CairnTalk

Sam I Am

So I thought I would open a a discussion on pet insurance. I will put my two cents worth in with our experiences. Rosie is the first dog we have ever taken out insurance on. We decided that after Jock's health issues around his liver disease, costing us thousands in biopsies, x-rays, blood panels etc, that our next dog, Rosie the Scottie, would be fully covered. Am I ever glad we did. Rosie came to us as a youngster, 8 weeks old. She was insured from that day forth. For the first year of her being with us, we experienced an emergency spay, bad diarrhea issues (costing  a small fortune is blood work panels, thyroid panels, parasite panels etc) all of it being paid up to 90% of what we paid. Since then she has been a healthy wonderful wee companion. We did have one emergency issue when she had a rabies vaccine which triggered non stop vomiting. Mostly covered by the insurance. Phew!

I also have a couple of stories from two other dog friends I know. The first one was a fluffy 4 month old Maltese cross who decided to jump off the arm of a sofa onto a slippery wood floor. The surgery and care of the broken hip/femur cost close to $5000. They had insurance which covered most of it. The next story is one of love and devotion for an owner of a Canadian champion Welsh Terrier. This dog had won every title possible (not that that makes him anymore special than any of our dogs), however at 11 yrs of age he experienced a sudden collapse, almost no pulse, near death, was rushed to emergency and was in ICU for 5-6 days. The cost of that was $9000. Out of that cost $7000 was covered by insurance. The owner a younger widow could no where have afforded to pay this out than most of us. 

Most of my friends don't have insurance on their pets, perhaps and hopefully they will be the ones who never have to make the decision of, "I can't afford to pay this bill" . Veterinary costs are getting very high, a lot of the costs are because the treatments offered are very similar to ones we uprights get. The equipment involved is extremely expensive to purchase and maintain. So as we hopefully cross our fingers that a new baby Cairn pup will come into our household in July , whose name will be either Jack, Dash, Flash...or?  He too will have full coverage in the event and hopefully not, expensive treatment be required.

So that's just my view on pet insurance. The cost we all hate to have but in my world a must. My insurance for Rosie costs $59 Canadian Monthly. I look at it this way. A Starbucks latte costs $5, a couple of pizza dinners $30. So where is my priority. My dogs for sure.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Angus is at the vet right now with a tooth problem which is going to cost more than I expected. However over the life time of many dogs we have never bought insurance - just kept a savings account for dog needs. Luckily we have had healthy dogs with no major problems. And so have saved thousands of dollars.

As an aside - up in this rural isolated area we don't even have a Starbucks - few could afford it :D  Coffee for me on the rare occasions I stop for one is a Senior discount at McD for $0.69 US dollar. I rarely eat out.

I should do a survey but I think few if any people round here have insurance on their dogs. The vet does have Care Credit which is what people can use in an emergency.

I think paying for insurance may depend on where you live and the health of your own particular dogs plus your own financial situation.

• Like 3

Yes economics play a huge role no doubt. I pay insurance not because of general health problems but in the event of  the "big" ticket items like my two friends experienced. I can't imagine a vet coming to tell me I have a Very costly procedure about to happen and me having to say , "no, euthanize him/her". I will do without that dinner out, or forgo Other non necessities and pay the insurance. Understand this is only my personal feeling and not a critique on people that don't insure their pet. I don't insure my horse because that is beyond anything I can afford.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

1 hour ago, Terrier lover said:

My insurance for Rosie costs $59 Canadian Monthly. I look at it this way. A Starbucks latte costs $5, a couple of pizza dinners $30. So where is my priority. My dogs for sure.

Excellent point, Lynn.  

We don't have insurance on Buffy and Ziggy and, as they have grown older, I wish we *had* purchased it.  Any future dog of mine will definitely be covered by insurance.

• Like 1

One thing I should have noted that if you take out insurance , you should do it as a youngster that is healthy, with no existing health problems to start off (for the best rates). Depending on the insurance company there are different circumstances on how and what is insured. If anyone is interested in the company I use (it's an American company) please send me a private message. They have been and continue to be a company that has been 100% supportive and flexible on things like changing your deductive etc.

Edited by Terrier lover

We went with Pet Plan after Teddy the Labrador ended up with elbow dysplasia before a year of age - $5000 later - his hips are fine and are covered but never the elbows again.  Pepper the Cairn also has a Pet Plan account - had to have her teeth cleaned before they would cover any future teeth issues...We thought we would never need pet insurance but we learned the hard way...Pepper costs around $35 a month and Teddy the lab is around $25 a month...went with the high deductible.  We just bought this insurance 1 year ago....

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

The insurance co we deal with has no set limit and as long as it's not pre existing, the same injured area can be revisited and claimed. I did have horse insurance once on a very expensive youngster I had many years ago. He injured his hip in a fall, and the insurance company I dealt with said they would not cover that part of his anatomy a second time. I cancelled the insurance. So yes as Hillcreek stated, shop around, read the small print and get the best plan that works for you.

• Like 1

We also got health insurance for Rocky when he was a puppy. He is the first dog we got insurance for. We pay about $60.00 per month. It already helped with neutering and some other expenses so I think it is well worth it.

Never thought of insurance, but as of Wednesday of this week, wish I had. Keira had a couple of accidents in the house and upon cleaning them, noticed a strong offensive odor. At the vet, evidence of bladder stones, new food. needless to say the new food is quite expensive and hope surgery does not have to be done. 

Kiera's mum,I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that no surgery is required. Depending on the stones , the ones that appear from a bladder infection can be cured with antibiotics. Did the vet do a urine culture?

Yes,  they are not from infection, he said lots of water, which I now put on top of her food. He said  all the carrots and green beans she wants which i put in with her food. I  have a lot of trust with our vet and know he  will keep  on top of this. Thanks