CairnTalk

Spondylosis

Dempsy's Mom

Dempsy has always had a weak back leg.  He tries so hard to keep up with Elsie on our walks.  Over the years, I have taken him in several times to have him checked out but nothing was ever done.  Well, it has been getting worse.  We have this new vet in town (Rachel) and I took him in this morning for a blood panel and X-rays.  We've had X-rays done before, but they said everything looked normal.  Well today it didn't.  Rachel did a nice feel of Dempsy's spine.  I was holding his behind and she hit the vertebraes right after his rib cage and Dempsy's butt went down.  Blood panel came out normal.  X-rays showed severe arthritis.  Dempsy grew new bone on his vertibraies to make up for the weakness.  No cure.  She sent me home with Meloxicam to help alleviate swelling and pain.  Monday I am supposed to check back.  Poo. Took these pics before we went into the vet.

IMG_0589.thumb.jpg.b27e0a3add10b04ffbed9eae8eabef23.jpgIMG_0590.thumb.jpg.47954a2d28b23c8e55d2bf89624b84bf.jpg

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

The good thing is that a normal blood panel is always welcoming. I find it interesting that the previous vets didn't see something on the X-rays ? That sort of injury should show up fairly easily . Don't give up Lori in regards to the vet saying there's isn't anything to be done. I don't know if you have a rehab clinic close by or a holistic vet, but I would certainly go in that direction. I have seen dogs dragging their paralyzed back ends which were helped tremendously by physio and body work. Our own clinic does amazing stuff with animals. Laser therapy, adjustments, water exercise, chiropractic help...the lists can go on. Do some research, get a second opinion. I don't like the answer she gave you. Don't give up.http://www.caninerehabinstitute.com/Find_A_Therapist.html

There are three clinics on the above site in South Dakota.

https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Poor Demps.  I hope the medication brings him some relief.  Did the vet say anything about a steroid injection?  I had a terrier mix years ago with a similar problem and the steroid injection helped enormously.  Didn't make her a puppy again but she was obviously much more comfortable.  

• Like 3

nasty news. been reading about management. i guess some days demps can take it easy inside while elsie does all the work. also, if i can suggest, the ruff-wear harness with the handle would make it easy for you to hoist him in and out of the gator. not cheap but i used it for redmon (when he was erroneously diagnosed with disc problems) and teddy, and it made life hugely easier and provided them a lot of comfort. looks very dashing too (this is the one designed for search-and-rescue dogs). feel better soon, guy!

• Like 2

Some sites say that swimming would be good.  Of the holistic clinics none of them are close.  Demps is happy and we will hobble along.  Right now he is wrestling with Elsie. I want him to have as much fun as he can.  I really like this vet and if there is something available to us I am sure she will do the best she can to help.  I like the ruff-wear harness idea.  We just went for a gator ride.  Thank you for your well wishes. 

We requested the old X-rays and they were taken in 2013.  They weren't digital.  They are forwarding them by mail, so I am curious as to what this vet will see when she views them. 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So sorry to read this news. The Ruff-Wear Harness that PK suggested might be very helpful. I used a similar type with a handle on top, for Carrington, when he developed spinal problems. It made it much easier for me to lift him when he needed an assist.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Aw, Demps, just don't try to do all the work yourself from now on!  You're the farm manager so just start delegating!

We don't have that brand of harness but we do have one with a handle on the top and they sure come in handy!  

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Dempsy so sorry to hear you are having issues. If you need back rubs I am sure all us girl Cairns will gladly volunteer to rotate in. Good luck buddy.

Sassy

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

3 hours ago, remltr said:

Dempsy so sorry to hear you are having issues. If you need back rubs I am sure all us girl Cairns will gladly volunteer to rotate in. Good luck buddy.

Sassy

Count me in!

Buffy

• Like 3

Count me in also ( a Scottish cousin) :hug:

Rosie 

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Hey Demps sorry to hear about your back problems. We cairns don't like to let go but maybe you could consider letting Elsie gain more experience by taking on a couple of your jobs now and them! Sounds like that Rachel is a nice (and competent) vet. Good luck buddy -Angus.

