CairnTalk

New family member, male or female?

Corn Niblet

Greetings everyone. I am excited to say that Rocky our 1 year and 2 month old neutered male, is getting a new friend!  The question is would a female cairn puppy be best or another male or does it matter?  This would be a full or half sibling from a different litter. (same father and mother or same father different mother) Hope that makes sense.  Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

I know people on this site have same  sex dogs in their house  with success. We have always had one male and one female so I don't speak  from experience. We are waiting for our Cairn boy (hopefully) to join our household with Rosie our Scottie female. I know breeders that say two females in the same household can be very tricky and if things go south, they really go south bad. 

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Have preferred two males or male and female (if neutered) together. Avoided two females together of any breed I've had because of potential arguments.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Good choice, I have had two females, different breeds but close in age, in my home and what started out as a well formed friendship, turned out to be disastrous.  I think a boy and a girl is an excellent choice.  Good luck! 

• Like 3

Idaho Cairns

Have always enjoyed two female Cairns in household with ne'er a problem of dominance from either dog. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Looks like it will be another male. We let the puppy pick us this time instead of the other way around, and it will be a "Gus" (Looks like a popular name)  We will be bringing him home April 7. (about 9 weeks old)  Right now we are getting everything ready for him, but it is always the unknowns that you can't prepare for that worry me the most. Like what will Rocky think? Will he like him? Be jealous? I have been advised not to let them be unattended together for the first 30 days. I am getting a little nervous, but I guess all expectant moms do.

• Like 1

Agree with Idaho. I love that pic Idaho!

I also found the older dog or dogs teach the younger by example - puppy wants to do what the others do. Nowadays I have just Angus and it was quite a bit harder to teach him when he was young without another dog to help me! I have almost always had more than one dog together and it has always been more fun that way - for them and for me.

Things will work out I'm sure and you will be so happy to have two! 

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 3

Hi all, I haven't posted for awhile, but thought I'd weigh in on this one. I got my little Wally about a year ago, knowing that my then 13-year old female westie's time was dwindling. My hope was to have her help with training as some of you have mentioned, and boy, did it ever make a difference. My previous dogs were 'onlies,' and the training with Wally took a fraction of the time that it did with the other dogs. Now, of course Cairns are awfully smart, but I'm certain he watched and learned from my westie - saw him do it, in fact. Good luck to you with the new pup, and enjoy every minute!

Edited by Cara L
  • Like 3

Thank you  Idaho for that beautiful picture!  Everyone here has put my mind at ease. I will post pictures of little Gus as soon as I can.

• Like 1

My male, Rylee, and female, Elsa, get along really well. They also balance each other out. Rylee is really hyper and a free spirit while Elsa is a very trainable and well behaved dog

• Like 1