CairnTalk

Tick and flea?

Account Deleted

Account Deleted

Hi I'm picking up Otis on Saturday he is three months old.

What kind of flea and tick treatment do you recommend ?

I have grassy areas and woods behind me,  and I plan on walking him and taking him out obviously to train him .

thanks!

Depends where you live. We live in central Alberta and so don't need to worry about ticks and fleas much. But lots on this site live in heavy tick/flea areas so will certainly give you good advice. He is so stinking cute!! 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I don't have a specific recommendation but you may want to check whether the topical and oral flea/tick preventatives can be used on a young pup.  

Anyone else have that info?

Account Deleted

Hi, The collar was recommended. It is good for 8 months.  Thank you for your advice !

yes, for a puppy they would certainly recommend a collar over a systemic medicine. TL's comment is right on --some places (an increasing number, unfortunately) have pervasive infestation by dangerous tics, but in some northerly areas dogs need protection only 4 to 6 months a year. i think there is no substitute for physical examination each evening and have a good tick key on hand. lyme disease takes about 24 hours to transmit the virus, but some paralytic ticks can take hold very, very quickly. 

• Like 1

Account Deleted

Thank you,  I made a wellness check for my Otis for next week and I did ask the question about the collar it's perfectly safe for his age .

I thank you all for the feedback. 

Angus lives in heavily tick flea environment. With the warmer winters in north PA these days I give protection all year. He has Bravecto and Sentinel. However your pup maybe too young for these so I would advise asking your vet to recommend the best for your area.