• Like 2

Oh dear - we all know how hard it is to try to contain a cairn's enthusiasm. I am not surprised that Demps is still wrestling Elsie and checking out the farm.  

Have you thought about acupuncture? There is a vet from China at the U of MN vet school clinic who does it. My cousin's dog went from limping to running around her farm after regular treatments.

Give him pats from me and tell him I'll come over and give him massage myself if it helps...

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 4

Idaho Cairns

Lori, as you know these Cairns can be tough little characters, even when it comes to living with pain--they seem to adjust and find ways to stay involved and with all the Cairn attractions your spread offers it is probably very likely that Demps won't take well to any recovery routine no matter how hard you try.
I'm kinda of the opinion that I let my dogs decide how much pain they can take--Sammi gave us a scare back in the early Fall--either got kicked by a deer or wrapped up in the leash of the neighbors Golden--we thought she was down for the count--couldn't/wouldn't move, had to be carried outside to potty, etc. but after a week or so she was back to her old self.
We've had good luck with baby aspirin for pain control--used in moderation that seems to bring relief to our girls. 
I'd probably be inclined to simply let Demps tell me when "how much" is "too much" -- trying a normal routine.  You run the risk of aggravating the arthritis but then...what the hey--Demps is a Cairn and Cairns of gotta do what Cairns of gotta do.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your little guy.

• Like 7

(Following Idaho) but if you get him a strong harness with a handle (the ruff-wear is nicely padded and very light), you can definitely prevent a lot of wear and tear on him by not waiting for him to ask you to hoist him up (because, following Idaho's logic, he probably won't) and simply lift him up and down. He will catch on and wait. Then you will need a couple of exercises for yourself! But with their long backs, cairns are terribly susceptible to all kinds of strain, excessive wear and degeneration, and it is always worth heading them off at the pass a bit when it comes to leaping in and out of things. They love it, but their backs definitely don't.

• Like 3

Dempsy will have a high quality of life whatever his activity level turns out to be...hope that his symptoms ease up with treatment/medication. 

Gus says, "I feel ya buddy, I've been having some back issues too."

• Like 2

Agree with Kathryn on the recommendation for acupuncture. There are some controlled studies supporting its efficacy for arthritis in dogs ... and there is no placebo effect with dogs (is there?).

• Like 3

"Dempsy will have a high quality of life whatever his activity level turns out to be" --definitely true. With some management and Demps' chipper attitude, he is going to enjoy a lot of life. 

• Like 3

We have had good luck with acupuncture on several dogs. It always amazed me to see 16 year old Haggis (who had spondylosis among other issues at his age) trudge into the clinic and come out with a little spring in his step that lasted for days (even a week or more).

To cut down on walking over-much perhaps Dempsey will start asking for the keys to the Gator more frequently. I say let him drive until he's so old he  starts needing glasses. 

• Like 9

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

If we had an acupuncture service close I would definitely try it.  We just returned home on Sunday from a short vacation - Demps and Els came along.  The medication didn't help Dempsy a lot so I called today and the vet put Demps on Tramadol for 3 days then Previcox to see if that would help. If it doesn't relieve the discomfort then she says the only thing left is steroids.  I don't think I want steroids ... do I?  When I picked up the meds our vet wasn't there so I didn't get to ask her some questions I had.  I agree with you all that Demps lets me know when he has had enough.  I hurts to see his spirit so lively and his body giving out.  We go out to check the cattle and I let them romp around in the pasture.  When Demps is tired I carry him back to the gator and he enjoys the ride home.  

I looked for a harness at some of the pet stores, but it seems I will have to order one on-line.  I have a gate at the stairs so Demps can't run up and down.  Thank you all for your concerns and well wishes.  

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori has your vet mentioned Adequan? I have used it on previous horses also and had good results.

https://www.adequancanine.us/

https://www.vetinfo.com/adequan-canine-osteoarthritis.html

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1