an update later if you have the chance!

• Like 1

Wondering how Maisie is?

• Like 1

Sorry for the late response, we had family over yesterday and wasn't able to log in.  Maisie is doing a lot better, hasn't had any accidents in the house since Saturday night.  She's eating now and full of energy.  I still notice that she will sometimes stay in the squat position a little longer than usual but not nearly as much as she was doing on Saturday.  I spoke with the vet's office this morning and have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.  I find it odd that they don't want to see her immediately,

I've been giving her Apple Cider Vinegar in her water and food and it appears to be helping.   She's due to go in for her annual 4DX and 3 year rabies shot in less than two weeks, which concerns me but if she isn't 100% better, they will test her before giving her any shots.  I've also been holding off on giving her Frontline plus and have been using holistic spray instead.  The weather is so warm here and there are lots of ticks out, so I've been keeping a constant eye on her so she doesn't go near any tall grass of leftover leaves from last fall.  After she sees the vet tomorrow, I will let you know how she makes out.  

Thank you all for being concerned about my girl, it really means alot to me to have the support of this forum.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 5

Very glad to hear Maisie is feeling better!  Wonder if she had a stone and passed it?  I'll be interested to hear what the vet says tomorrow.

• Like 3

Well it turns out that Maisie does have a urinary tract infection after all and is now on Amoxicillin.  I had to wait for the tests results to come back and just went in and picked up her prescription.  So relieved to know that she will now be on the mend.  

Thanks for all your help and input.

• Like 6