CairnTalk

Sam I Am

Mid April... not having fun! Cabin fever, need to get out in the soil, smell the dirt!:soap:

IMG_0145.JPG

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

This has been a long, long winter in these climes as well.  We had just a bit of corn snow this morning but, finally, the trees are budding out, the golf course is open so as long as I can dress for the weather and the cart heater is still working, our girls are golfing widows for a few hours a day.
I think I've forgotten what heat and perspiration feels like.

The snow just keep on falling up here. At least for most part it kills many evil insects etc.....humppppp....I think I would put up with some bugs about now. So it looks like growing season will be the end of May to perhaps  and hopefully mid September without frost.  As a gardener up here you develop a good sense of humour...no delicate things grow up here...they just look awful and die. At least Rosie given her Scottish heritage seems to thrive in the cold..

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

You all just pack your bags and move to  Jonesborough,Tennessee. It is 82 today. We have had a mild winter this year. Only one snow that amounted to anything. We can sometimes get 2 or 3 good snows (anything above 2 inches, but usually under 10)  Its a great place for  a Cairn, a lot of Scotch and Irish History here. Even when we get a few good snows we will get breaks in-between them with 70 degree temps.   So Just pack your bags and come on down. We'll start a Cairn Community. LOL

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lynn in TN said:

You all just pack your bags and move to  Jonesborough,Tennessee. It is 82 today. We have had a mild winter this year. Only one snow that amounted to anything. We can sometimes get 2 or 3 good snows (anything above 2 inches, but usually under 10)  Its a great place for  a Cairn, a lot of Scotch and Irish History here. Even when we get a few good snows we will get breaks in-between them with 70 degree temps.   So Just pack your bags and come on down. We'll start a Cairn Community. LOL

A Cairn Commune!  I'm in!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

woke up to this this morning! 

IMG_0147.JPG

Idaho Cairns

We are experiencing almost the same thing down here.  Fortunately the snow has decreased but that leaves a dreadful rain almost every day--we have become soggy and the forecast is for more to come.  I'm sure my memory is bad but I don't remember a later Spring than this has been.  So many outside projects have been postponed, so many times the patio furniture cushions have been carried out of the garage and then back in to protect it. 
I'm sure we will eventually have a summer but.....????
If you can, please keep the white stuff up your way.

• Like 1

Someone posted on FB that lives here  only 246 days till Christmas!

Oh no Lynn!  You woke up to all that ugly white stuff this morning?  I'm not going to say a word about our weather because you'll come down here and box my ears.:shy:

• Like 2

Same here. Won't say anything about the fab walk on the fields with Angus, or the first time mowing this year or............but I'd better stop right now and just say it's spring everywhere and the snow has probably by the time you read this. Well sure hope so anyway!

• Like 1

Same here. Our park is in full glory... Tons of flowering, blooming cherry blossom trees, and of course tulips, daffodils, hydrangeas, etc., etc.:wub: 

I was going to take pix of all the splendor in the park today and post them on the forum, but I didn't want to rub it in!

If it's any consolation, the beauty is lost on Ruffy. I know for a fact that he would prefer to roll around in the Alberta or Idaho snow!:w00t:

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cry::soap:

Well We have mowed 3 times now, but by the looks of the rain, we are now getting, it will be waist high before we mow again. Trees here are fully green, daffodil blooms are gone, azaleas are in full bloom. It has been a cool rainy week at 62 degrees. Here are some springtime photos I took today. 

IMG_20170424_150958.jpg

• Like 3

Oh you are a cruel woman Lynn in TN! Azaleas do grow up here , but are stunted and not very impressive. Yours is absolutely beautiful!:thumbsup:

Same here Lynn - mowed three times now - but it's chilly - forecasting rain all week and 6" of snow in the Black Hills (500 miles away)  No blooms here and late on planting crops. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Idaho Cairns

Since our moderate clime  members persist in telling we Nanooks of the North about how pleasant their Spring has become I'll post up a short video of what our tough little Cairn/Husky girls have had to contend with this past Winter and are, to a slightly lesser extent, still dealing with.
Fortunately we aren't having to mop up after them this week--no snow, YET but the way this month is and has gone, it may be in the offing.

• Like 1

Oh Chuck....we were there a couple of days ago. Now we are getting wet flurries and it is still going below freezing at night. The only good thing is that we have had a few drought yrs, poor crops and hay costing a fortune. So for the farmers I am glad...but if it continues they won't be able to seed! I feel for Lori, what a tough way to make a living! 

It looks like Sami and Bonnie are having a riot! Rosie loves the snow also...perhaps it's their highland genes!

Edited by Terrier lover

Idaho Cairns

I think both of them are glad the snow is gone--almost, we are still getting occasional "corn snow"--skiffs once a week, because now that the weather is somewhat moderate they want out more often and stay out much longer.  Besides all that snow had the neighbors' decks semi-blocked and Sammi and Bonnie have been mooching treats from three of our group of condo owners and sitting in the snow--staring and waiting for a handout was pretty rugged on them.  Yes we have tried to discourage the neighbors' largesse but the dogs are much more persuasive than we are!

• Like 2

Love that video. So funny.  That white stuff makes me cold to look at it. I can't imagine still getting snow this late into the year. In our area we have had snow in April, but it doesn't happen very often. Maybe 3 times in my almost 46 years of life.

A break in running errands here in Minnesota - just checked and the "high" at 2:30 is a raw 39 degrees. Oban stayed at home under the blanket on the couch. Wish I was there with him.