CairnTalk

Frankie has Addison's Disease

Tami

Yesterday afternoon we almost lost our youngest family member, Frankie. He was unresponsive and in trouble when we got to the vet. Luckily she suspected Addison's and immediately changed out his regular IV fluid to sodium to replenish those levels. Then she gave him a steroid shot. Within about 20 minutes his eyes began tracking us. He still didn't move his head or body but at least he began to respond to stimuli. After two hours of fluids and some blood work (and another shot of steroids), we transferred him to the 24hr ER so that he could be on fluids overnight. Hopefully we'll be able to bring him home later this afternoon, evening. But by 6am this morning he was sitting up and perking up at all the activity in the ER treatment room. (On a side note, wow, they have an amazing treatment facility. It had lots of kennels, tables, equipment, a couple ORs, and of course 24 hr staff!)

So now apparently we have to give him a monthly steroid injection and he will have to have an oral steroid pill every time he will be in a stressful situation (travel, visitors, boarding etc). At least it's treatable. But I have to say that I was beyond scared yesterday afternoon to be holding on to my little cuddlebug and not see any movement from him. It really was touch and go for a while. Thank goodness for the quick actions of our vet. (He was seen the week before and we all thought that he just had a stomach virus. But when he got a bit worse and I called her she said to bring him in.)

He's just two years old. Apparently Addison's usually presents in mid-age spayed females but it can affect males as well. The ER vet said that she saw a 1 yr old male that had it.

I'm still a bit shaken. 

• Like 1

Cheers,

Tami

Shaken indeed — what a close call. So grateful that your vet was able to get to the source so quickly and that response was positive and rapid. Whew! 

You are so right that the level of technology and resources available these days is amazing … it still usually comes down to the people in the end.  

Now get rested and get ready to get rowdy Frankie.  As a two-year-old you have a job to do. 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

What a scare!  Thank heavens you got him to the vet right away and *especially* that the vet got the diagnosis right on the first try.   

Frankie is a very handsome boy, by the way.  Love the pics!

• Like 2

what a terriftying experience.  i hope frankie is back to himself very soon. we have a few addison's threads here, a very daunting disease but, as you say, manageable. good on you for getting him to the ER and through this devastating episode. 

• Like 2

Our Kirby was diagnosed with Addison's just over a year ago.  He also gets a monthly injection of Percorten-V and daily Prednisone.  If you're on Facebook, I urge you to join this group, Canine Addison's Resources and Education.  If you're not in Facebook, check out their website.  They were of immense help to me at diagnosis and I still ask questions as needed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanineAddisonsResourcesAndEducation/?ref=ts&fref=tsp

http://canineaddisons.org/

The group advocates a low-dose protocol that many vets aren't aware of, and it's worked well for us.  After working for a number of months to get Kirby to a good point, I now give him the monthly shots myself.  It saves some money and our vet was happy to teach me and get us set up.  They provide the Percorten but you can also order it online.  I get his Prednisone from Walgreen's; we're in their prescription med club family plan and they let you add pets!  It gives us a nice discount for the Pred.

Canine Addison's is scary when they have a crisis but it's manageable and dogs can live a long life.  You'll see that if you join the group.  We've had some ups and downs with Kirby but overall he's doing well.  This summer, he went hiking with us in the Rockies!

Frankie is a doll and I'm sure you'll figure it out.  Take your time and let me know if you have questions!

• Like 3
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thank goodness you were able to get the right help right away. Future looks pretty good for Frankie  - little terror that he must be at two!!! I remember so well with Angus. I can tell by the look in his eye that he is planning to let you know he is back in business!

• Like 2

He's home! A little tired and weak, but he's eating a bit and he will do the biting the air trick. And he stole one of my socks. Made me feel sooooo good to see that. Thank you kjwarnold for the advice about the FB group, I just requested it as well as another one. 

• Like 5

Cheers,

Tami

Wow! I'm so glad that Frankie is okay and wish you all the best. Also, it is a blessing to have received a diagnosis and good vets! These scares are truly disturbing. Hoping all good news from here!