CairnTalk

Tri-Heart Chewables and Inflammatory Bowel Disease experience

gd4

Hello, all,

My little girl was recently diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. She underwent exploratory surgery on 12/23. Since that time, she was put on a hypo-allergenic diet, Hill's Prescription D/D - Venison and Potato. She only take hypo-allergenic treats. In the past, she has taken Tri-Heart Chewable and Frontline for fleas ticks.  Does anyone give their pups with IBD Heartgard or do you use a topical heartworm such as Revolution or Paradyne?

I really appreciate your help. I am concerned with using two topics and introducing Revolution to her since she has never taken it before.

Best!

Gina

Edited by gd4

Not sure it helps. But in our house we use Heartguard tablets for heartworm control. Our girls have each their own skin and internal problems. So in order to keep from having problems with heartworm, dermatologist suggested tablets. No die, no added flavor, just a plain ole tablet. Add honey to go down....and wha la :lol:, down the hatch they go:P.

As for flea control, we have chosen to use a topical spray. Only used when we see them having trouble with itches...or just see the buggers:nono:

Puts less stress on them and us.

Hope you have found or will find what works for you. Paws up to Trinity and Max from Sulley and Betsy

• Like 1

Thank you! Paws up to Sulley and Betsy!

Well, I chose to go ahead and give her the usual heartworm tab that she has taken for years (Tri-Heart Plus). I am hopeful that she will not have an IBD reaction to the flavoring on the tab. I didn't know that you could buy them unflavored? The Frontline flea treatment is not so much the issue since it is topical. She and our boy Cairn, Max, seem to tolerate well.

Let's keep fingers crossed that there is no gut reaction to the tablet!

Gina;)

Edited by gd4

• 1 month later...

Just an update. This is the second month that I have given my girl her usual Tri-heart chewable without issues. I did not switch her to the Revolution due to the IBD. We shall see :)

Gina

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello, all,

An update on my sweet girl. She is still doing well. In fact, her visit to the doc proved well on Monday. She has gained 2 lbs and up to 15 lbs. 12 oz! Her IBD is being controlled. I am still keeping her on a limited ingredient diet; duck and venison seem to work for her. She takes Metronidazole daily.

She is now 13 and 1/2 years old :)

Best to all,

Gina

• Like 4